Changes to selling e-bikes, conversion kits and batteries on eBay.co.uk - No more private (personal) sales.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Arguing isn't going to change anything.
I'm not trying to create an argument. I'm just saying that you're misrepresenting the risk as being unique to air fryers; IMO, it is not.

Besides, if an air fryer is to be the death of me, I'll have more than offset the loss of life due to having spent much less time cooking!

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
+1 for gas hob and dual electric fan oven, best of both worlds!

You can't cook a decent steak on an electric hob as you just can't get the heat right, with gas it's easy to get the perfect steak you want every time.

We were in London for a week in summer staying in a friend's flat on Portobello Rd who was away on business, she had quite a large posh looking airfryer that said it did lots of stuff. We tried it and were not impressed, the toast took twice as long, didn't brown and tasted like it had been sitting out all day and dried up. Gave up after it couldn't make toast...

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You can't cook a decent steak on an electric hob as you just can't get the heat right, with gas it's easy to get the perfect steak you want every time.
You can with heavy cast iron skillets. There's more far-infrared heat. Cast iron needs seasoning, I usually go with 5 to 10 layers. Michelin Star chefs use 15 or more, but who's got the time?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

We were in London for a week in summer staying in a friend's flat on Portobello Rd who was away on business, she had quite a large posh looking airfryer that said it did lots of stuff. We tried it and were not impressed, the toast took twice as long, didn't brown and tasted like it had been sitting out all day and dried up. Gave up after it couldn't make toast...
Where do you get the money for steak from? Should I inform the police?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Yes a gas grill is the best for toast. Electric ones are too slow and waste a lot of energy, which makes the energy cost too high. Electric toasters are OK for plain toast, but you can't put the cheese on, can you? Air fryers for cheese on toast are just rubbish. I can't afford stakes, so I don't care about that. If I can't get my cheese on toast right, I'd probably make a date with my maker. Life wouldn't be worth living.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Where do you get the money for steak from? Should I inform the police?
I got rid of my car in June to see how it went walking and cycling everywhere. Benefits include the Woodlands road Sainsburys round corner from snooker club where I've been teaching my son past few years. When I took car we never went near it...now I have discovered that they do a 'dine for two' meal, that offers two quite nice steaks ;-) I go for the vegs, lime cheesecake and bottle of red wine :)

Normally I would just go to Tescos and shove the steaks down my trousers...

• :D
Reactions: kevsbike and Az.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I should've added they also sell Goodfellas pizzas for £1.49, so that's my son and saneagle sorted! :)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
2 bar electric fires are ideal for making toast on. and economical as its on providing heat for the room, plus you can make some toast while you're sitting there watching tv.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
When I was a student a 2 bar electric fire was a luxury if both (even one) of the bars worked.

Unfortunately they gave out fck all heat in a freezing flat.

Also too easily broken by constantly lighting marlboro ciggies of the bars.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Unfortunately they gave out fck all heat in a freezing flat.
It's got to be on for a decent length of time to get the heat into the fabric of the building.
A couple of mates, living in a multi-story, fiddled the electric(they were addicts) It was a 3 bed flat and they had x2 fires on the go(2 bars each) constantly, night and day for about 3 years.
They would adjust the heat in the flat by opening or closing windows.

Until that fateful day when one of them(David) opened the knock at the door without checking first and it was a guy from the electricity company round to read the meter.
I reckon the guy had kittens when he saw what had been done, so the company involved the police, removed the standard meter the guys had bypassed, and replaced it with a payment meter.
(Tale told to the police was it was like that when they moved in, original tenant had od'd a few years earlier. Unable to prove = no case to answer)

But because these were multi story, the electrical junction box was on each landing behind easy to open doors, and basically just bypassed the new meter in the same manner they had bypassed the original one.

Involved as i was told -removing the fusees cuts off all power to that flat, allowing them to go to work on it, with the meter bypassed they replace the fuses.

