Hoping to increase driver passing distance at night, I've glued front and rear reflectors to my wing mirrors.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For sideways or an angled visual impact in the dark one doesn't need anything special, I see some riders with coloured spoke reflectors on each spoke . All I see is a bright coloured wheel moving along .

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks! That's a great idea! Despite my aversion to adding yet more USB devices to forget charging up before a ride, I've ordered one, along with some other cheap tat I've been meaning to buy from elsewhere (because it's DPD delivery only, £6.99 combined postage). Trailing wires from the ebike battery under the handgrips to end bar lights, doesn't appeal.

Even though mine is a straight handlebar, because it's a GoPro-style mount, it looks as though the following is a possibility: Fill in between the progs by sacrificing prongs from a spare GoPro extender, or fill in using superglue + baking soda and drill through... to bolt through into the right handlebar end using the same bolt the Zyfal Cyclop end bar mirror uses, or a longer bolt if required (should be a standard thread). Thus, it'll hang down horizontally. If not, I'll mount it to the seatpost vertically or elsewhere, or risk plod ire by sporting it on my lid, even though this may also attract mosquitos, which are very similar to cops, extracting blood instead of money.

They're selling the same light on Amazon for £24.99 - Planet X really don't appear to like selling through Amazon:

Covid-style masks do keep my face somewhat warmer winter cycling. The bottle cage tool cases at 99p are a good deal. Dry bag for DSLR and flash, or tablet, sunglasses which might fit while wearing my jawguarded helmet, bottle cage cases for tools and phone. Tablet dry bag.. for er... tablet.

My shamefully profligate order. I'm such a mug :rolleyes: I'd never pay their normal prices though.

View attachment 50014
What would turn up if I ordered this? The words or the picture? What would contract law say?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What would turn up if I ordered this? The words or the picture? What would contract law say?

Doesn't look like SJS Cycle's pic:

If you needed this, you could order and see what turns up, but Paypal doesn't refund postage.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For sideways or an angled visual impact in the dark one doesn't need anything special, I see some riders with coloured spoke reflectors on each spoke . All I see is a bright coloured wheel moving along .
Looks like I might have to order some more of those too. I have a few spiral spoke reflectors, but could do with adding more. Bikes are such a money pit :rolleyes: Good job spoke reflectors are cheap...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe I should say spoke wraps that glow in the dark , spoke reflectors remind me of the the plastic white or amber things that are wedged between spokes.

One guy I saw had a bright Blue ones at the front and a bright Red ones on the rear, he was highly visible in the dark.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One guy I saw had a bright Blue ones at the front and a bright Red ones on the rear, he was highly visible in the dark.
I'd buy those if they used (rechargeable) AAA batteries, but they all use CR2032s or something. AAAs wouldn't be practical on wheels however.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
None of them use batteries, they use 3m scotchlite.
Salzmann 3M Spoke Reflectors - Made With 3M Scotchlite - Pack of 36 or 72 | eBay

The bike though does resemble something a kid or BMX bike might use.
Sorry I had spoke lights on my mind due to a previous post mentioning button batteries - I've got 12 spiral spoke reflectors with Scotchlite and they do a reasonable job, if my camera flash illuminated photos are anything to go by... but I'll add a few more. The spiral ones don't rattle around making a noise, grip well - I've never seen them being sold new, bought secondhand.

spoke reflectors remind me of the the plastic white or amber things that are wedged between spokes.
I always wonder if those screw up spoke tension, as they get wedged in tighter - I've got a few of those installed too.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Salzmann 3M Spoke Reflectors - Made With 3M Scotchlite - Pack of 36 or 72 | eBay
Thanks! That's a good price for 72 if they're genuine Scotchlite - ordered.

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009

You would complain and get your money back. They would include postage unless you bought other stuff at the same time, in which case the postage wouldn't be refunded.

There's no obligation to provide the item in the picture if they instead offered a full refund and it seems disingenuous to order something when you realise it's the wrong thing already. They are under no obligation to provide an item at a ridiculously low price because of a mistake. Put it another way - if you accidentally ordered 20 brake levers instead of 2 would you think it reasonable if they refused to let you change your order?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
You would complain and get your money back. They would include postage unless you bought other stuff at the same time, in which case the postage wouldn't be refunded.

