Is this the bike for you?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
S3700002.jpg
Nearly 60 years ago as a Boy Scout I regularly wore this knife on my belt. Not only was it legal, but no-one at all was concerned.
Trying to ride these over-powered ebikes as e-bikes not motorcycles is just the same as if I tried to wear this knife and claim it was made of plastic.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
So it is ok to have a legal 15mph bike which is capable of 30 plus mph downhill,but a bike capable of 15mph uphill suddenly becomes classed as unsafe,most people on here just want a bike powerfull enough to climb hills easilly,the legal bikes are no good for heavier people or anybody with a disabillity.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
View attachment 4139
Nearly 60 years ago as a Boy Scout I regularly wore this knife on my belt. Not only was it legal, but no-one at all was concerned.
Trying to ride these over-powered ebikes as e-bikes not motorcycles is just the same as if I tried to wear this knife and claim it was made of plastic.
Emotive rubbish and a logical inconsistency.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
View attachment 4139
It's not even the same :rolleyes:

Oh and by the way, I have a knife just like that that's always strapped to my belt when I go camping and I don't have any bother.

There is one way the two scenarios are linked though. Act like a dick and make a scene and you'll have problems. Act responsibly, be careful and cautious and no one will bat an eyelid.

Ride a 25mph ebike carefully, with full lights, that looks like a normal bike and show due care and consideration to pedestrians and other road users and you'll pass under the radar undetected. However, ride a 15mph ebike like a cock, cutting up cars and buzzing pedestrians and you'll give all ebikers a bad name.

See the difference? It's called personal responsibility - something some people on here seem happy to sign over to the government.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011

Ride a 25mph ebike carefully, with full lights, that looks like a normal bike and show due care and consideration to pedestrians and other road users and you'll pass under the radar undetected. However, ride a 15mph ebike like a cock, cutting up cars and buzzing pedestrians and you'll give all ebikers a bad name.

See the difference? It's called personal responsibility - something some people on here seem happy to sign over to the government.
It is illegal.
If you want to break the law, go ahead and accept the consequences.
If you collide with anything, you will not be insured and an innocent person could suffer the consequences of your 'personal responsibility'

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012

Oh and by the way, I have a knife just like that that's always strapped to my belt when I go camping and I don't have any bother.

There is one way the two scenarios are linked though. Act like a dick and make a scene and you'll have problems. Act responsibly, be careful and cautious and no one will bat an eyelid.

But this isn't a 25mph Ebike. It's a 40mph Ebike.

You can ride as responsibly as you like, but the pedestrian who steps out in front of you, or the other cyclist who swerves in front of you aren't guaranteed to do so.

Hit one of those at 40mph and you'll kill them, possibly yourself as well.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011

You can ride as responsibly as you like, but the pedestrian who steps out in front of you, or the other cyclist who swerves in front of you aren't guaranteed to do so.

You don't have to ride it at @ 40mph you know.

Just like I don't have to drive my Cosworth at 150mph :) But there are times when I've had it @ 140mph in a safe and controlled manner ;)

Last edited:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton

The fact that the bike can reach speeds of 40mph, does not mean one would venture to ride so fast. The Bugatti Veyron can reach speeds of 258mph, but no normal person would consider driving those speed on the public highways, but they are street legal cars. All the dangers that have been mentioned are not faults of the higher powered bike but of the irresponsibility of the rider, and would be just as dangerous on a limited bike. I find a lot of these WHAT IF scernarios are just as applicable to nonpowered, limited, and highpowered bikes equally.

Ps, Please not the boy scout, and sheath Knife, example, I never understood it the first time ?

Last edited:

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012
You don't have to ride it at @ 40mph you know.

Just like I don't have to drive my Cosworth at 150mph :) But there are times when I've had it @ 140mph in a safe and controlled manner ;)
OK, so the conclusion we have come to is that the thing is entirely pointless. It can do over 40mph, but not a single one of us would ever do that.

Might as well save some weight, and remove one of the motors, no?

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
OK, so the conclusion we have come to is that the thing is entirely pointless. It can do over 40mph, but not a single one of us would ever do that.

Why, when it could get help some elderly or disabled riders to get up a steep hills at a speed of 15.5.mph with little or no effort at all, Yes?

Last edited:

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012
Why, when it could get help some elderly or disabled riders to get up steep hills at a speed of 15.5.mph with little or no effort at all.
Lost you there.

I'm entirely in favour of elderly or disabled riders going up hills at 15.5mph. Sounds splendid.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Lost you there.

I'm entirely in favour of elderly or disabled riders going up hills at 15.5mph. Sounds splendid.
If you have a bike that goes 40mph then it has the power to climb hills etc. Its not all about the speed but the POWER !!

Last edited:

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012
If you have a bike that goes 40mph then it has the power to climb hills etc. Its not all about the speed but the POWER !!
Yeah, but unless I misunderstood, the Ebay auction and much of this thread is about the speed.

I'm not getting sanctimonious about it, or boy scout/knifey. If that's what floats your boat, so be it. I just agree with others that think 40+ mph on a machine with 1" forks, 1" wide tyres, and a 150mm disk to stop it and 15kg of batteries sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

But if you're only planning to go uphill at 15.5mph, we're all good.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not necessarily, for a given power it's the opposite. The old Torq 1 and the Quando had identical electrics throughout. The motor in the Torq was in a 700c (28") wheel and it powered to 22 mph but with poor hill climbing as a result. The identical motor in the Quando was in a 20" wheel, powered just to 16 mph but is the best legal hill climber bar none.

It's how the power is geared that matters, a given hub motor power can be geared for speed advantage or hill climbing advantage, not both.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011

I'd certainly use it @ 40mph (well ok not that one ebcause as you've pointed out I'd want a better bike if I was doing that speed - some kind of beefed up full on DH racer than can take that kind of abuse) but I wouldn't do so weaving between the pedestrians on Blackpool prom on a Bank Holiday afternoon (my own bike is capable of 25mph but I don't go above about 15mph in such circumstances and I give everyone a VERY wide berth even at those speeds) - as with everything there is a time and a place.

Last edited:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Not necessarily, for a given power it's the opposite. The old Torq 1 and the Quando had identical electrics throughout. The motor in the Torq was in a 700c (28") wheel and it powered to 22 mph but with poor hill climbing as a result. The identical motor in the Quando was in a 20" wheel, powered just to 16 mph but is the best legal hill climber bar none.

It's how the power is geared that matters, a given hub motor power can be geared for speed advantage or hill climbing advantage, not both.
Thats based on the 250w motor with all its limitation, so do u think this bike with 2x 1500w motors. 96 volts battery power could go up a 1/8 hill power only at 15mph+ anyone ?

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012
Thats based on the 250w motor with all its limitation, so do u think this bike with 2x 1500w motors. 96 volts battery power could go up a 1/8 hill power only at 15mph+ anyone ?
I'd imagine it could do that towing a caravan.