HaiBike eQ Xduro FS - a note of caution

Apr 19, 2011
Hi Mussels,

This is a common question. I'm sure you know but amps alone do make a powerful battery. Volts x Amp hours is the thing to look out for (Wh).

The Haibike battery is 288Wh which is fine for most journeys (25 miles off road easily achievable).

Because it is compact and light weight its easy to carry a spare on longer journeys. They charge quickly too - about 2 hours.

If Bosch used a bigger battery you'd have to lug it about for all those shorter distance trips - negating the very fine work Haibike have done in getting their e-bikes down to 20kg.

Do give me a call if you'd like more details.

Rgds,

James 01728 830 817

Apr 19, 2011
Hi Don,

We have a simulator here in Suffolk too. Do call in - you like anyone else are more than welcome to take a Koga, Sparta or Haibike to the road and rough tracks in and around coastal Leiston.

Rgds,

James

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi James,

Sorry to read your remarks re BEBA.

We are self appointed of course, how else would such an organisation exist? However our doors are wide open to all. We would waive the bit about having to stock one of the member's bikes as long as you managed to adhere to the other parts of the code of practice including holding sufficient parts to maintain customers' bikes.

Perhaps you could talk to Mark about it when he comes to see you.

All the best

David

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Hi Don,

We have a simulator here in Suffolk too. Do call in - you like anyone else are more than welcome to take a Koga, Sparta or Haibike to the road and rough tracks in and around coastal Leiston.

Rgds,

James
Thanks James. See you soon ... assume normal opening hours, weekdays?

Apr 19, 2011
Hi Don,

Suffolk opening hours are 9-5 weekdays, 10-4 saturday.

London hours not fixed yet... the shops in Portobello Rd open later during the week and open Sundays too (yikes!)

Lee or Kate or Clare will be here but I'm often running around so do ring before setting off.

Rgds

James

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Hi Don,

Suffolk opening hours are 9-5 weekdays, 10-4 saturday.

London hours not fixed yet... the shops in Portobello Rd open later during the week and open Sundays too (yikes!)

Lee or Kate or Clare will be here but I'm often running around so do ring before setting off.

Rgds

James
Fine ... will do!

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
That really isn't good enough. ... 6) Why haven't they pulled a control console off one of their stock bikes and fitted it to yours, thus transferring the problem from customer to retailer, as it should be?
I don't want to give E-bikes a hard time, I'm sure James is a dedicated spanner-wallah.

But you've asked and maybe answered the same question I'd be asking.

If necessary he should order a new bike from Haibike, steal the missing part, and send the cannibalised remains back to Germany (?).

It's not as if we, and individual dealers, don't have ample choice of supply!

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
In defence of justebikes it is very hard to stock all spares for every bike. When we import a new bike I walk round with a clip board and try to estimate every part that could fail,controllers,batteries,crankset,mudguards,chain guards all are obvious service items but the bracket that holds the watsit to the thingy or the 60mm long screw that is special to the light mounting,never did I contemplate that these would be needed,you guys do manage to lose or break the most random items. I suspect that Kudos has bigger volumes than the high end suppliers and can justify holding good stocks of spares. Anyone who has any dealings with Chinese or German bike suppliers will know that if you order additional spares with the bulk stock then they are readily available but try getting a small part 6 months later and it is difficult,we have compounded this problem by letting other suppliers have access to our spares stock which may not be sensible but does help the trade overal,which is good for all.
This week has been e bike week,the most bikes ever to go out in one week,it's a good site seeing the e bike smile when customers test for the first time.
If a supplier is doing all he can to secure your replacement part then please be patient. If he is ignoring you then feel free to go for the jugular. Most of us want to do a good job and are proud of our businesses,the odd rogue spoils it for all.
Dave
Kudoscycles