There's no obligation to provide the item in the picture if they instead offered a full refund and it seems disingenuous to order something when you realise it's the wrong thing already. They are under no obligation to provide an item at a ridiculously low price because of a mistake. Put it another way - if you accidentally ordered 20 brake levers instead of 2 would you think it reasonable if they refused to let you change your order?
Don't worry, I've no intention of ordering, just amused/surprised that in a fairly major online shop text and image can get misassociated.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was tempted by their Merino wool base layer for £19.99, but I'm not XXXL - might be of interest to persons here who are XXXL:

...besides I've got three already. Merino wool really is fantastic.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was driving a car the other day and I passed a cyclist on a road bike. I have been a lifelong cyclist so I am always on the lookout for them anyway, but I thought this light on the offside bottom of his drop handlebar was a very clever idea.

Not that I'd ever buy anything from Planet X, (the sale is always on and I don't like companies that mislead about price) but still.
To prevent breakage impacting with doorways etc. mounting that light (post #99) onto a GoPro extender containing a ball joint is a possibility:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've ordered this cheapo alloy extender to hold the dual light - I'll simply cut one of the dual prongs to secure with (should be strong enough: alloy of some sort), instead of using a longer bolt for the Zefal Cyclop end bar mirror, to bolt though into the handbar end. If the dual light thumps against dorrways, I'll buy the version with the ball joint - I could join two short direction changing extenders for easy side movement in impacts, but that might make the dual light hang lower, possibly too low.

Waiting for the light and extender to arrive.

Thanks @chris667 for pointing this light out in post #96

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The required front light must be bike mounted below 1.5m. As far as I can see that doesn't proscribe additional rider mounted lights, nor restrict their height.
If helmet mounted headlights are illegal - the light @chris667 mentioned could be mounted on the rider's right arm? Could be uncomfortable tbh, and the light might be a tad heavy for that perhaps - I'd swap the velcro for more secure buckled elastic straps, add padding...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Blimey that was quick! My Planet-X order has arrived! I only ordered yesterday (Sunday). I would have missed delivery if the following hadn't happened while I was out cycling:

1. My small red LED flasher hanging from my right end bar fell off while I was turning left at an intersection... so I stopped to retrieve it before it was crushed by heevy traffic.

2. I then realised that the light had fallen off, because the Zefal Cylop it was hanging from, had also fallen off... so I went to rescue that from crushing wheels too. Should have used the other much harder to insert collar, easily remedied.

3. I then found a dead pink electric scooter with seatpost missing, dumped by the side of the road, so I tied it to my bike pannier rack and carried it home... just in time for DPD. I might try to salvage the battery and/or motor, or just include it on my next tip run to recycle. 24V battery pack, 120W motor:

This light is charging up, will report on how it gets on - it's pretty small:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was driving a car the other day and I passed a cyclist on a road bike. I have been a lifelong cyclist so I am always on the lookout for them anyway, but I thought this light on the offside bottom of his drop handlebar was a very clever idea.

Not that I'd ever buy anything from Planet X, (the sale is always on and I don't like companies that mislead about price) but still.
I can see why you noticed this while driving - the two small red LEDs are brighter than normal, despite being small, and lensed to form beams. Brighter than my aged red flasher.

The two front white lights are about as bright as a small good 18650 powered torch. I'm tempted to see if the cops object to this light being mounted on my helmet, between now and when the GoPro extension arm arrives...

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I can see why you noticed this while driving - the two small red LEDs are brighter than normal, despite being small, and lensed to form beams. Brighter than my aged red flasher.

The two front white lights are about as bright as a small good 18650 powered torch. I'm tempted to see if the cops object to this light being mounted on my helmet, between now and when the GoPro extension arm arrives...
Lights on helmet is fine, not illegal. But they do not fulfil the legal requirement of positioning, so a second light that does is needed.

Of course you will now be arrested and incarcerated for many hours....

• :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Lights on helmet is fine, not illegal. But they do not fulfil the legal requirement of positioning, so a second light that does is needed.

Of course you will now be arrested and incarcerated for many hours....
The experience of my right Zefal Cyclop mirror falling off this morning has worried me as to the viability of hanging things off that bolt which secured it to the handlebar, so I'll use different collars and give it all a very firm pull test when fitted, after the alloy GoPro extender arm arrives. This light is smaller and lighter than I imagined, should be ok, and a good replacement for my dimmer aged hanging flashy.

Getting more (and closer) illumination upon passing number plates, will be a bonus for capturing them on video using the GoPro - might improve results a little more.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
BTW - Planet X's bottle cage cases are a tad on the small size. Rather helpfully, their website doesn't quote sizes much: they're 19cm in length, and 99p at the moment. And they sent me a free one with the sunglasses of the same size, but matte black - no red zip. :)

They don't state measurements of their 15ltr waterproof bags either, I had to use Amazon to approximate that using a similar looking product's details. Luckily it's a perfect fit for inside my laptop bag.