Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
The site I am linking to here, has a lot of accessible scientific research papers on all kinds of health related topics. They are accessibly written, but usually link to the original research papers if you want the full version. I think it is one of the best and most scientific sites of the kind. I rarely look here and don't find something pretty interesting to read.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Very interesting

"They studied a group of nearly 390,000 people, mostly in Britain, over a period of 11 years and found there was an increased risk for depression and anxiety even at pollution levels below UK air quality standards."

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Very interesting

"They studied a group of nearly 390,000 people, mostly in Britain, over a period of 11 years and found there was an increased risk for depression and anxiety even at pollution levels below UK air quality standards."
Studies like this one and the ones they cite as related suffer from the problem that they are looking for associations - correlations in fact.

I am certain that you are familiar with the old saying, 'correlation is not causation.'

Dealing with that issue is a fundamental part of any course in 'research methods and statistics'.

The fact that two things seem to fit together in the data does not mean that one caused the other. For example - there is a robust correlation in the UK between drowning and sales of ice cream. Drownings go up as ice cream sales rise. Would anyone claim that the sales of a confectionery product caused the drownings? Of course not. In that case there is an obvious external factor which is much more likely to account for the increase in drownings. People in the UK rush to spend more time by water bodies when the weather is hot and sunny and also happen to buy more ice cream at these times. It is the proximity of lots of people - especially the young to bodies of water which leads to the drownings.

This is just an illustrative example of why studies of correlation which almost all of these ill health / air quality papers claims depend on and this is why I object to their use in building up fantastical claims related to air quality issues - especially when the air quality of the UK is VASTLY better than it has ever been since the Industrial Revolution - an objective fact - which I have repeatedly linked to with government web site graphs and data.

I do not disagree at all that heavy air pollution is both unpleasant and harmful. I am of an age to remember when most homes in the city of my birth were heated by coal fires burning filthy bituminous coal which caused a heavy stink of the chemical byproducts of low temperature coal burning. I remember that most of the grand public buildings built of sandstone were black with soot - an obnoxious chemical cocktail of poisonous compounds. NONE of that exists now, but we are constantly bombarded by exaggerated claims which are easily knocked down, and can be demonstrated as ridiculous by simply looking at the graphs I have shown here which make it clear that particulate pollution has been vastly reduced since even the 1970s - eighty percent reductions in particulates and similar in Nitrogen Oxides. This is an entirely different country to the one I lived in sixty odd years ago as far as air quality is concerned.

The claim in the article linked to, suggests that air pollution is related to depression. This is ridiculous. The writer points out that -

""Socioeconomically disadvantaged individuals were observed to be at a much higher risk of late-life depression in this study," they said. "They are simultaneously exposed to both social stress and poor environmental conditions, including air pollution."

Indeed, they may be, but WHICH of the factors mentioned CAUSED their increased tendency to depression? Shortage of money? Social stress? Poor environmental conditions?

Also though; the writer does not mention probably the most damaging blight on the lives of socio-economically disadvantaged people - low levels of education and absolutely terrible life-style habits, such as bad diet, high incidence of toxic habits such as smoking, alcohol and drug abuse and chaotic behaviour. THESE kinds of issues are vastly more damaging than the one picked out for attention.

This is absolutely terrible research. And a useless article if you want to know what caused the depression or other health issues. It ignores the most likely causes and focuses on one of the least likely ones.

Coming back to the core of my issues with this kind of material - you can only attribute causation by controlling for all the variables. This is what experiments do. The researcher either removes or controls for all the variables, and this is very difficult to do when we are talking about multi faceted problems and doing so over the lifetime of participants . Only if you do this, can you then assert with confidence, that increased consumption of ice cream either does or does not cause an increase in drowning, or that low levels of air pollution create depression.

I am reluctant to get drawn further into this discussion because it has been shown to be entirely fruitless. There are people here who have a religious attachment to what amounts to a doctrine. It has nothing to do with actual data and well conducted research. They spurn the opinions of Dr Spiegelhalter, the emeritus professor of statistics at Cambridge University that the claims that forty thousand people a year in Britain die prematurely because of air pollution are pretty much baseless, so what can I say that will convince them. might as well go to Salt Lake City and tell the prophets of Mormonism that Joseph Smith was a con man.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Very interesting

Yeah, depression must be caused by pollution - nothing to do with tyrannical government, mass immigration, lock downs, city living, threat of war and rising prices.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Indeed, they may be, but WHICH of the factors mentioned CAUSED their increased tendency to depression? Shortage of money? Social stress? Poor environmental conditions?
"Covariates
A directed acyclic graph was drawn to discern which covariates are confounders (eFigure 1 in Supplement 1).31,32 Sociodemographic factors (age, sex, race and ethnicity, length of time at residence, and assessment center), socioeconomic status (Townsend deprivation index, education level, and employment status), and local environmental exposure (24-hour weighted average noise, and proximity to major roads) were collected at baseline. The detailed information for covariates is described in eMethods in Supplement 1."

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
EXTRACT

I am reluctant to get drawn further into this discussion because it has been shown to be entirely fruitless. There are people here who have a religious attachment to what amounts to a doctrine. It has nothing to do with actual data and well conducted research. They spurn the opinions of Dr Spiegelhalter, the emeritus professor of statistics at Cambridge University that the claims that forty thousand people a year in Britain die prematurely because of air pollution, are [pretty much baseless, so what can I say that will convince them. might as well go to Salt Lake City and tell the prophets of Mormonism that Joseph Smith was a con man.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
They spurn the opinions of Dr Spiegelhalter, the emeritus professor of statistics at Cambridge University
I certainly don't - I always listen very carefully to what he says - his conclusion in his 2017 article was that
"It can still be good to seek improvements in air quality, but only provided these are based on a careful analysis of the costs per life-year saved."

I don't see how his 2017 article is relevant to peer reviewed research published in 2023 that you kindly directed me to via the Science Alert website

eta emeritus means having retired but allowed to retain their title as an honour. Most retired professors are emerirtus (some have "gone emeritus" but not Dr Spiegelhalter)

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I remember the days of the "J shaped curve" when small amounts of alcohol was supposed to be beneficial - that all seems to have changed now. Also then the guidelines were not more than 28 units / week for men

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I remember the days of the "J shaped curve" when small amounts of alcohol was supposed to be beneficial - that all seems to have changed now. Also then the guidelines were not more than 28 units / week for men
I can remember driving in France in teh late 1970s and there were billboards all over the place with a fat little red faced man with either a wine glass or a bottle of vin rouge in his hands and a slogan under neath saying

"Not more than two litres".

That wasn't a week. That was a day!

I'd be laid out ill for two days if I drank a litre these days. I think I would have been when I was thirty.

Funny thing is - I can't find that -phrase on the Internet, but I did find this one. I wonder if my memory is exaggerating.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
The dye in Doritos can make mice transparent

"If Yellow 5 dye does prove safe in topical applications for humans, it might eventually be used for purposes as varied as early skin cancer detection, easing the process of routine blood draws for those with hard-to spot veins, speeding up laser tattoo removal, or supercharging photothermal cancer treatments, says Hong."

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Scientists use magnetic nanotech to safely rewarm frozen tissues for transplant

"Looking to extend the viability of human tissues, researchers report inNano Letters their efforts to facilitate completely freezing, rather than cooling and then thawing, potentially life-saving organs. They demonstrate a magnetic nanoparticle's successful rewarming of animal tissues."