Ebikes versus normal bikes for commuting

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Why would I not approve!lol I'm sure its exciting, I fully expected it to be..But for a long tedious daily commute?

You can easily get a decent range from the Bosch, did you read that review I posted, full power mode unnecessary most of the time. I'm getting on, 17 stone and far from fit, and can get 25 miles on full power, but I like to feel like I'm riding not being pulled/pushed along.

anyway comparisons with a centre drive not really fair, they are a very different form of E cycling. both have strengths and weaknesses, some more glaring and self evident then others if you choose to recognise them....

So what's it to be?lol

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Gosh lots of useful advice - thanks all!

Anyway I tested the BH Neo Cross and I loved it. First electric bike that really made me smile as it pulled away. I know eddie won't be happy with me, and I agree the components are a bit sub-par (or non-existent), but I know what Garry means about the different between the Kalkhoff and the BH - one's safe but steady, but the other felt like fun.

Nice and light, too, halfer. Comparatively at least!

Two concerns I still have about the Neo:
  • Battery life: is 25 miles going to be ok on a charge?
  • Noise: I heard a small whine at times - is this normal?
M
As all ready said I have done 28 miles on a charge in peak district so fairly hilly :).
This was mainly in eco mode but I very rarely feel the need to use anything else and I'm certainly no super fit cyclist
I am also 112 kilos which defiantly effects range.
Oh and this was the first conditioning charge of the battery on my xtrme.
So assuming you are a bit smaller than me I dont see it being a problem.
Also with 24 gears if you do run out of power riding it like a normal bike is pretty easy.

As for noise will have to admit its not the most quiet motor on a ebike but not any noisier than most others and only really noticeable when it is working hard.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Readers please note: Garrys other ride is a Ducati:eek::p

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Easy tiger it was a joke? but kinda explains why you find Bosch system a bit dull..my hub bike far more exciting as well.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Easy tiger it was a joke? but kinda explains why you find Bosch system a bit dull..my hub bike far more exciting as well.
Just Checking :D

I have nothing against Bosch bikes just not yet ridden one that rocks my boat. There are some nice looking ones out there and I would never say never. I guess Im just as evangelical as you :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Ah! but I can appreciate both systems as I have pretty good examples of both....Killing 3 on in an hour (love it!)

D

Deleted member 4366

I’m a bit confused here - perhaps someone can enlighten me. Does the BH Neo range use the BPM motor? I haven’t owned a BPM but understand it is a geared motor with a clutch. If this is true how does the regenerative braking, claimed for the Neo in some places, work? Do some models have direct drive motors, if so which ones?
Yes it's the BPM2 motor. It doesn't have regen despite what the dealers tell you. I think it has a display panel from another bike, which shows regen, but, as you rightly point out, the motor has a free-wheeling clutch so regen is not possible.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Yes it's the BPM2 motor. It doesn't have regen despite what the dealers tell you. I think it has a display panel from another bike, which shows regen, but, as you rightly point out, the motor has a free-wheeling clutch so regen is not possible.
While I agree there does not appear to be much evidence of regen to the naked eye and doubt it make that much difference to range even if it is there. However BH claim specifically that the bike has it and to make a claim like that and then get caught out could result in serious financial penalties. I guess taking the motor apart or some form of testing will be the only way to prove this ( stick on a rolling road with brakes applied enough to trigger regen and see if battery charges ?)

Why are you convinced its the standard BPM2 motor ?

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
How much are these BPM 2 motors plse?

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Thanks - I’ve seen the claim for regenerative braking in several places. In particular the Peter Eland review of the Neo Cross, in Electric Bike Magazine issue 4, mentioned that it had regen braking, although he did say it was ‘not that powerful’. One can see why!

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
Yes - when I was testing it, an icon appeared on the display suggesting that regenerative braking was going on, though of course I had no opportunity to test if it was happening for real!

D

Deleted member 4366

I think it's just registering the fact that the brake switch is on. That's why nobody can feel anything happen. You would know if you were generating power.

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
Makes sense.

One other quick question, sorry - do hub motors make it more difficult to change rear tyres / repair punctures? Is it tricky to get the rear wheel out?

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
The very short answer is yes. Having said that, with internal hub-geared machines, a rear tyre puncture can be repaired without resort to wheel removal although an actual tyre change is better performed at home or at your LBS. Again however, it is quite possible to actually change a tyre on many bikes without removing the wheel although it is fiddly and requires a little patience. Derailleur-transmissions are simpler in that regard.

Front wheels are no different from regular bikes except for the electrical supply cable which can be unplugged so no problem there.

If you have a specific bike in mind, some of our experienced members will be able to provide chapter and verse as appropriate.

Indalo

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Heres a video of it being done on a NEO Extrem (I assume tha language is spanish but not really needed to get genreal idea)

Emotion NEO Xtrem: Cambio rueda trasera - YouTube

Apart from motor cable pretty much the same as a normal wheel.

Only other real issue is that as wheel is far heavier than normal one due to motor so can make it a bit harder to handle

I doubt its much different for most hub bikes although some dont come with the connector making it far more awkward.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I think it's just registering the fact that the brake switch is on. That's why nobody can feel anything happen. You would know if you were generating power.

Dave while Im really not bothered it it does regenerate or not as it certainly was not a reason why I bought a NEO as Im fully aware that regenerative systems recover very little (10% if your lucky). Why are you convinced it doesnt at all ?. As I have already said BH clearly state it does so and if it doesnt they are laying them selves open to potential large costs and damage to business. It seems to me your argument is based on fact you beleive the motor is a BPM2 motor yet BH nowhere that I can find say what the motor is ?

As also said I guess the only way to prove it is some kind of test.

D

Deleted member 4366

Dave while Im really not bothered it it does regenerate or not as it certainly was not a reason why I bought a NEO as Im fully aware that regenerative systems recover very little (10% if your lucky). Why are you convinced it doesnt at all ?. As I have already said BH clearly state it does so and if it doesnt they are laying them selves open to potential large costs and damage to business. It seems to me your argument is based on fact you beleive the motor is a BPM2 motor yet BH nowhere that I can find say what the motor is ?

As also said I guess the only way to prove it is some kind of test.
I spoke with the guys on the BH Emotion stand at the Bristol show. They told me it's a BPM2. Someone else confirmed that later, but I can't remeber who. The BPM motor has a clutch, so regen isn't possible with this motor. The only thing you could do to get regen would be to weld the clutch so that it can't disengage, but that would spoil the normal riding more than the advantage of regen, so it wouldn't make sense. Maybe there'es another explanation, so if anybody knows anything different, let me know.

Garry, if you could lift your back wheel off the ground and spin it by hand with the front brake applied while switched on, we'll get the definitive answer. If the wheel spins, you don't have regen, if it stops rather quickly, you do have regen - simples! Let us know the result please.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Garry, if you could lift your back wheel off the ground and spin it by hand with the front brake applied while switched on, we'll get the definitive answer. If the wheel spins, you don't have regen, if it stops rather quickly, you do have regen - simples! Let us know the result please.
Will do as soon as I get the chance (Just need to make sure I apply the front brake :) )