Burisch offroad electric bike, new for £649 on ebay

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Am I correct in reading that this bike does not have auto cutouts on the brake levers and allows power over 15 mph. If that is the case then the bike is clearly illegal for uk usage and would not pass EN15194. What surprises me is that to make these bikes legal is not expensive,the on cost to produce a legal bike at Chinese prices is minimal.Why produce such a nice looking bike and risk the legal implications of not protecting oneself and your customers by not getting EN15194. The ongoing court case involving the illegal bike and the London bus will end up in expensive tears for someone,just cannot understand traders or customers taking the risk
I think it's a nice looking bike but to sell volume you do need to establish a dealer chain or sell at rock bottom prices like the Cyclamatic.
Dave
Kudoscycles
Hi Dave.

The bike does have brakes that cut the power when you brake - and it does have a EN15194 sticker on the frame too. I have not actually put a speedo on it to say scientifically but my sense is that the power definitely does keep coming even after 15mph.

So somethings not right!

Maybe its just mine - but when I said to the guy (who I repeat seemed like a really nice bloke) - when I said the chain-ring was too small he said other people had said that too - so I think he's aware of all this...........

(

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Dave.

The bike does have brakes that cut the power when you brake - and it does have a EN15194 sticker on the frame too. I have not actually put a speedo on it to say scientifically but my sense is that the power definitely does keep coming even after 15mph.

So somethings not right!

Maybe its just mine - but when I said to the guy (who I repeat seemed like a really nice bloke) - when I said the chain-ring was too small he said other people had said that too - so I think he's aware of all this...........

(
Oxygen James...thanks for correcting that point,other readers clearly,by other postings,we're equally confused as myself. The Burisch is to my eyes a good looking bike and well priced for direct Internet selling,a good competitor to the Cyclamatic bike.
The only problem with all these direct internet sales is that ultimately the buyers want the best of both worlds,they want local dealer support and direct selling Internet prices. Many of us,including Kudos,have tried the direct selling route but it produces minimal sales,most customers want to see and preferably ride before they buy. I had a classic example of a customer who was in Hull,he loved the look and spec of the Kudos King bike but refused to buy one unless he could ride it locally. We got together with a local dealer,the customer bought the bike but the sale would have been lost without local support.
Add in the fair minimum profit margin expected of a dealer and all these e bikes start to approach that magical £1k price point.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Am I correct in reading that this bike does not have auto cutouts on the brake levers and allows power over 15 mph. If that is the case then the bike is clearly illegal for uk usage and would not pass EN15194. What surprises me is that to make these bikes legal is not expensive,the on cost to produce a legal bike at Chinese prices is minimal.Why produce such a nice looking bike and risk the legal implications of not protecting oneself and your customers by not getting EN15194. The ongoing court case involving the illegal bike and the London bus will end up in expensive tears for someone,just cannot understand traders or customers taking the risk
I think it's a nice looking bike but to sell volume you do need to establish a dealer chain or sell at rock bottom prices like the Cyclamatic.
Dave
Kudoscycles
If you look at the ebay item, you can see the brake cut-out cables and the ad states the max speed is 15mph.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Ok it is a nice looking bike at a very reasonable price,is there any real evidence that it does not meet our laws or has a very poor range, even if you add on a cyle analyst to make it go as far as any of the other bikes it is still as cheap and probably better looking than most at this price point ,in any case some of us would much rather have a bike that climbs hills very well,and looks good rather than one with weak power that has a long range on the flat where you could easilly ride without power anyway, there seems a lot of sellers trying to put the knives in to try and protect their own sales.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Ok it is a nice looking bike at a very reasonable price,is there any real evidence that it does not meet our laws or has a very poor range, even if you add on a cyle analyst to make it go as far as any of the other bikes it is still as cheap and probably better looking than most at this price point ,in any case some of us would much rather have a bike that climbs hills very well,and looks good rather than one with weak power that has a long range on the flat where you could easilly ride without power anyway, there seems a lot of sellers trying to put the knives in to try and protect their own sales.
Fishing Paul,quite the opposite,I think this bike is typical of the next phase of bikes to come out of China and have commented that ,I think it's a nice bike with good spec, but it seems right to point out that customers have to make a choice between paying about £600 to £700 for a bike without local dealer support or £700 to £1000 with local dealer support.
I met a guy in China who sells over 10,000 e bikes annually into Holland and his system really offers the best of both worlds. He sells the bike over the Internet but offers 'Fieds Net' mobile support,that support involves delivering the bike,setting up the bike,giving instruction to the purchaser and ongoing mobile support,all for a one off cost. But we just don't have the volumes or infrastructure to support such a scheme in the UK,maybe with time it will come,his bikes average cost about euro 799 so it is cheap.
I am supportive of every new entrant into the market for competition is always good for business, there will I am sure be many similar bikes to come out of China over the next few months.
Dave
Kudoscycles

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Not bad Not bad at all for that price and looks quite stylish too.
The only thing that i'm not keen on is the handle bar stem length, because recently i had tried out a bike like this and i was told buy the dealer that in order to raise the handle bar an extension would have to be
fitted. Well i suppose what suits you as a rider.

