Legal EBIKE LOOPHOLES

E-Bike user 312

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2024
I have a question for anyone knowledgeable about e-bikes. I’m wondering if there are any legal loopholes or ways to bypass the 15.5 mph (25 km/h) speed limit. In my experience, 20 mph (32 km/h) feels like a sweet spot, especially when I’m riding on dirt tracks or private roads. I know I could just pedal manually to go faster, but I’m curious if there’s a legal way to achieve that speed with the motor.

Also, do police usually stop you for going a bit over the limit?

I often ride my e-bike to university and while I do pass by police cars frequently, I’ve never been stopped. I live near the edge of the ULEZ zone, not in the heart of London. From what I’ve seen, police seem to have a general idea of what an illegal e-bike looks like, and as long as it’s not obvious, they don't seem too bothered. My e-bike has an option to increase the speed, but I only ever use it on private roads or dirt tracks, where you're more likely to see horses than people (and definitely no police around).

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks a lot!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a question for anyone knowledgeable about e-bikes. I’m wondering if there are any legal loopholes or ways to bypass the 15.5 mph (25 km/h) speed limit. In my experience, 20 mph (32 km/h) feels like a sweet spot, especially when I’m riding on dirt tracks or private roads. I know I could just pedal manually to go faster, but I’m curious if there’s a legal way to achieve that speed with the motor.

I often ride my e-bike to university and while I do pass by police cars frequently, I’ve never been stopped. I live near the edge of the ULEZ zone, not in the heart of London. From what I’ve seen, police seem to have a general idea of what an illegal e-bike looks like, and as long as it’s not obvious, they don't seem too bothered. My e-bike has an option to increase the speed, but I only ever use it on private roads or dirt tracks, where you're more likely to see horses than people (and definitely no police around).

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks a lot!
There are no loopholes. 15.5mph is definitive.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
It's only the law, so probably only intended for guidance.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
TLDR - No.

Police wont stop you for speeding on an 'analog' bike, you tubes black belt barrister has a vid on it explaining better than I ever could

And right now you probably wouldnt raise an eyebrow passing plod at 20mph uphill with your feet at rest, but tomorrow? - Chances are the current status quo will continue, with only those forcing plods hand by being involved in a RTA for example facing consequences.

However on discovery any bike insurance would be null and void, and any accident your involved in would automatically be your fault, and liability.

Also while most 250w rated hub motors will have a top speed 19-22mph perhaps more? the acceleration between 15-20mph is not as rapid and 'wheee' inspiring as the acceleration upto 15mph. and if capable of ridding at that speed your probably gonna get bored waiting for the motor and pedal it yourself anyway.

Think how fast any ICE machine accelerates its last 10mph of max speed, the top end on an unrestricted ebike is comparable.

Larger faster motors will place you firmly outside the regs unless you go the e-moped route which involves insurance license etc..

Dont let anyone in a pub/bar/union tell you because conversion kits are not explicitly covered by the regs - you can do whatever, - not the case - dont go all USA-sovereign citizen over a bloody ebike ffs.

So Sure you can ride a de-restricted bike, its not tricky and in most cases can be achieved with an exchange of the control system to one with an open configuration if no hacks or cracks or dongles are available.

Might be worth giving a within regs ebike a go first, let it whizz u upto 15 mph when you can take over if you want to ;)

Reactions: SkyMonkey

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:cool:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Yup, 15.5 mph is definitive and measurable. I suppose it's arguable that they would have to put a speed gun on you as 'on the stand' speed is not a true representation as it does not account for wind and rolling resistance.
However, to be legal, the motor should cut off when 15.5 is registered, again definitive.
A motor marked as 250w is also definitive, but the amount of power put through that motor is not defined. So a higher current controller will get you up hills faster with less effort from you. But, if you zoom past a police car whilst not pedaling you're asking for it.
I don't think I'd want to be arguing the finer points of eapc law, at the roadside, with a member of the met.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
There may be as sort of loophole in that there seems to be a 10% tolerance for error suggested in the European (EN15194) standard, so this seems to suggest that a top speed of 17 mph would be acceptable. Perhaps someone could clarify if this is indeed the actual case in UK law ?

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
There may be as sort of loophole in that there seems to be a 10% tolerance for error suggested in the European (EN15194) standard, so this seems to suggest that a top speed of 17 mph would be acceptable. Perhaps someone could clarify if this is indeed the actual case in UK law ?

piratepete

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2024
Usually? No. However, sting operations have been happening all over the country for several years now with most of them in London. They will stop every ebike they see to inspect and seize and fine any that don't conform which would include yours. You can look up the punishments and consequences online. These operations have only increased in frequency. You might feel it's worth the risk but if you do it everyday forever you will get caught out.

Also, mopeds are cheap and do 30mph.
I sold my ebike. | Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

you can remove it in seconds my bosch bike can go 40mph on the flat and plod wont chase me :(
And how has that worked out for you?

Seven days after showing us how you were averaging 35 miles an hour, this happened:

Well i had abig one today and crashed on some wet grass going about 25mph.
Part of coller bone broken.
Ribs broken right side.
Pelvis broken left and right.
Right hip muliti fractures
Left also has a small fracture.
Internal bleeding lost 2.5l of blood.
Back has a fracture.
Left thumb swolen.
And have to go to bristol for repaires dand only just had som morphine.

And some prick has robbed one of my shoes.

Bike dont look to bad mech hanger is totaled back brake is jammed on but thats about it

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Az. and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20241002_151717[1].jpg

i got pip for 2 years 600 quid a month ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The DfT have confirmed to us that the 10% tolerance applies to all UK speed limits.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my jsa has gone to 200 quid a week :eek:
20241003_001353[1].jpg20241003_001420[1].jpg
1400 quid a month :p and i got a flat for sale 86k ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im a drug dealer i dont pay tax :eek:

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
bugger me i might sign on then thats 2x my income after tax and ni.. then again i dont have to deal with anyone working for the dhss which is worth a grand in ni a year alone..