Carrera Crossfire

JC998

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2018
I have a 2002 Carrera Crossfire. I'd like to increase the speed a little or the point at which the motor cuts off. I understand that this is possible with a KT or other aftermarket controller.
I'd like to get a better understanding of how this would be achieved in practice. I'm happy to crimp or solder wires as necessary that's not an issue. I have no interest in thumb throttle controllers or anything like that, I'm happy with the pedal assist.
In order to achieve this do I just need to buy a controller and LCD screen, or are there other bits I will need to make the pedal assist work with my factory motor and battery?

Thanks

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Are you asking how to increase the speed of a bike to make it illegal ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the current PAS set up is a TS, one will need to replace that with cadence PAS sensor. It may mean replacing the current BB unit as well.
Other wise all that is needed is a KT controller 6 or 9 mosfet sinewave and any of the KT lcd's. The controller will have to be mounted externally in a bag of some kind.
If one uses the forum search , then it should show up a few threads as to which and what to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC998

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
2002 ? So this is a conversion ?

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
No, it's a factory made Ebike. Not a conversion.
Are you sure it's not a typo? Did you mean 2020?

Also, to keep the speed police here happy, you should have said something like, "I'm not satisfied with my crappy Halfords display screen and controller, how can I change the LCD, controller and PAS?"

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a 2002 Carrera Crossfire. I'd like to increase the speed a little or the point at which the motor cuts off. I understand that this is possible with a KT or other aftermarket controller.
I'd like to get a better understanding of how this would be achieved in practice. I'm happy to crimp or solder wires as necessary that's not an issue. I have no interest in thumb throttle controllers or anything like that, I'm happy with the pedal assist.
In order to achieve this do I just need to buy a controller and LCD screen, or are there other bits I will need to make the pedal assist work with my factory motor and battery?

Thanks
There are several threads on this forum. You should search, then read through them all to get an idea of the various options. Also, there are several versions of the bike, which each require different solutions.

JC998

Jul 14, 2018
2022!

I can't be bothered pandering to people, it's not illegal or unlawful to change the controller on a bike. They can draw their own conclusions ☺. I just ignore idiots.

JC998

Jul 14, 2018
There are several threads on this forum. You should search, then read through them all to get an idea of the various options. Also, there are several versions of the bike, which each require different solutions.
I found a few threads discussing Suntour motors and various Halfords bikes but nothing particularly helpful. Are you assuming that such threads exist on this forum or just assuming they I haven't bothered to search?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I found a few threads discussing Suntour motors and various Halfords bikes but nothing particularly helpful. Are you assuming that such threads exist on this forum or just assuming they I haven't bothered to search?
Either you haven't searched or you're a pretty crap searcher. I don't need to assume that.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
2022!

I can't be bothered pandering to people, it's not illegal or unlawful to change the controller on a bike. They can draw their own conclusions ☺. I just ignore idiots.
No its not that. Its just we get people joining and the thing they are looking to do it illegally increase the speed of their bike beyond the legal limits.

That isnt good for the forum as it would show up the members and bring the entire thing into disrepute.
Once you get multiple people joining to ask this exact same thing, people become suspicious of their actual motives.

So when someone joins and asks " I'd like to increase the speed a little or the point at which the motor cuts off " this pretty much says 'I want to make my legal bike illegal.
Now it depends on where you are posting from. The UK, and EU the max limit is 15.5mph, the US is I think 25mph

Someone coming on asking to increase the legal speed is effectively recruiting others into their illegality.

One of the problems i worry about is someone increases their speed, then blasts along the road and gets into an accident. If I or another member helped that person to break the law, they are also responsible for any damage caused or any injury to innocent road users.
Another point is the level of safety equipment on a cheap bike. by safety i mean brakes. and a simple pottering along the brakes can cope with both gentle slowing to a stop or an emergency stop, but over that speed there is the risk that the weight and combined speed will overwhelm the system and that means the stopping distance is increased to a point were its highly dangerous for both the user and any innocent road users.
Ebikes tend to be heavy so braking is probably more important.

Sure you can go horsing it down a hill which increases the speed past a recommended speed, but ive seen a lot of people in my 30 years building and riding bikes come a cropper because they're brakes couldn't cope.

All parts of a bike are essential, but only the brakes are critical. Push it past safe limits, it endanger others.

Some white haired old crazy bloke came up with something that explains it better than I could E=mc2

Hope that helps :)

JC998

Jul 14, 2018
Enl
Either you haven't searched or you're a pretty crap searcher. I don't need to assume that.
Enlighten everyone then. Show some posts which have specific information on how do carry out the modification on a bike with my factory installed running gear. Not posts or people asking the question, or posts with people saying it's possible to do, posts which give detailed info. You'd be doing me a favour ☺.

JC998

Jul 14, 2018
No its not that. Its just we get people joining and the thing they are looking to do it illegally increase the speed of their bike beyond the legal limits.
It's not illegal to increase the speed of a bike though. Whether one chooses to use the modified bike to break the law on a public highway is another matter. If people want to make assumptions that's their prerogative. There are plenty of forums which discuss modification on cars to increase performance and a whole industry to support it. That's not illegal. Driving a car over the speed limit is.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
But with pedelecs it's different. In order to be classed as a pedelec, and therefore exempt from all other motor vehicle requirements, tax, insurance, licence etc, the law states that the assist MUST cut off at 15.5mph (arguable 10% allowance on that). It's perfectly legal to ride the bike at greater speed than that, but not with assistance active.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
2022!

Just don't ignore the law

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's not illegal to increase the speed of a bike though. Whether one chooses to use the modified bike to break the law on a public highway is another matter. If people want to make assumptions that's their prerogative. There are plenty of forums which discuss modification on cars to increase performance and a whole industry to support it. That's not illegal. Driving a car over the speed limit is.
Like God, I help those, who help themselves. From where I sit, helping people on this forum is optional, not obligatory.

Reactions: Tony1951

JC998

Jul 14, 2018
Like God, I help those, who help themselves. From where I sit, helping people on this forum is optional, not obligatory.
Help themselves by using the search function? Indeed. But, there are no relevant threads are there? I think you assumed there would be and you assumed I hadn't already searched.
I think you realise you're wrong now as well. As if you haven't checked. And as if you wouldn't have linked these threads to prove yourself right if that way the case.

Last edited:

JC998

Jul 14, 2018
But with pedelecs it's different. In order to be classed as a pedelec, and therefore exempt from all other motor vehicle requirements, tax, insurance, licence etc, the law states that the assist MUST cut off at 15.5mph (arguable 10% allowance on that). It's perfectly legal to ride the bike at greater speed than that, but not with assistance active.
All of the above is only if relevance if riding on the public highway.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh