HaiBike eQ Xduro FS - a note of caution

BobJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2009
I bought a HaiBike eQ Xduro FS from James at E-Bikes | Electric Bicycles | Electric Bikes | Just Ebikes in November last year and the service from James was, and has continued to be, excellent. I cannot fault the service and attention to detail that James and justbikes has provided throughout my so far brief ownership of my HaiBike and I am more than happy with my purchase BUT the service by Haibike/Bosch so far has been so poor as to be non existent.

Its only a relatively minor thing and doesn't stop me using and enjoying the bike but it is an inconvenience and not something I would expect from a bike costing close to £3k.

The problem is simply that the plastic bracket that holds the control console and fixes it to the handlebars cracked in the cold weather over Xmas and as I ride it almost entirely off-road the vibrations of riding over rough terrain (that is was it is supposed to be designed for) have subsequently caused the bracket to completely disintegrate.

Despite all attempts by James over the last 5 months to get a replacement from Haibike/Bosch the console remains fixed to bike with a large amount of insulation tape.

I suppose I'm just lucky that it isn't something serious that would stop me riding the bike, but it doesn't reflect well on the customer service of HaiBike!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I would be pretty peeved if I were in your situation.
Not by the fact that the bracket broke in the first place, but that the manufacturer isn't bending over backwards to provide a replacement.
Design fault, maybe, but seriously needs to be addressed on an eye-wateringly expensive bike.
I've got a Cycle Analyst fitted to my kit bike, and it's got rubber bushings on key parts of the mounting to protect the display from shock.
It's a well thought out piece of kit, and has obviously been well tested before being put into production.
A Haibike was on my wish list, but stories of poor manufacturer support put me off :(

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That really isn't good enough. After all, we are constantly being reminded that a major part of the reason that these, "high end" bikes are so expensive is the customer support that we receive. If an important component on your £3000 bike broke after just two months of ownership and it's still not fixed six months later, I'd say that was shameful customer service.

I'm sure that Just E Bikes are staffed by really friendly and helpful sales people, but what have they been doing for you over the last six months now that you are no longer a prospective customer?

1) Have they been hammering the manufacturer on your behalf?
2) What reason has the manufacturer given for the delay?
3) What is their plan to resolve this?
4) When do they expect to have the part available?
5) How often have Just E Bikes been complaining on your behalf?
6) Why haven't they pulled a control console off one of their stock bikes and fitted it to yours, thus transferring the problem from customer to retailer, as it should be?

These are all the things you have a right to expect after parting with a large sum of money.

The bit that's broken sounds like a common production part of the Bosch system and as far as I know, the Bosch system is still available to buy. This means that the broken component is still available and the reason you don't have it is because someone can't be arsed to get it for you. To make you wait for six months with no end in sight is just plain old rubbish customer service, nice guys or not.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I would have gone for Bosch itself as the part must be available..followed up with phone calls....

Try an email to this guy, his name is Eric and he is Dutch and a Haibike/Flyer dealer and member on German Pedelec.... or better still call

eriik@drumo.nl

web: http://www.drumo.nl/index.php?id=109

Last edited:

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
... I would have gone for Bosch itself as the part must be available..followed up with phone calls....
... is this the same Bosch that you are recommending I should look at, Eddie? :(

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I would have gone for Bosch itself as the part must be available..followed up with phone calls....

Try an email to this guy, his name is Eric and he is Dutch and a Haibike/Flyer dealer and member on German Pedelec.... or better still call

eriik@drumo.nl

web: drumo.nl - Electrische Fietsen Centrum - Home
Good & helpful advice eddieo, but why aren't the people he bought the bike off doing this? The thing cost a small fortune and an important bit broke off months after taking delivery and they have neglected their responsibility to fix it for the past six months. Not good enough.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
... is this the same Bosch that you are recommending I should look at, Eddie? :(
As they are near you in Suffolk correct....like I said to try, simply to see if you like the system, there are many other options of bikes......

We are talking about a display bracket here so lets keep it in perspective. Bob is more then happy with the bike and it is still working. we dont know what is going on commecially in this particular situation. There may be a reason for a breakdown in communications. All I know is it is very strange.

Bosch are supposed to be, according to EBCO at show last weekend, setting up service centres here and one near them in Warwick

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
The bit that's broken sounds like a common production part of the Bosch system and as far as I know, the Bosch system is still available to buy. This means that the broken component is still available and the reason you don't have it is because someone can't be arsed to get it for you. To make you wait for six months with no end in sight is just plain old rubbish customer service, nice guys or not.
James Fitzgerald, if I remember correctly, is the guy who runs Justebikes at Leiston and he has been an occasional contributor to this forum in the past. I hope James reads the comments by forum members on Bob's problem and responds positively.

From memory, I don't think Justebikes is part of BEBA so here we have a classic example of why the BEBA protocols are important for both customers and vendors. Obviously, Justebikes don't carry the part in stock which Bob requires and they don't appear to have a fast-track access route to spares from the supplier in Germany. I believe BEBA requires that participating members carry a good level of spare parts in stock and I'm conscious that the important bits are those electrical components and their associated hardware, cabling etc. Everything else, by and large, is off-the-shelf stuff readily available at any good bike shop...or Halfrauds.