Back to free leccy for a few more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: portals

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Also too easily broken by constantly lighting marlboro ciggies of the bars.
I remember it well. 34 Dunearn St, Glasgow 1973, only it was Embassy cigarettes at 28p for a packet of 20. There didn't seem to be such a thing as central heating then, and student grants weren't enough to keep the meter topped up for electric fires. The three bar (only 2 worked) fire must have been a luxury that was only brought out in extreme conditions. The flat was on the second of three floors surrounded by other flats. I guess our heating must have come through the walls of the other flats because I can't remember being cold.

Reactions: portals

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Tabletop halogen ovens cook epic pizza, but you must place them on a mesh at the bottom for hot air to circulate and cook through, also best cook slow at a lower temp, then rapidly and extremely hot at the end delicifying the crusty cheese topping. Frozen chips, various fresh or frozen veg cooks very fast without additional oil. Also you can roast meat efficiently if parcelled small in foil. Baking home made pitta breads is fast. If the mechanical timer doesn't fail first, bulbs die within about a year and they're difficult to extract because grease seizes up bolts, and it's cheaper to buy a brand new halogen oven than a replacement bulb (if you can find the right one. Don't touch the bulbs with your fingers, because they'll fail more quickly [glass cracks]... unless you remove finger grease using isopropyl alcohol). Great steamers too.

The elements in air fryers might last longer (dunno), but I avoid PTFE like the plague it is.

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
It's got to be on for a decent length of time to get the heat into the fabric of the building.
A couple of mates, living in a multi-story, fiddled the electric(they were addicts) It was a 3 bed flat and they had x2 fires on the go(2 bars each) constantly, night and day for about 3 years.
They would adjust the heat in the flat by opening or closing windows.

Until that fateful day when one of them(David) opened the knock at the door without checking first and it was a guy from the electricity company round to read the meter.
I reckon the guy had kittens when he saw what had been done, so the company involved the police, removed the standard meter the guys had bypassed, and replaced it with a payment meter.
(Tale told to the police was it was like that when they moved in, original tenant had od'd a few years earlier. Unable to prove = no case to answer)

But because these were multi story, the electrical junction box was on each landing behind easy to open doors, and basically just bypassed the new meter in the same manner they had bypassed the original one.

Involved as i was told -removing the fusees cuts off all power to that flat, allowing them to go to work on it, with the meter bypassed they replace the fuses.

Back to free leccy for a few more years.
Good story, fiddling the leccy, did they live in Brookside close...? :p

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Electric toasters are OK for plain toast, but you can't put the cheese on, can you?
That's what the Breville is for, cheese toasties!

A 'slow' cooker appeared a few weeks ago, why anyone would want to cook slowly is beyond me, I get grumpy when my bacon takes more than a couple of minutes to cook under grill...

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
did someone say Air fryer ;) ?? - team Tefal actifry here turning a 2kg bag of marris Piper spuds into perfect golden chips in 30-40 mins.. ( ok 40-50 mins if you include the peel/chipping)

Just as versatile as any other air fryer if you think out of the box, (perfect bread rolls in 12mins (once risen))
and perfect (greggs/iceland) sausage rolls from frozen in about 15 mins..

costs a bit more than the £60 special above, but the 2 yr warranty is no quible collected fixed and returned promptly (ours died after about 22 months, and it took a 5 minute phone call to report/arrange collection)

oh slow .. Cooker..

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
See if you can pick up a George Foreman grill whilst your at it, they make great fried tomatoes and mushrooms, have a pink one, not even kidding...

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
did someone say Air fryer ;) ?? - team Tefal actifry here turning a 2kg bag of marris Piper spuds into perfect golden chips in 30-40 mins.. ( ok 40-50 mins if you include the peel/chipping)

Just as versatile as any other air fryer if you think out of the box, (perfect bread rolls in 12mins (once risen))
and perfect (greggs/iceland) sausage rolls from frozen in about 15 mins..

costs a bit more than the £60 special above, but the 2 yr warranty is no quible collected fixed and returned promptly (ours died after about 22 months, and it took a 5 minute phone call to report/arrange collection)

oh slow .. Cooker..
But can it make toast?