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
Just found this little baby !! Advanced technology - step aside Buricsch !

power assisted bike | eBay

Hope the seller is not on this forum !

I think the box may house carrier pigeons which you can use to get a message to your loved ones that you're stranded. Mind you, not often you get a Chippendale bike coming up for sale . . .:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

aeschylus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2012
I am sorely tempted by this, even @ £699, I wonder if there is any movement on price if you call them up to pay by credit card, so they avoid all the ebay fees?

It is so hard to decide as most of the negative posts are from sellers of other bikes, which on one hand makes you think they feel threatened.

Any other members have one who are not affliated with another e-bike?

norry

Jun 22, 2012
Review from a first time e-bike rider.

First a brief introduction so you can see the context in which the review is given. I regularly ride my MTB bike with road tires to work with a 12 mile round trip. Sometimes for giggles I also commute on my 36" road unicycle

I've had little experience with e-bikes but have recently ridden a Whisper 905 Sport, a Smart bike and a custom kit fitted to a Scott hard tail. I can only make comparisons based on those other e-bikes.

Apart from the custom kit bike I didn't really get on with the other e-bikes. The Whisper reeks of quality but for me it didn't feel like a bike. It felt like ridding a tank.

With that in mind I decided to take a risk and purchase the Burisch. It arrived last Friday and after putting it together and a few commutes to work here is what I think.

- It's light. It feels like a bike to ride without the battery turned on. This was the big thing for me. I wanted to be able to ride the bike without power assist if needed. Easily ridden at 15mph without switching on the power (this is what I average on my normal bike).
- It looks nice.
- I will have to replace the back brake as it's made of cheese. So that's another £14 for a better avid brake. Update: After a few tweaks with the brake I have got it working better so will now only replace it when the pads have worn out.
- The front light was a nice addition and I have tried it in the dark and works well.
- The 42t front chain wheel is far far to small (for me). Have ordered a 48t one.
- Don't know what the range is yet but I have so far done 14 miles on the battery and only 2 lights (out of 6) have gone. I suspect I might be charging it every other day, or maybe every 3 days if lucky.
- Controller: No way near as refined as the whisper. It has off, on, or throttle. The power kicks in after 3 seconds and doesn't stop until you brake or stop peddling.
- Power: Seems pretty good. If you forget to attached a little white wire that is sticking out of the controller (opps) then just on throttle it pushes you alone at 20mph. I had my GPS watch on and recorded this over 1 mile. If you attach the wire as you should then it's limited to 14/15mph. When
pedalling assisted it is easy to ride at 20mph. Even easier if they had supplied a bigger front cog.

In time I suspect like with any bike I will be replacing some of the cheaper parts (with upgrades) but they are more than fine until they wear out. I have so far added a seat post rack and some better pinned pedals. The front forks I've seen on £500 MTB and seem good quality.

After commuting with my GPS watch (as I always do) on I now have some comparisons over a 5.5 mile one way commute.

Unicycle : 28 mins, average speed 11.5mph
MTB Bike: 22 mins, average speed 14.5mph
Burisch : 16 mins, average speed 19.8mph

Oh and I love this bike, it's fast and fun to ride. I might limit it to dry day commutes and use the normal bike for the wetter months.

Hope this helps someone
Neil

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the report Neil, very helpful and informative for prospective buyers.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Looks like a good deal, but i become a bit wary when a new member comes on and gives it a plug and also regards the wisper 905 sport like ridding a tank :mad:

norry

Jun 22, 2012
Looks like a good deal, but i become a bit wary when a new member comes on and gives it a plug and also regards the wisper 905 sport like ridding a tank :mad:
It's not a plug, especially as I have already pointed out that the back brake is crap and you need a new chain wheel. I wonder how else I can prove it?

Apologies if I have offended anyone with my comment on the Whisper Sport. It really is a lovely bike. I'm used to light road bikes and light road unicycles so the weight of the Whisper when I tried it out really is a issue for me. Without any assist all purpose build e-bikes (note I have only tried two) I have tried felt sluggish and heavy. The two e-bikes I have tried that take a normal frame bike and add a battery and hub motor just seem nicer to ride. It's a personal thing.