Lead or Lithium?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I often look at second hand bikes on Ebay. Often, the seller is not technically minded. and does not know what type of battery is fitted. This is important to me, because the battery is the great unknown in second hand bikes. I am I right in thinking that virtually all bikes that have the battery fitted between the seat tube and rear mudguard have lead acid batteries?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello Neptune,
No that is not technically true. A good indicator would be the weight of the bike or even finding out what make / model the bike is.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
No, not at all.....weight is often the great decider.

Hey guys, this is a nice quiet peaceful thread isnt it ?
Think I might hide out here for a while amongst friends :D

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are very few SLA (lead acid) bikes now. At one time there were a few with rear of seatpost battery, but if new they mostly only exist on ebay now. Apart from weight, size gives a clue, since rear of seat tube SLA batteries are rather big in side-view width.

For example these photos, the Powacycle Milan with SLA, versus the Powacycle Salisbury with lithium:

Last edited:

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Many thanks for all replies. A bike I am watching at the moment is described as a "milan 2" and looks like the one shown by flecc above . So it is likely to be SLA. unless the "2" denotes a later model with a Lithium battery.
Does anyone know for sure, please?

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
No, not at all.....weight is often the great decider.

Hey guys, this is a nice quiet peaceful thread isnt it ?
Think I might hide out here for a while amongst friends :D

And me too :)

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I am now a member (rather than new member) just seen. Does that mean I am fully fledged:) and I can let my wings out now?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I am now a member (rather than new member) just seen. Does that mean I am fully fledged and I can let my wings out now?
Just try a few practice flaps on the branch first before flying high......you dont want to hit the ground and a nasty big cat come and eat you up......there are a few old tom cats on here sometimes trying to masquerade as tigers... :D :D

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@Lynda. The bit about a few practice flaps reminds me of man`s early attempts to fly . Legend has it that many experimenters died through strapping on home made wings with feathers attached, and then leaping from a tower. I always wondered why . You don`t see an eagle climbing loads of steps before take off! If it`s going to work, a three foot high starting point would be more than enough...

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Just try a few practice flaps on the branch first before flying high......you dont want to hit the ground and a nasty big cat come and eat you up......there are a few old tom cats on here sometimes trying to masquerade as tigers... :D :D

Lynda Imao you are the one for humour.

@Lynda. The bit about a few practice flaps reminds me of man`s early attempts to fly . Legend has it that many experimenters died through strapping on home made wings with feathers attached, and then leaping from a tower. I always wondered why . You don`t see an eagle climbing loads of steps before take off! If it`s going to work, a three foot high starting point would be more than enough...
Neptune the do or die technique appeals to me too. Which one should I go for?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Try the back door step donkeydoo.......we dont want to lose you after only 45 posts :D

Need to glean all your knowledge first before you get thrown to the wolves.....errr.....tigers :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Nah....your wrong Neptune....they needed the height to get lift off......eagles have a head start.....lots more feathers and much less weight :D
And at least those experimenters soon learnt to fling themselves off high towers into water......that had to help a little bit, personally I wouldnt do it into anything less than a very deep vat of rose' wine :D

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Try the back door step donkeydoo.......we dont want to lose you after only 45 posts :D

Need to glean all your knowledge first before you get thrown to the wolves.....errr.....tigers :D

Back door step it is then. Wolves and Tigers are all the same. Predators. I did have four cats (i know you have a dog) cats names were Tricksie twoshoes (deceased), Leo 4 paws (deceased). Madame 2 claws (alive and annoying me now by snoring) and the runt of the family Butt faced Brambles. Got to inject her twice daily as she has diabetes amongst a multitude of other problems. Just to let you you know I am a hard B**terd too despite their names. Bring the Predators on. Oh forgot I have some knowledge but that is yet to be shared :eek: Take it easy Kev

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Neptune...Lead acid bikes on e-bay are now very cheap....others on here will advise the life and cost of lead acid replacement batteries....the heavy lead acid battery and heavy old design bike can be up to 35/37 kg whereas an average lithium battery bike with ally modern frame can be 23/27 kg. The heavy lead acid bike is very unpleasent to ride unassisted and even pedalling with power is still moving a lot of weight-every old lead acid e-bike I see seems to be ridden with a throttle and the pedals used as footrests,rarely pedalled.
Lithium battery prices are now so much more competitive priced so the reason to have a lead acid battery becomes less economic....
Dave
KudosCycles

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
I am now a member (rather than new member) just seen. Does that mean I am fully fledged:) and I can let my wings out now?
I also noticed I have become a member, made me very proud, although - - -

What's in a name? that which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet;

Still this forum is a great place to spend 30 minutes before bedtime also great for technical information.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Back door step it is then. Wolves and Tigers are all the same. Predators. I did have four cats (i know you have a dog) cats names were Tricksie twoshoes (deceased), Leo 4 paws (deceased). Madame 2 claws (alive and annoying me now by snoring) and the runt of the family Butt faced Brambles. Got to inject her twice daily as she has diabetes amongst a multitude of other problems. Just to let you you know I am a hard B**terd too despite their names. Bring the Predators on. Oh forgot I have some knowledge but that is yet to be shared Take it easy Kev

LOVE your cats names......and if YOU named them.......you can protest all you like....but.....I know what that means.....I have had a Sshnumpy wumpy you know.... :D (lilac persian...recently deceased )

And its FOUR dogs.....Ricirici,(liver probs, daily meds ), Chicken Tikka Masala, Golly wolly and Mee Mee :D
(but between them they dont make half a german shepherd )

Look forward to the sharing........meanwhile, watch that step :D