DOGS - The Bane of my Life

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I was riding in this morning and the cycle lane is divided into two one for pedestrians and one for cycles. A man was walking his dog on a lead with his back to me in the pedestrian area, all well and good there. I was about to go past when the dog decided to go into the cycle lane as they tend to do and I had to brake quite sharply. He was apologetic and I said no problem mate so carried on.

Do you think I should ring my bell to inform the Dog walker of my impending arrival or would it infuriate him as he was doing nothing wrong and thinking why is that idiot ringing his bell at me.

I have noticed in Swindon the cycle lanes are designed wrong. The cycle part is by the grass where the dogs want to be and the pedestrian part has no access to grass (apart from lamp posts to do his business). So mostly dog walkers are on the cycle lane and in the way normally.

Also do dogs have to be kept on a lead on cycle track? Even though the length of the leads sometimes negates that safety aspect.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think either the odd "ting" or a "good morning/afternoon" is a good idea when someone has their back to a bike, and I also throw in a friendly smile as they look round. I frequently slow down as well if the paths are on the narrow side. Those methods have never received a negative reaction and often got a good response.

Not always from dogs though, they are unpredictable and can dislike bikes on principle!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
if someone has there back to me I use the bell

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Donkeydoo, It varies greatly across the Borough. For instance, on Akers Way the cycle half is next to the road. I'm afraid the delineating white line on shared routes has lost any meaning over the years, the pedestrians just wander about all over the place, as they have a right to do.

You may have noticed the newer additions to the network have no such division, with only the occasional little blue sign indicating shared use. As one of the first towns in the country to switch off the speed cameras, the emphasis is now focused on personal responsibility and applied to all forms of transport in Swindon. With the exception of Town Centre and Cricklade Rd, you can get away with riding a bike just about anywhere, providing your actions do not impact upon others around you.

In the new developments to the North of Thamesdown Drive, you will see the first use of 'shared space' initiatives, and the car drivers are going potty, the shared pavements are wider than the roads!.

All dogs must be kept under 'control' when in public places, which is just about everywhere that hasn't got a roof on it.

Hope to see you around Swindon one day.

Regards
Bob

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have got one of those new types of bell that only tings once, unlike the old 'kerang-kerang' type. I generally give a single ting about 50 yards away. Nobody has never complained and more than one has said 'Thank-you.' Probably because the lycras race past without warning.
I was once riding a cycle path in Belgium when a succession of off road cyclists overtook me. They didnt have bells, but many of them actually said 'Ding ding' as they came up behind.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
but many of them actually said 'Ding ding' as they came up behind.
I guess thats only for going North. It's "Ding Dong" for southerly bound folk I believe,

On a serious note. I have encountered some major problems with dogs, or rather their owners, whilst out cycling. I like pretty much all animals, but at times there are limits.

Just a few weeks back, whilst cruising at about 8 mph on a dedicated cycle/pedestrian path, a dog owner whose dog was off the lead took exception to my polite request to hold the dog whilst I passed. Clearly I want to avoid hitting any of God's creatures if I am able.

The Dog owner then unleashed a tirade of four lettered abuse and insults, telling me I should not be riding on this cycle track. He then ordered his dog to "see me off". I elected to ride off and ignore the idiot but his dog was 'on a mission'. After 50 yards of snapping at my ankles (he drew blood) I'm afraid I lost my temper, stopped, attacked the dog in self defence and very nearly removed the head of the owner I was so angry. I don't believe the dog suffered any long term damage, and I certainly came close to flattening the Dog owner as well. I then rode away.

I found the whole episode very upsetting, I havent 'lost it' like that in 30 years! I am now very wary of dogs. Clearly this was down to the owner being a total F*****T. Perhaps I should have reported it to the Police, but that would have involved a waste of everone's time.

Most Dog owners are I'm sure, polite and considerate, but there's a few..........................!!!**XX!!!

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
CHiPs

I think either the odd "ting" or a "good morning/afternoon" is a good idea when someone has their back to a bike, and I also throw in a friendly smile as they look round. I frequently slow down as well if the paths are on the narrow side. Those methods have never received a negative reaction and often got a good response.

Not always from dogs though, they are unpredictable and can dislike bikes on principle!

MOVI0005.jpg

Flecc. This is what I look like on a normal day. I think if I smiled it wouldn't make no difference I am terrifying no matter what. My mate thinks I look like CHiPs from the TV series when I am on my bike. Just need some tight cream trousers and a few badges anyone got any?

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yes, as always, its the ignorant few dog owners that give dogs a bad name.......some poor dogs would be better of without 'us'.......but not mine of course..........they would never fit in as much foreign travel with anyone else :D :D

Lynda :)

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Donkeydoo, It varies greatly across the Borough. For instance, on Akers Way the cycle half is next to the road. I'm afraid the delineating white line on shared routes has lost any meaning over the years, the pedestrians just wander about all over the place, as they have a right to do.

