Hoping to increase driver passing distance at night, I've glued front and rear reflectors to my wing mirrors.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't know if you want to try or not ?
The front bezel easily comes off , I used a finger nail in the joint and easily pulled of the rectangular plastic bezel and the two loose lamp diffusers. One could then trim back the rear of the plastic diffusers by 1mm or so and then insert the read acetate on the LED's and then refit diffusers and bezel.

Option #2 is maybe a dab of something red on the LED's to see if that gives a red glow.

For refitting bezel place it on a flat surface with the diffusers inserted and gently just push the main light body firmly down on to it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't know if you want to try or not ?
The front bezel easily comes off , I used a finger nail in the joint and easily pulled of the rectangular plastic bezel and the two loose lamp diffusers. One could then trim back the rear of the plastic diffusers by 1mm or so and then insert the read acetate on the LED's and then refit diffusers and bezel.

Option #2 is maybe a dab of something red on the LED's to see if that gives a red glow.

For refitting bezel place it on a flat surface with the diffusers inserted and gently just push the main light body firmly down on to it.
Good thinking - I took it apart as you've described, but cutting such tiny accurate circles (has to be mm accurate!) out of acetate sheet is beyond my eyes, and they'd have to be perfect circles to fit (had a go, too awful)... therefore I've simply put a couple of cut rectangles of red acetate sheet into the inset from the outside, applied some heatproof Kapton tape across the front, and secured that with a ziptie, because Kapton isn't terribly sticky.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ayes she's untidy, but she'll hold Kapton!

I'm seeing red

"♫ ♫ Rrrroxxxxxaaaanne!..... "

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
...and finally because my ancient red flasher/now constant running light is mounted verticalally, it's an opportunity to make that a side reflector - if I had any more orange reflective tape left, it'd be ntirely orange.

Perhaps some unknown lycra-clad roadie with drop bars, witnessed by @chris667, has solved this one? If not, I suppose I could add more, brighter lights.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep that is pretty darn well Red and bright.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have two of these which are super bright even on lowest bright mode.
Rechargeable Rear Bike Lights Back Bicycle Light Set LED Front USB Waterproof UK | eBay
Cheers! I saw a very bright red like that on a bicyle, while I was walking one night, wondered what it could be - did try to find out, searched the Halford's webite, but nothing they stocked seemed bright enough, as unsure of brightnesses of others I saw on ebay (and at the time my preference was for wired in lights, which turns out, is very likely impractical for my folding bike, because addons break off while folding in a hurry lol). Because I was on foot, and perhaps because it wasn't bathed in white light by car headlights, that looked very bright indeed. Those do look good, how long do their batteries last on full power? One or more could be strapped above the Planet X dual light, on the alloy extension arm. It's more of a diffuse light, which would still look bright as drivers are passing. My worry about very bright diffused red light, is if I place it too close to my mirror, it might dazzle my view of cars approaching from behind? Perhaps not - car headlights reflected at me via the mirror is pretty bright to view already, and if so, I could get another GoPro extension arm to attach, a longer one, or attach that overall longer one containing a ball joint. As far as I can tell, the Planet X dual light's headlight made red, still looks notably bright from a passing driver's point of view, up to about a 45 degree angle, but because they're beams intended as headlights, the driver's view of the main beams from directly behind, would be eyeball jabbing bright. I'm pretty sure the eyeball jabbing nature of my fsckoff bright flashing red light on the rack, influences drivers (apart from taxis driven brain-dead) to steer clearer, and in doing that, it's harder for them to cut in close in front - it was a bit of a struggle trying to catch them passing or cutting in front close enough, to attempt clearer video number plate capture a few days ago, but that was earlier on, that early morning. Let's see if the Planet X dual light made red, increases this effect upon drivers as they're passing, and increases their cutting-in in front distance. If not, I'll deffo start stacking those lights you linked, on the GoPro extension arm. Enough of those strapped on, might even do the job in bright daylight? I've ordered one.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm sure with all those lights that drivers will be so interested to see exactly what they are that they'll pass really close to get a good look.

• Agree
Reactions: esuark and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm sure with all those lights that drivers will be so interested to see exactly what they are that they'll pass really close to get a good look.
Drivers always seem in such a rush, I think it's unlikely there will be many of those...but I do get the odd car loitering for ages behind, wondering what the heck is in front of them. If they do close in for a good look, they'd likely do so driving slower, hopefully with more care and attention than usual? It's the far greater number of close passing/cutting-in too close ahead drivers I'm more worried about, and trying to dissuade.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brightness is std 20 lumens/6hrs 20mins.
High 50 lumens /2hrs 45mins.
Overdrive 100 lumens/1 hr 40mins.

Just standing behind my bike in town lit night light , the std 20 lumen setting is still very bright and not something that can't be seen.

To me your obssession with being seen or being visible appears OTT and becoming OCD. Surely it will come to the point where cycling no longer becomes enjoyable.

Last edited:
  • Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Brightness is std 20 lumens/6hrs 20mins.
High 50 lumens /2hrs 45mins.
Overdrive 100 lumens/1 hr 40mins.

Just standing behind my bike in town lit night light , the std 20 lumen setting is still very bright and not something that can't be seen.
Thanks, that's good to know: it'll be 300 lumesn of red running lights bolteed to my right end bar mirror... might work.

