Carrera Vengeance Conversion

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
2 threads going.

Hi guys, I'm m new to the ebike world and I want to do a conversion on a Carrera Vengeance. I am buying the Vengeance new and would like recommendations on what motor I should get. Some people said I should buy a used bike but I figured why buy a used bike when I can buy a new one and keep it for years.

I have read pretty much about the Bafang but I want to know which is best. I'm not looking for so much power just enough for fun.

Just to add I will not be doing the conversion myself l, I'm taking it down to a bike shop to have it installed. Need help on what motor and ideas from you experienced folks.

Thanks everyone.

Google Cogs Y Gogs

nwbkr

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2024
Thanks guys, so much to learn.
I suggest you convert your Carrera Subway. There is no big difference between Subway and Vengeance. If you outgrow Subway you can quite easily transfer motor to a new bike. This way you will save some money now.
This I am going to do. I thought about it and for my first conversion it makes more sense.

Attachments

nwbkr

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2024
That is exactly what I was thinking right now. Bizango is a great bike, but it might not be possible to install mid drive on it. Better check it before buying
Yes and from the reviews I definitely want a mid drive. Do you think the mid drive will work on the subway? obviously you guys are experts at this.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I don't think there's anything wrong with Halfords bikes either. Is there something I'm missing?
No, all is good. It is just Saracen being himself.

Uncomfortable saddle? Cover is not a good idea. Better saddle and suspension seat post will give better results.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Yes and from the reviews I definitely want a mid drive. Do you think the mid drive will work on the subway? obviously you guys are experts at this.
It should, but show us a picture of your bottom bracket area after you flip bike upside down.

Reactions: nwbkr

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

This I am going to do. I thought about it and for my first conversion it makes more sense.
Looks like a good donor bike ! From what you are saying, I don't think you need front suspension forks - maybe get a suspenion seat post. If they are mechanical disc brakes at the minute then convert them to hydraulic - dead easy and cheap to do

The chainstays don't look to flared so should be ok but need a closer pic

nwbkr

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2024
Looks like a good donor bike ! From what you are saying, I don't think you need front suspension forks - maybe get a suspenion seat post. If they are mechanical disc brakes at the minute then convert them to hydraulic - dead easy and cheap to do

The chainstays don't look to flared so should be ok but need a closer pic
Got ya. Thanks a lot guys. I'm open to recommendations on parts and where to buy too.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Many bad reviews, cheap bikes mainly not all, cheap parts

Do the googling
I don't have to read reviews. I use my own judgement. Halfords sells low end bikes, mid and high end. You buy cheap bike, you get cheap parts. No surprises there. I have three bikes in my shed I bought at Halfords. I think I am going to buy fourth one - Voodoo Nzumbi for my daughter. If you can find better 26inch bike for 10 years old girl then I am all ears.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Got ya. Thanks a lot guys. I'm open to recommendations on parts and where to buy too.
Frame looks good, but you never know for sure until you try.

You have two options. Legal and illegal.

The only company that sells legal TSDZ8 is Woosh. £380 or £330 for friends and family. I suggest you try to claim discount. The same illegal motor is at least £100 cheaper elsewhere... but it is illegal.

Battery for example here:

Another suggestion - do it yourself. It is not a rocket science and you will get experience. There will be always time to call a guy for DIY rescue if needed.

Last edited:

nwbkr

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2024
Frame looks good, but you never now for sure until you try.

The only company that sells legal TSDZ8 is Woosh. £380 or £330 for friends and family. I suggest you try to claim discount. The same illegal motor is at least £100 cheaper elsewhere... but it is illegal.

Another suggestion - do it yourself. It is not a rocket science and you will get experience. There will be always time to call a guy for DIY rescue if needed.
I'd take you up on it and build it myself. This is all the motivation I need. haha thanks a lot.

What are my illegal options. I don't mind either. Just want to guage what's worth it and what's not.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I'd take you up on it and build it myself. This is all the motivation I need. haha thanks a lot.

What are my illegal options. I don't mind either. Just want to guage what's worth it and what's not.
Illegal would be all motors sold by other sellers. Woosh is the only company I know of, which is selling legal TSDZ8s. Same motors, different stickers.

For example

I bought this 17.5Ah battery

It is smaller (better) than one sold by Greenlance, but shipped from Germany.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Frame looks good, but you never know for sure until you try.

The main reason for choosing Woosh to me is the level of customer service, they'll advise on suitable kits, give advice if you get stuck and have very clear instructions and then ongoing support

Last edited:

nwbkr

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2024
How hilly is your area and how heavy are you?
Hi Woosh you up next!! I filled the contact form on the site. Please what do you suggest motor wise, I'm leaning with AZ on the TSD. I was thinking bafang but seems TSD has more votes.