DFT consultation on increase of 250W limit to 500W

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You need 8 points to keep the reg. The one with the sidecar has a hard tail rear end so has lost its 5 points for an unaltered frame, the forks may be AJS 1 point. The second one may have a AJS frame but the rest is all superdream.
Why do you think the frame has been altered. The Model 18 had a rigid frame into the 1950s. There was also the Model 26 before that.

I just found this thread, where one guy suggested that the 8 point system has been abandoned.
MOT Exempt - 'Substantially Modified' (sohc.co.uk)

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
Why do you think the frame has been altered. The Model 18 had a rigid frame into the 1950s. There was also the Model 26 before that.

I just found this thread, where one guy suggested that the 8 point system has been abandoned.
MOT Exempt - 'Substantially Modified' (sohc.co.uk)
The rear end doesn’t look AJS to me more like one of the Bolt on/weld on hard tails you can buy. The cross piece looks to be in a different position. The 8 point rule is on gov.UK

Attachments

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
Spotting these ringers for want of a better word has become a hobby after contacting the Federation of British historic vehicle clubs who are linked on gov.UK web site as experts, on whether 40 year old Q reg cars are Eligible for Historic status.
As I read it on gov.Uk Q reg vehicles are eligible if they where first registered 40 years ago and as long as they have not been altered in the past 30 years. But because this is been disputed on various Facebook groups and forums I wanted to find out the truth. The first Q reg was issued in 1983 so as of April this year they should be eligible for tax exemption. I e-mailed the FBHVC and got the reply they weren’t, IMG_4838.jpegthen they replied some may be and they would get back to me and they haven’t.
This week the FBHVC have posted a link to gov.UK’s call for evidence on registering historic,classic,rebuilt vehicles and vehicles converted to electric. I don’t like the FBHVC suggested answers to questions 15 and 20. Hence my crusade to show them a 40year old kit car is just as historical important as a run of the mill classic car.
Mines not eligible for another 10 years unless we can get historic status changed to 30 years. When the government started this it was 25years. Mean while here’s a couple more a 1982 Harley and a lotus.IMG_4838.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
"Video shows top speed of 73mph with no pedalling"

While I have no sympathy at all for this 'thing' or its owner, there is no way that a motorcycle with a 2000 watt motor would ever get anywhere near 73 miles an hour.

The air resistance load comes in massively over about 45 - 50 miles an hour. 2000 watts is about 2.5 horse power, certainly not legal as an unregistered bike, but only the power of an old 2 stroke moped which might get to 30 miles an hour. One of my motorbikes, an old Honda twin has 20 horse power and that would be struggling to get to 73 miles an hour. The increasing resistance of the air at over 50 miles an hour shows up when you consider that a 10 horse power CG125 can achieve 60 miles an hour carrying a medium sized bloke, where as the 250 Honda with twice the power will only get another 10 miles an hour or maybe a touch more.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
While I have no sympathy at all for this 'thing' or its owner, there is no way that a motorcycle with a 2000 watt motor would ever get anywhere near 73 miles an hour.

The air resistance load comes in massively over about 45 - 50 miles an hour. 2000 watts is about 2.5 horse power, certainly not legal as an unregistered bike, but only the power of an old 2 stroke moped which might get to 30 miles an hour. One of my motorbikes, an old Honda twin has 20 horse power and that would be struggling to get to 73 miles an hour. The increasing resistance of the air at over 50 miles an hour shows up when you consider that a 10 horse power CG125 can achieve 60 miles an hour carrying a medium sized bloke, where as the 250 Honda with twice the power will only get another 10 miles an hour or maybe a touch more.
Yes - the figure they are quoting (without realising) is the no load speed based on how fast the rear wheel spins if you lift it and then look at the "speed" on the display.

Reactions: Ghost1951 and Az.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
That’s looks like an NB Power version of a QS 205 motor and an MQcon Sabvoton controller. It is more like 11kW if it is using a 72 volt battery and a 72150 controller.

Speed and wattage is about right for an unloaded wheel of that size.

I have a similar Risun Motor version on a 19” wheel with a 72100 controller and mine hits 79 mph unloaded.

It‘s really not a good idea for them to test it like that on the street with the wheel spinning at over 70 mph. If it slipped, the bike would shoot off at high speed and could kill somebody.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That’s looks like an NB Power version of a QS 205 motor and an MQcon Sabvoton controller. It is more like 11kW if it is using a 72 volt battery and a 72150 controller.

Speed and wattage is about right for an unloaded wheel of that size.

I have a similar Risun Motor version on a 19” wheel with a 72100 controller and mine hits 79 mph unloaded.

It‘s really not a good idea for them to test it like that on the street with the wheel spinning at over 70 mph. If it slipped, the bike would shoot off at high speed and could kill somebody.
Interesting input. If that is correct, and it is 11KW,, with the 72 volt battery, the thing is about 15 hp which would still be unlikely to reach 73 miles an hour in realistic conditions, but it would get over sixty most likely. It's always a bit surprising how heavily the wind resistance starts eating up horse power at over fifty or so. Of course, with an electric bike, other factors would eat up that power output, such as cold weather and how much the bike has done since its last charge up.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Regardless of the legality, it's a very cool bike and must've cost him a right few bob.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Regardless of the legality, it's a very cool bike and must've cost him a right few bob.
I agree. It even has twin front discs although the right side doesn’t have a caliper fitted. So it’s definitely been built for high power. Could even have a Sabvoton 72200 controller on it, but I can’t tell if it’s the bigger one from the photo because they look the same, but the 72200 is a bit longer than the 72150 and 72100.

If it’s the 72200 then it’s 14 to 15 kW

They may not crush this one and it could turn up at a police auction.

Reactions: portals

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
We are going to get a Labour government, so don’t hold your breath on this going through.

Reactions: One_Box