HaiBike eQ Xduro FS - a note of caution

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Gaffer tape or duck tape?

It's duct tape, created first in the USA for sealing air conditioning duct joins and named accordingly.

Gaffers went out with the Arc and the RSPCA would have something to say on behalf of ducks trussed up with this product.
Proper gaffer tape is not quite the same as duct tape.

The gaffers after which the tape was named are very much alive and well - and still using gaffer tape.

Last edited:

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I am soo glad Dave has mentioned tank tape, was always called that years ago and no one believes me. Industry tends to have things long before Joe Public, like I was using super glue in the early 70s. When I was about 18 had a nasty incident with a truck steering wheel after glueing an indicator stalk together :rolleyes:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
No flecc,it's Henry tape,as supplied by Henry Ford in vast quantities and sold in Romford market.
Baker 44....http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/www.rallydesign.co.uk....Tank Tape....available black,silver,white,red,yellow,blue,green....50 mtrs x 50mm, RD 1900...£5.00 per roll. Sorry,just could not resist. As used by many Le Mans racers to finish the 24 hours,amazing stuff...
And all motorhome owners carry it as well, for sealing windows, keeping flapping pieces of GRP body parts secured after a prang etc... etc...

Yes duct tape is marvellous stuff but it deteriorates if exposed to sunlight, so no worries here then!

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
I've always known it as Bodge Tape ... for obvious reasons!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No flecc,it's Henry tape,as supplied by Henry Ford in vast quantities and sold in Romford market.
No Dave, that usage only goes back just over 40 years.

The original of sorts was actually Gaffer tape which was an easily removable variety so not as strong. A variant followed which used duck cloth backing and that was used by the US military and that is where the Duck tape name comes from. The later motor sport use is the same as that the military used it for, vehicle markings.

But shortly afterwards the strong variant we now know and widely use was used for heating and ventilation ducts and is correctly known as Duct tape. After a period of use however it was condemned for that usage and that use made illegal since it was a potential fire hazard. Since then it has been sold as a general purpose strong adhesive tape, but it's correct name remains Duct tape, the other two as you can see actually being different products.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Interesting to see that what is now usually called duct tape is no good for ventilation systems. I've got some of the proper aluminium duct tape at home (for repairs to my cars vent system) and it's completely different.