You may have noticed the newer additions to the network have no such division, with only the occasional little blue sign indicating shared use. As one of the first towns in the country to switch off the speed cameras, the emphasis is now focused on personal responsibility and applied to all forms of transport in Swindon. With the exception of Town Centre and Cricklade Rd, you can get away with riding a bike just about anywhere, providing your actions do not impact upon others around you.

In the new developments to the North of Thamesdown Drive, you will see the first use of 'shared space' initiatives, and the car drivers are going potty, the shared pavements are wider than the roads!.

All dogs must be kept under 'control' when in public places, which is just about everywhere that hasn't got a roof on it.

Hope to see you around Swindon one day.

Regards
Bob

Hi Bob

Nice to hear from someone in Swindon. You are right about the mixture ie Akers Way etc. We normally travel from West Swindon to Dorcan. I didn't know about 'shared space' though. We might bump into each other one day.

Last edited:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
A situation I find most awkward with dogs, usually off-road, is when the dog is not on a lead and your path is between dog and owner. Seeing, or hearing, you approaching the owner calls their dog. The dog then looks up at its owner, wondering why it’s being called, but does not move. At this point you arrive with dog and owner looking at each other across your path, but not at you. You then have to decide if the dog going to be obedient, and run across in front of you, or stand its ground. There’ve been times when I’ve come to a halt in-front of them.

It would be much better if the owner left the dog to look after itself.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
A situation I find most awkward with dogs, usually off-road, is when the dog is not on a lead and your path is between dog and owner. Seeing, or hearing, you approaching the owner calls their dog. The dog then looks up at its owner, wondering why it’s being called, but does not move. At this point you arrive with dog and owner looking at each other across your path, but not at you. You then have to decide if the dog going to be obedient, and run across in front of you, or stand its ground. There’ve been times when I’ve come to a halt in-front of them.

It would be much better if the owner left the dog to look after itself.
I agree 100% with this one. The dog is very clearly the more intelligent than the owner sometimes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc. This is what I look like on a normal day. I think if I smiled it wouldn't make no difference I am terrifying no matter what. My mate thinks I look like CHiPs from the TV series when I am on my bike. Just need some tight cream trousers and a few badges anyone got any?
I'm sure you've got as good a smile as anyone, and if smiling when saying "good morning/afternoon", it comes though on the voice as well. However, I have an advantage in that I don't wear a battle bowler or shades and have plenty of smile crease lines on my face!

I've tried speaking dog as well, but my "woof" isn't very convincing. :(

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
And I'm now trying to remember where I read the advice that when set upon by a dog, the best defence was a proper old-fashioned bicycle pump. It was left up to you to whether to beat the hound about the head with it or to ram the pump down its throat.

Alas, nowadays you'd probably get sued for infringing the dog's rights and causing its owner to be traumatised ...

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Alas, nowadays you'd probably get sued for infringing the dog's rights and causing its owner to be traumatised ...
I killed a dog that went to bite my son last year - trust me, in that situation you'll get no bother from the authorities at all.

Last edited:

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
'Richard's Bicycle Book' of blessed memory - came out in the 70's and had plenty of reprints. It was excellent, although luckily I've never had to put the dog fending-off technique to the test.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
An old motor cyclists trick that I used a couple of times back in the 1960's was if the dog was on your near side, just keep going at a speed to keep his head level with the back axle, (generally this can be up to 20mph), then go as close as possible to a car parked on your nearside, the dog generally not only hits the car but ends up underneath it. They rarely chase another motor cycle.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
'Richard's Bicycle Book' of blessed memory
That's it! :D

To go off at a tangent for a minute, we are blessed with a new development of "executive residences" backing onto the bottom of our garden. Yesterday, whilst trying to enjoy the sunshine and faff about peacefully in the garden, The Lady Wife and I were vexed by the continual yapping of the small dog belonging to the inmate of the adjacent £680,000 abode.

The offending animal is a small white fluffy thing, for which word is the proud owner paid the best part of £2000. And I can believe that. I eventually stood on top of our compost heap and peered over their fence, to see the wench who lives there sat outside reading a book, completely oblivious to the confounded animal yapping its head off less than ten feet away from her.

"Hello" says I. "Would you mind keeping your dog quiet please? It's been yapping for over an hour now"

"Oh has it?" says she. "Well I am trying".

I'm not often lost for words, but the best I could do in response to that was "Really? Then could you try harder please?"

I will never understand the mentality of most dog owners.

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
"Hello" says I. "Would you mind keeping your dog quiet please? It's been yapping for over an hour now"

"Oh has it?" says she. "Well I am trying".

I'm not often lost for words, but the best I could do in response to that was "Really? Then could you try harder please?"

I will never understand the mentality of most dog owners.
It's a bit hard on the dog, but a pound of cooked burger laced with laxative might change her mind.