To me your obssession with being seen or being visible appears OTT and becoming OCD. Surely it will come to the point where cycling no longer becomes enjoyable.
It's an obsession with keeping cars away from my bike. I end up having to cycle a lot at night, and what stops it being enjoyable abruptly, is drivers cutting in too close in front - they often misjudge my speed, which is dangerous for them, myself and other road users - sometimes those fools barely make it ahead of a road island with bollards, or oncoming traffic. And I'm not even going fast! I enjoy mucking about with lights etc. and look forward to finding a practical solution which doesn't prevent my bike folding neatly, which will also have the same effect upon drivers in bright daylight - at which point, I'll (probably) stop.

Yep that's me! :p

Reactions: jimriley

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I would like some method of avoiding close passes.
My best thought is some type of thin flag pole say 1.5m long mounted on the handlebar at the right.
when on roads I would lower it with say a pennant /light so vehicles would stay that distance away
But when approaching a line of traffic I could raise it vertically so I could over/under take just using the width of my bike
I know I want the best of both worlds - width on flowing roads & narrowness in traffic.
Any ideas for the swivel joint, as I can use torch brackets to attach that to the handlebar and use a fibre glass electricians pole for threading cable, as its nice & thin.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I would like some method of avoiding close passes.
My best thought is some type of thin flag pole say 1.5m long mounted on the handlebar at the right.
when on roads I would lower it with say a pennant /light so vehicles would stay that distance away
But when approaching a line of traffic I could raise it vertically so I could over/under take just using the width of my bike
I know I want the best of both worlds - width on flowing roads & narrowness in traffic.
Any ideas for the swivel joint, as I can use torch brackets to attach that to the handlebar and use a fibre glass electricians pole for threading cable, as its nice & thin.
@WheezyRider posted a question about the legality of a traffic boom. and actually made one. Great idea, but a bit impractical for my folding bike, I think:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm wondering if a shorter, easy to assemble and highly visible side projection, would have an effect? Alumiumium GoPro handlepost attachment + 26.4cm alloy GoPro extension + 31cm Oxford side lollipop = 57.4cm. The handpost attachment needs to rotate the extension arms 90 degrees, so that the Oxford lollipop's reflectors are vertical. The advantage for my bike, is that this combination simply folds away easily and compactly. It'd give way if it hits vehicles, the orange plastic won't cause any damage. If the internal threads in the arms aren't up to the task of keeping it tightly enough secured, they could be drilled out, and nuts could be used instead to secure them into position. If the overall length turns out to be too short, extra arms, or longer single alloy GoPro extender arms, could be added? My only issue with the Oxford side reflector arm was the clamp - it didn't grip tightly enough. This was easily remedied using a small jubilee clip. I don't think I need the Oxford at the back anymore, because it seems my fsckoff bright red flashing light does more than that ever did. Should be easy enough to secure it to the end of the alloy GoPro extender arm using a nut and bolt.

I'll see how the combination of bright red running lights get on, when the new one arrives.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Turns out, I have two GoPro-style attachments spare, which were bundled with my cheapo Crosstour 4k action camera, and there's one spare from the GPS tracker light (photo below). They're cheap plastic parts which will probably break off, but I might try out the Oxford lollipop bolted through up front - if doing so looks in any way promising, I'll replace plastic with alumunium alloy. The total length will be about 37.5cm, which is under the 40cm @WheezyRider mentioned here in this post:

pudding835

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2022
@guerney, thanks for posting the Planet X light. And those GoPro extenders, I didn't know those mounts were so popular, a whole new world opened up.

I like your rear light hanging down off the handlebar. Add a 90 degree adapter and it could flip out horizontally. I'd only have an 8" extender bar, not 1.5m like Trevor wants!

Edit: Make that a ball joint and with just enough tension to hold it in place so if a car hits it, it moves forward instead knocking the bike's steering

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@guerney, thanks for posting the Planet X light.
@chris667 first reported seeing that light in use.

I like your rear light hanging down off the handlebar. Add a 90 degree adapter and it could flip out horizontally. I'd only have an 8" extender bar, not 1.5m like Trevor wants!
Yes, oodles of possibilities, including mounting both the Planet X light and the Oxford lollipop from the handle bar end, by adding a dual mount like this...which with a 90 degree direction changer, would extend the Oxford lollipop further out of the right side, perhaps (with extenders) enough for @trevor brooker's preferred 1.5m.

If not too heavy, pretty much any light could be used - just securely glue/glue & ziptie/drill nut & bolt a GoPro flat (or filed flat) helmet mount to it.

Here's a flat mount; secure to any lght:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That dual mount is cheaper on ebay - 5.99, simply fold the Oxford lollipop in when filtering through traffic. Fold it forwards when approaching intersections, for more visibility from the side?

The GuerneySiderating Illumimaker™ is invented.

For the lollipop - it'd give way on impact, won't damage vehicles. I haven't found a metal version yet, this one's ABS:

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Watch the machining accuracy on some of these mounts. Fine for low cost lights, not a good fit always for the GoPro camera mounting prongs. If too loose, overtightening the screw can damage the camera bits.

And in your picture of many bits, @guerney, be cautious of the non GoPro mounting bases with the slotty holes....they break as there is very little plastic in the critical areas at the corners. Genuine GoPro bases are in my view worth it for the expensive camera!