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Ther are 3 main parts to a Bosch system. the sealed and enclosed motor unit, battery that sits above in holder and the HMI/controller that sits on the handle bars (the part this thread is about) I dont think it unreasonable to expect a dealer to hold a few of these in stock. People can drop bikes and damage these at any time...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Ther are 3 main parts to a Bosch system. the sealed and enclosed motor unit, battery that sits above in holder and the HMI/controller that sits on the handle bars (the part this thread is about) I dont think it unreasonable to expect a dealer to hold a few of these in stock. People can drop bikes and damage these at any time...
Eddie,if this was a volume business I would agree but I have access to Bosch spares price list,it would be cheaper to stock a bike and cannibalise the bits than buy spares off Bosch. These high end bikes sell in tiny numbers,the sellers are as much enthusiasts to e bikes as members on this forum,there is little money available to hold an extensive spares inventory.
I approached this e bike business with a long term view,we are holding still £300k bikes and £30k spares,it may be years before the investment washes its face. I respect you are interested in the high end product of this business and am equally supportive of the Bosch drive system but am now knowledgeable enough to know that a £1k bike sells against a £2k bike on a ratio of 50-1.,in the UK.
Having said that I agree that if you are setting yourself up as an importer you have to take the pain of trying to stock spares on quick delivery,despite the expense. If not,all these low volume suppliers will remain as a niche cottage industry.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Anyone who has any dealings with Chinese or German bike suppliers will know that if you order additional spares with the bulk stock then they are readily available but try getting a small part 6 months later and it is difficult
I accept you're in a very difficult situation and you're forced into it because customers (like us) will no longer accept "any colour you like as long as its black". We want, nay demand, new models every year - causing huge problems down the line.

However, in this case, the customer seems to have been left (nearly) high and dry.

This particular supplier should have been able to lash up something that would hold this controller firmly and semi-permanently. A clamp made of cherry-wood (or even cut down tubes of Heineken held with Viney bones) could be a source of pride for an otherwise unhappy customer. Flapping duck-tape does not deliver the same buzz!

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
It intrigues me that by posting this thread the bike owner has got a replacement console sent out to him on first class post by taking one off a stock bike. The question is why this couldn't have been done months ago?
I've had much better customer service from suppliers selling a ebike costing less than 1/4 of the price!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I accept you're in a very difficult situation and you're forced into it because customers (like us) will no longer accept "any colour you like as long as its black". We want, nay demand, new models every year - causing huge problems down the line.

However, in this case, the customer seems to have been left (nearly) high and dry.

This particular supplier should have been able to lash up something that would hold this controller firmly and semi-permanently. A clamp made of cherry-wood (or even cut down tubes of Heineken held with Viney bones) could be a source of pride for an otherwise unhappy customer. Flapping duck-tape does not deliver the same buzz!
Biker44,obviously I am not in a position to understand why this bracket took so long to be replaced. All I am saying is that when it goes wrong it tends to be very long delivery and the supplier is really not in control. Kudos's spares stock is not infinite,I am out of controllers for the King/Tourer bikes,mostly because I have supplied spares to other Chinese e bike suppliers,who have no spares and are using ours,we are air shipping some controllers. If only this market would get a bit bigger all of these problems would be easier to overcome,suppliers would have good spares stock,bike shops would have more bike choice,test days would be more numerate and the germans and Chinese would take us more seriously.
As for colour choice we try to reduce the number of bespoke parts to a particular colour,mudguards are black whatever the frame colour etc.
Dave
Kudoscycles

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
reading this thread it looks like the dealer is tied up with bigger matters and loosing sight of the ball (Portugal no score)

Thank God for the likes of BEBA who insist on better standards from suppliers...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
reading this thread it looks like the dealer is tied up with bigger matters and loosing sight of the ball (Portugal no score)

Thank God for the likes of BEBA who insist on better standards from suppliers...
Eddie,I didn't realise that BEBA was directed by higher powers. Does going down to the pub every Sunday count?.....OMG.....Dave,Kudoscycles

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Kudos's spares ... If only this market would get a bit bigger all of these problems would be easier to overcome,suppliers would have good spares stock,bike shops would have more bike choice,test days would be more numerate and the germans and Chinese would take us more seriously.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with cherry-wood. Solder may work better in the rear-hub but grain adds a touch of class to handlebars.

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
I've been using ebikes for long enough that I'm happy with a duck tape solution as long as the bike works!
Please excuse my head being turned by a visit to Washington State. I'd have otherwise proposed the real McKoy, which is gaffer-tape.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Gaffer tape or duck tape?

It's duct tape, created first in the USA for sealing air conditioning duct joins and named accordingly.

Gaffers went out with the Arc and the RSPCA would have something to say on behalf of ducks trussed up with this product.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Gaffer tape or duck tape?

It's duct tape, created first in the USA for sealing air conditioning duct joins and named accordingly.

Gaffers went out with the Arc and the RSPCA would have something to say on behalf of ducks trussed up with this product.
No flecc,it's Henry tape,as supplied by Henry Ford in vast quantities and sold in Romford market.
Baker 44....www.rallydesign.co.uk....Tank Tape....available black,silver,white,red,yellow,blue,green....50 mtrs x 50mm, RD 1900...£5.00 per roll. Sorry,just could not resist. As used by many Le Mans racers to finish the 24 hours,amazing stuff...