Ebike of the Year 2011

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
Flyer S street 28¨ its heavy its pricey its fast, got me home with a 31.5kph average last night.
Its the only e-bike I have owned and Iḿ loving it.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Like Flecc, I need to clarify that it's the EQ Xduro model for me too; not the Trekking model. I can tell you're really having fun Tillson! ;)

Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Flyer S street 28¨ its heavy its pricey its fast, got me home with a 31.5kph average last night.
Its the only e-bike I have owned and Iḿ loving it.
I'm not surprised you are loving it, a great bike!.....Oh Please tell us more? where do you live etc....

edit: OK Mike, had a nose around and found you are in the Netherlands. is yours an S class 300 watt Panasonic bike? I have tried the X series Flyer at Dusseldorf motorhome show 3 times as I loved it so much......

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2011
Designed and MADE in England ?

OK, now for two uber topical questions: Where was it made? And where is your money going?

Having designed and built an e-bike in 2003 I chickened out at page 142 of biz plan: Marketing. It seemed to me at the time that the prudent way was not to build it and then try to sell it, but to establish sales channels/brand using existing high-end eu products (hence sparta koga, haibike, blah blah), and later sell the home grown product via afore mentioned sales routes. No mnfs have come close to matching the product's attributes or mind numbingly simple mnf process yet (much to my surprise). Maybe now's the time to throw the laptop on the fire and get me oily brown overalls on.

It would be interesting to know if Pedeleccers are influenced by country of manufacture when voting for E-Bike of the Year... Do we care where its made? Do we care how many folk are employed building it? And how much they are paid? And where the bits come from?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2011
I'm not surprised you are loving it, a great bike!.....Oh Please tell us more? where do you live etc....

edit: OK Mike, had a nose around and found you are in the Netherlands. is yours an S class 300 watt Panasonic bike? I have tried the X series Flyer at Dusseldorf motorhome show 3 times as I loved it so much......
Eddieo if you goosplat around you'll see v simple mods that enable yours an any other Bosch machine to fly at 30mph. (at c.half the price and 2/3rds the weight?).

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I think most of us would vote for what we have in the shed.

Jannie and I both have different Tonaros and they tick all the boxes for us.

They are cheap, reliable, good up hills and across all our local wood and farm tracks. They have good batteries and out longest ride up to now is 50 miles and we still had power left. Customer service is first class. I cannot think of anything else that we need.

I am sure there are flashier bikes out there but not at the price we paid and ours will still do the same job as the flash bikes.

Steve

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Bob, no, its supposed to be a bit of fun for the members of the forum not a product marketing launch pad! :D

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
OK, now for two uber topical questions: Where was it made? And where is your money going?

It would be interesting to know if Pedeleccers are influenced by country of manufacture when voting for E-Bike of the Year... Do we care where its made? Do we care how many folk are employed building it? And how much they are paid? And where the bits come from?
Yes, I would be influenced. Faced with two similar products I would always go for British Manufacture, and even pay a little, (I said a little) extra for the indigenous product. But then I'm the sort who complains at Tesco's service counter that they have no British Apples for sale all the time.

I do think its important to buy local whenever the opportunity presents itself.

12xu22

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Well, I have bought 4 electric bikes this year, 2 of which were brand new 2011 models so it's a toss up between the fast4ward edge and the kudos cheetah. Although I prefer the Edge (and sold my cheetah to buy it) I'm going to take into account that the company has gone bust and that it retails at nearly twice the price of the cheetah. So, despite the Edge being lighter, prettier and better equipped, I'll nominate the Cheetah, a nice entry level bike at an affordable price from a British company with a good service pedigree. If they could get the weight down a tad and make the handlebar height adjustable they could be onto a winner here.

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
Kalkhoff Pro-Connect Disc 8 for me - truly the Mercedes of eBikes!
Not the cheapest but well built and superb quality.
Russ

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
But then I'm the sort who complains at Tesco's service counter that they have no British Apples for sale all the time.
Thank goodness it's not just me Eaglerider and during the asparagus season no Kentish asparagus in Kent Tesco branches!!

Sorry off topic!

All the best

David