Lead or Lithium?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If you are into diy, retro fitting LiPo to replace lead is fairly straight forward and cheap operation, 24v 10 amp of Lipo plus charger is around $150 au and if you choose the appropriate voltage to suit your controllers cut off that is all you need beside the ability to fit the appropriate connectors, and to understand the cautions on using unprotected LiPo.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@Kudoscycles. You are bang on about the difference between the old lead acid bikes and Lithium. Having said that , lead acid provides a way into ebikes for the financially challenged like me . I shall ultimately go to lithium , probably as Geebee suggests . An interim step will be to increase the gearing of my SLA bike so I can pedal at higher speeds . I paid £85 for my bike , but have had £1000 worth of fun already. I admit that I only pedal about 20% of the time at present, using it as a low power moped. However, I do a ten mile daily run on my pedal bike for exercise. I expect that many people who buy a cheap lead acid bike on Ebay will later move up market.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
SLA may be heavy and have less capacity vs size and weight but they are cheap and can be re-cycled. Of course Lithium is better but not everybody can afford it plus for replacement you are not stuck with a single supplier or form factor.

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
There is too much emphasis on having the latest kit these days,i wanted to ''test the water'' and so bought a( SLA) Izip Ezgo for £250 of E.bay,ok the battery is heavy but its a powered bike so i dont care about that.I also have the latest kit for viewing tv and recording,but i still watch films on my VCR from charity shops,my car is a 03 Ford Ka,gets me where i want to go.Enjoy what you have,i watch a lot of documentaries on tv about people in Africa,China and India etc.they have b####r all in life compared to me but they all seem happy.End of sermon for today.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is too much emphasis on having the latest kit these days,i wanted to ''test the water'' and so bought a( SLA) Izip Ezgo for £250 of E.bay,ok the battery is heavy but its a powered bike so i dont care about that.I also have the latest kit for viewing tv and recording,but i still watch films on my VCR from charity shops,my car is a 03 Ford Ka,gets me where i want to go.Enjoy what you have,i watch a lot of documentaries on tv about people in Africa,China and India etc.they have b####r all in life compared to me but they all seem happy.End of sermon for today.
Exactly right, possessions will never make someone happy, at best they can only add to happiness.