Carrera Crossfire

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
That is true if you are riding on private land to which the public don't have access and with the land owners permission.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Enlighten everyone then. Show some posts which have specific information on how do carry out the modification on a bike with my factory installed running gear. Not posts or people asking the question, or posts with people saying it's possible to do, posts which give detailed info. You'd be doing me a favour ☺.
I put 'Carrera' into the search function and checked the box 'Titles Only'. It came up with 20 pages of threads, I'm not going to trawl through all of that but you could. There must be some threads amongst that lot that will help you.

When you've found some threads that are helpful, then you should ask specific questions and I would politely advise against getting into quarrels with senior members of this forum because when you do have specific questions they will prove to be extremely knowledgeable (and helpful).

Also, I wouldn't get too drawn into arguments about speed, my 36v 250w bike does about 18 mph, I'll take my chances :)

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Is this any use ?

or

Is it a hub motor ?

JC998

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2018
I put 'Carrera' into the search function and checked the box 'Titles Only'. It came up with 20 pages of threads, I'm not going to trawl through all of that but you could. There must be some threads amongst that lot that will help you.
Nothing too specific. Carrera would be far to broad a search term, obviously. But I've also searched with more specific terms and not been able to find the information I need to enable me to do what I want to do.
There are threads started by people asking whether it's possible. And I've managed to ascertain that it is indeed possible with a controller swap. KT controllers are mentioned and it's suggested that the Suntour motor will work. The question I asked was specific.

When you've found some threads that are helpful, then you should ask specific questions
I'm pretty sure that's what I am doing

I would politely advise against getting into quarrels with senior members of this forum because when you do have specific questions they will prove to be extremely knowledgeable (and helpful).
"Getting drawn into sums it up". All I did was ask a question. It's they're prerogative if they want to start an argument about speed/the law or make assumptions about my intentions or whether I haven't used the search function. I'm only responding to their comments.

If someone who's done the conversion or knows how to do it wants to advise me the great. If people want to waste their time and energy replying with unhelpful comments then that's up to them . I'll either ignore it or I'll respond, that's up to me.

JC998

Jul 14, 2018
Is this any use ?

or

Is it a hub motor ?

This thread in particular is the one I referenced above. Which led to this thread.

I know a replacement controller and LCD will work with my existing hub and battery. What I don't know is whether the other hardware responsible for the PAS will work. Or, what else I need to modify to make it work.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

This thread in particular is the one I referenced above. Which led to this thread.

I know a replacement controller and LCD will work with my existing hub and battery. What I don't know is whether the other hardware responsible for the PAS will work. Or, what else I need to modify to make it work.
This thread

seems to suggest you will need a new cadence sensor

Reactions: JC998

JC998

Jul 14, 2018

Is it a hub motor ?
It is a hub motor. This thread (which I've also seen previously) is asking about using a thumb controller. I'm not interested in that as I said in the opening of the thread. It's the PAS I'm interested in maintaining

Thanks for the input though! Appreciate your help.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
to be fair the forums search facility isn't always the best - I usually do a google search and specify the site as pedelecs.co.uk

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
All of the above is only if relevance if riding on the public highway.
Which would be the standard place for a hybrid such as a crossfire. It's certainly not a mountainbike and its not really built with that in mind. It's designed to be used on the roads.
If you intend to use it offroad, you might damage it, and possibly come a cropper.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
If someone who's done the conversion or knows how to do it wants to advise me the great. If people want to waste their time and energy replying with unhelpful comments then that's up to them . I'll either ignore it or I'll respond, that's up to me.
Trust me here, because this is intended to be helpful to you...

If you want help, you need to turn down the attitude.

@saneagle knows the information you need is on this forum because he wrote it (and I remember reading it). As an ex-e-bike mechanic, he knows more about your bike than anyone else on this forum, and probably more than Halfords know about the Carrera/Suntour system themselves.

In the links provided above, he was formerly known as @vfr400. I suspect he just can't be bothered typing it all out again for the umpteenth time, which is why the suggestion is to learn from prior threads from those who asked and have done it before with his advice...THEN if/when you get stuck on specifics, ask.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tony1951 and flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

@saneagle knows the information you need is on this forum because he wrote it (and I remember reading it). As an ex-e-bike mechanic, he knows more about your bike than anyone else on this forum, and probably more than Halfords know about the Carrera/Suntour system themselves.

In the links provided above, he was formerly known as @vfr400. I suspect he just can't be bothered typing it all out again for the umpteenth time, which is why the suggestion is to learn from prior threads from those who asked and have done it before with his advice...THEN if/when you get stuck on specifics, ask.

Just sayin'.
Basically true, but just to make things clear. VFR400 is still alive and kicking and is still an ebike mechanic, though not practicing professionally. He was previously known as D8veh. Saneagle is not VFR400 as shown in my Avatar with Jason Bradbury. I am indeed an ex-ebike mechanic, but probably not in the way that you meant it.

JC998

Jul 14, 2018

Just sayin'.
You're entitled to your opinion. If Saneagle did write detailed information on how to carry out the modification, why not just say that? Or sign post me to it? Which Surely takes the same amount of effort telling someone to search for information. Their prerogative either way but I had already searched and had already found information. I asked a specific question about PAS functionality. If I'd been able to find that by searching I wouldn't have been asking!

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
You're entitled to your opinion. If Saneagle did write detailed information on how to carry out the modification, why not just say that? Or sign post me to it? Which Surely takes the same amount of effort telling someone to search for information. Their prerogative either way but I had already searched and had already found information. I asked a specific question about PAS functionality. If I'd been able to find that by searching I wouldn't have been asking!
Not many folks know every bike out there, and "Carrera crossfire" covers a LOT of different bikes and configurations of motor/controller etc.. Its a shame you didnt get the stock/usual response suggesting you elaborate on your bike with perhaps pictures of the motor/controller , and is your pas sensor torque or cadence based? etc..

Meanwhile save the flame-war with saneagle until he has helped you out with your bike.. As both the Font of much e-bike related wisdom in here and a few off the wall theories I'm sure he will engage you in both ;)