Tillson makes a good point in my view about the part concerned being common to other Bosch-powered machines. If Justebikes have even one other bike in stock which sports the same component, then they should utilise that to resolve their customer's problem.

Whether James Fitzgerald likes it or not, stories like this do reflect badly on his enterprise and I really feel that he needs to expend more energy to resolve this issue. It's not right and much as I like the line-up of ebikes he supplies, I'd hesitate before giving him my business when I buy my next machine.

Indalo

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Tillson makes a good point in my view about the part concerned being common to other Bosch-powered machines. If Justebikes have even one other bike in stock which sports the same component, then they should utilise that to resolve their customer's problem.
Indalo
After looking at the pics on the Justebikes website, the display on both the Haibike and the Hercules models looks identical at first glance. I should be most surprised if the fitting used to attach the part to the handlebars differs but perhaps there isn't a Hercules demonstrator or another Haibike variant in stock?

Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
After looking at the pics on the Justebikes website, the display on both the Haibike and the Hercules models looks identical at first glance. I should be most surprised if the fitting used to attach the part to the handlebars differs but perhaps there isn't a Hercules demonstrator or another Haibike variant in stock?

Indalo

They are identical, and common to the 200 models of Bosch powered bikes from 40 different manufacturers....This just don't make sense.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Sadly this is a common theme amongst most retailers. I find most of the time when they have the money , they move on, and you just become an after thought.
I have been lucky with storck and wisper , excellent support. Not so lucky with a few others.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My experience of German companies on a number of occasions has been products mostly good, but communications extremely poor. Often there is no reply at all.

Note to Eddie, my inbox has been cleared now.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
My experience of German companies on a number of occasions has been products mostly good, but communications extremely poor. Often there is no reply at all.

Note to Eddie, my inbox has been cleared now.
Thanks Tony! I have embarrassed myself (nothing new there:p) and posted a thread as need info ASAP

My dealings directly with Germany over many years (mainly with motorhomes) have been very good.

Apr 19, 2011
Hi Bob,

I'm pleased to here the Haibike is going well and that the damaged holder is not preventing you from enjoying it. A display holder from a new stock Haibike was posted to you 1st class this morning. Your order was placed on Magura - Bosch's newly appointed parts distributors - but for some reason has still not arrived (growing pains?).

Re BEBA:

I’m not a great fan of this self-appointed organisation. Contrary to their assertions; they do not represent the UK e-bike industry. To be a member we would have to purchase and stock their products - none of which meet our standards.

London Store:

We are in the process of opening a dedicated e-bike store on Portobello Road (the first of three in London). Amongst the Kogas, Haibikes and Spartas within is a large screen simulator allowing visitors to cycle sections (or all if they have the time!) of the Tour de France/ Giro D'Italia/etc. The on-screen footage is surprisingly realistic and it’s a great way to showcase how effective e-bikes are – switching off half way up a mountain is a truly horrible experience…needless to say the Haibike is the weapon of choice on the tortuous steeper climbs!

Visitors can also test ride e-bikes from Haibike, Koga and Sparta in a large traffic-free mews to the rear of the shop, and along the cycle path that runs aside the nearby Grand Union Canal.

Regards,

James

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi Bob,

I'm pleased to here the Haibike is going well and that the damaged holder is not preventing you from enjoying it. A display holder from a new stock Haibike was posted to you 1st class this morning. Your order was placed on Magura - Bosch's newly appointed parts distributors - but for some reason has still not arrived (growing pains?).

Re BEBA:

I’m not a great fan of this self-appointed organisation. Contrary to their assertions; they do not represent the UK e-bike industry. To be a member we would have to purchase and stock their products - none of which meet our standards.

London Store:

We are in the process of opening a dedicated e-bike store on Portobello Road (the first of three in London). Amongst the Kogas, Haibikes and Spartas within is a large screen simulator allowing visitors to cycle sections (or all if they have the time!) of the Tour de France/ Giro D'Italia/etc. The on-screen footage is surprisingly realistic and it’s a great way to showcase how effective e-bikes are – switching off half way up a mountain is a truly horrible experience…needless to say the Haibike is the weapon of choice on the tortuous steeper climbs!

Visitors can also test ride e-bikes from Haibike, Koga and Sparta in a large traffic-free mews to the rear of the shop, and along the cycle path that runs aside the nearby Grand Union Canal.

Regards,

James
James- stores sounds awesome! Would love to come and see one when open, let me know :)

All the best!
Mark

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
... We are in the process of opening a dedicated e-bike store on Portobello Road (the first of three in London). ... Visitors can also test ride e-bikes from Haibike, Koga and Sparta in a large traffic-free mews to the rear of the shop, and along the cycle path that runs aside the nearby Grand Union Canal.

Regards,

James
Hi James ... Leiston is marginally closer to me than the Portobello Road ... what facilities are there for test riding a bike or two at Leiston? I have it in mind to visit you one day soon.

Don