G51 controller ( Pedal Assist not working )

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The thing with the v12 is it is encased so muck and grime can get inside to clog things up, the generic two piece pas can't . Sometimes one may want to wipe /clean the outer sfc but tbh in eight odd years I have only wiped /cleaned my magnet disc on my various bikes once or twice.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The thing with the v12 is it is encased so muck and grime can get inside to clog things up, the generic two piece pas can't . Sometimes one may want to wipe /clean the outer sfc but tbh in eight odd years I have only wiped /cleaned my magnet disc on my various bikes once or twice.
Yeah I can see this disc type will be much easier to clean, when I fit the disc, should it be near to pedal side or close to crank case as Im sure i read it has to be a certain width away from sensor, I also believe the sensor has a red light which flashes as you move disc pass magnets

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Would I be wrong as to the above quetion, do I fit magnet disc, near to crank base or close to crank arm when I fit it as I read some where the sensor has to be a certain distance from disc or has it got to be touching the disc magnets

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The disc has to fot on the sq part of the axle and then it has to be as close as poss to the sensor head , typically about 0.5mm - 2mm.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The disc has to fot on the sq part of the axle and then it has to be as close as poss to the sensor head , typically about 0.5mm - 2mm.
Its not arrived yet but was just asking. What do fot mean. Also the whole axle is square anyway. Also there is 2 sides to disc I believe the side with a lip faces pedal side. Plus also there is arrows on disc do they have to point to front wheel

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fot is a typo , try fit.
Arrows faces C/W direction /direction of forward rotation. Arrows also align to outer face when fitted.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Fot is a typo , try fit.
Arrows faces C/W direction /direction of forward rotation. Arrows also align to outer face when fitted.

Oh ok understand now. btw I will have to remove the pedal crank arm so I can remove old PAS. but its no problem as I have crank remover puller tool

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Ok my new PAS just arrived, But it dont have any arrows on either side. so I have this lip side facing towards end of axle or other way. also what are those cut out 2 pieces marked in yellow for. lastly it does say on connector JULET so Im hoping it will work without cutting off the connecters and solder up, But doubt it, so will have to join and solder up wires

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Test it first before installing to make sure it works and figure out which direction and orientation the disc has to go.

Turn the bike upside down, plug in the connector and switch on the bike. Rest the sensor on the edge of something, like a table, stool, book or anything like that. Stick a small screwdriver handle or anything the correct size into the disc, then twizzle it round over the sensor. If you're lucky, it will work in one direction one way up and the other direction the other way up. If you're unlucky, only one of those will work, and you hope it's the right way for the side you want to install it.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Test it first before installing to make sure it works and figure out which direction and orientation the disc has to go.

Turn the bike upside down, plug in the connector and switch on the bike. Rest the sensor on the edge of something, like a table, stool, book or anything like that. Stick a small screwdriver handle or anything the correct size into the disc, then twizzle it round over the sensor. If you're lucky, it will work in one direction one way up and the other direction the other way up. If you're unlucky, only one of those will work, and you hope it's the right way for the side you want to install it.
Yes Ive now lifted my bike up 16 steps phew lol. so now can start working on it. Yes I will test it 1st. need to remove old V12 rubbish pas 1st.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes Ive now lifted my bike up 16 steps phew lol. so now can start working on it. Yes I will test it 1st. need to remove old V12 rubbish pas 1st.
The type you just bought can be temperamental too, mainly because they can be fixed left or right hand. You should have got one with 8 or 10 magnets, like we always advise. I see it's marked KT-D12L, so possibly left side of your bike. Testing will show.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The type you just bought can be temperamental too, mainly because they can be fixed left or right hand. You should have got one with 8 or 10 magnets, like we always advise. I see it's marked KT-D12L, so possibly left side of your bike. Testing will show.
Yes it is on left side of bike, I have just plugged it into controller side, turned on battery and display, But isnt the light on the sensor the red light suppose to come on, as its not so looks as if maybe its wired up different. Nealth said to get this one as he sent me a link. but maybe its ok on mine.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Dam it seems I will have to open up the controller box, as lead isnt very long to the connector, if i am going to have to join up wires

EDIT: its ok as only had to open controller casing not the box, so will I have to cut of connecters and join and solder up, as like i said above there is no red comes on on the sensor.

I will await your reply before i cut connectors off

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes should light up , it pulses red every time a magnet is sensed/passed by the sensor.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It was a suggestion as a type with the same connector type , not a defacto it will work at any cost.
One expects it would be 100% compatible with a KT set up but might not be with your set up as the wiring sequence may be different.

Before you do anything simply connect it up and test it, one can simply hold the sensor in one hand and pass the magnet disc past the sensor.
Make sure your P settings have the PAS enabled.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
No the LED doesn't stay on , it pulses red every time a magnet is sensed/passed by the sensor.
Oh thats good news then. phew i was thinking i might have to join up wires, I think I have it on wrong way round as the lip side is faceing me. but on this image its lip side to face the bottom crank

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
It seems I will have to change where I have placed sensor, nothing happens when i turn wheel, also I am not sure if red light was flashing as hard to look while turning pedals. maybe i need to join wires. plus so dam awkward while the chain side is in the way when trying to put those plastic clips on.

see where blue arrow is pointing, so sensor not near magnets, what if I try where I marked in green, I am also now going to have to put new black plastic clips on as others will have to be cut off now

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Great at long last I have fixed it, changed the sensor to the green part of frame, got it lined up nice to magnets. turned bike up right way left the left pedal arm off as its on a stand chain side, tried all PAS settings 1 to 5 on display cranked right pedal motor kicks in each time. so pleased with it now. I am also going to put another cable tie over sensor to make sure its tight on frame. I may also use a sticky pad behind sensor too. long as its not too close to magnets. well one thing, I didnt have to cut of connecters. and red light just flashes, when turning pedals. so is this disc on right way now or should it be lip side facing you as atm lip side faces chain. I will take some more pics to show soon

Just like to thank Nealth and also Saneagle for there help here its most appreciated guys. learnt a lot from here

Ive just took bike out on the road, tried every PAS settings 1 to 5 and all work fine, even better than my old V12 one.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Great well done , if it works leave the magnet disc as it is (it is orientated correctly). Good that the Julet wiring matched up , it can be a bit pot luck as some vendors change the controller sequence of wiring to make you buy their more expensive replacements.

It's the same old story, the all in one V12L type PAS always causes issues.
Just be careful with the LHS fitting as it is a little exposed and could get knocked easier.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Great well done , if it works leave the magnet disc as it is (it is orientated correctly). Good that the Julet wiring matched up , it can be a bit pot luck as some vendors change the controller sequence of wiring to make you buy their more expensive replacements.

It's the same old story, the all in one V12L type PAS always causes issues.
Just be careful with the LHS fitting as it is a little exposed and could get knocked easier.
Yes I may try and tidy up LHS later. On that old pas the only setting which seemed to work was 5 never used 1to 4 but can now as 5 on level road is a bit too much ok on a hill but now I use 1 to 3