Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
That makes no sense at all. You clearly have Internet so when at home connect to that and when out use mobile data.

And furthermore I don't belive anywhere. And I mean anywhere in London doesn't have at least a solid 3g connection unless you are a hobbit and live underground.
Flecc's a hobbit and lives underground?

Things are starting to make sense.....

• Dislike
Reactions: robdon

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
It is crazy that someone can refuse to appear and appear to "get away with it". The rest of us can be forced to appear in courts of law for what, at least some of the time, appear less significant issues. If the committee is unable to ensure attendance, then we need another approach which can force appearance. That could be a court of law, or some other approach. Leaving is open for people to simply say "I don't want to" does not seem a viable option for the future.

Commons report rules Dominic Cummings in contempt of parliament
Ex-director of Vote Leave campaign faces admonishment for refusing to appear at MPs’ committee
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/27/commons-report-rules-dominic-cummings-in-contempt-of-parliament
Shame the facts are the opposite. ie he did NOT refuse to attend.

But - truth - who cares huh?

Reactions: Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am getting tired making these corrections, but as the end is in sight, I will persevere.
The Deal that Mrs May signed was the result of 2.5 years of negotiation,where the result of the EU working around Mrs Mays set of RED LINEs , and the few of their own. Since the substantial matters had not been discussed in the UK Parliament, how could the EU know they were unattractive?. Indeed ,for similar reasons, how did Mrs May know they would be acceptable or otherwise?.
The EU wanted and wants a deal,it is UK who remain confused.
I doubt that they spent much time negotiating.
They all knew shortly after the result that no cherry picking means simply that the EU meant the UK to be presented with a simple choice: deal or no deal.
Deal means pay the bill and accept the backstop in exchange for the implementation period. No deal means simply no implementation period. The UK is out by the 29th. There isn't a third choice.
Admittedly, the idea of the backstop comes from the UK but even if the UK did not propose the backstop, the EU would want guarantees before allowing the UK an implementation period.
The backstop gives the UK clear advantages if we fail to conclude an FTA before the IP runs out.
What the ERG and the DUP are doing is to wrestle the PMship for their man. They couldn't do that last time when they called for a vote of no confidence in TM, they'll get her this time round by blackmailing her yet again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That makes no sense at all. You clearly have Internet so when at home connect to that and when out use mobile data.

And furthermore I don't belive anywhere. And I mean anywhere in London doesn't have at least a solid 3g connection unless you are a hobbit and live underground.
It makes perfect sense, I haven't got any mobile phone signal in my London Borough home, and I'm far from alone in that. Even in London there are many dead areas with no signal or a one bar signal that frequently drops out. Just see the large numbers who through no usable signal have non-working smart meters since they rely on the mobile network, I'm one of them too.

Therefore as a retired person who would also want to use a smartphone at home, one is little use to me since it couldn't receive calls at home either. So I have a landline phone and an old school PAYG mobile in my car for emergency use should one occur, no-one knowing its number.

I haven't use the word "anywhere" so I don't know what you mean in using that.

And I was responding in a discussion on the remote control of car speeds in restricted zones, so my home computer and internet connection are irrelevant to that subject.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It makes perfect sense, I haven't got any mobile phone signal in my London Borough home, and I'm far from alone in that. Even in London there are many dead areas with no signal or a one bar signal that frequently drops out. Just see the large numbers who through no usable signal have non-working smart meters since they rely on the mobile network, I'm one of them too.

Therefore as a retired person who would also want to use a smartphone at home, one is little use to me since it couldn't receive calls at home either. So I have a landline phone and an old school PAYG mobile in my car for emergency use should one occur, no-one knowing its number.

And I was responding in a discussion on the remote control of car speeds in restricted zones, so my home computer and internet connection are irrelevant to that subject.
I used to have problems getting a signal on East Coast, changed provider get one even in Filey, which is probably oldest fashioned town in Uk, its stuck firmly in 1955 and refuses to budge, and all better for it. Phone even works upto about 3 miles out to sea. If I were you flecc I, d move or change provider... Or dig a hole to surface...
Got perfect signal in India and South Africa?? Are there actually people who cant get a signal??
And our smart meter doesnt work either, had it fitted last year. They phone us up (on mobile signal) to say your signal isnt strong enough can you read your meter and txt us reading.!!! It is buried mind you...

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016

Instead of having that second breakfast I would strongly suggest looking at different service providers.

Give me 3 Square miles of your location. I don't need your address and I will find a provider that brings you into the late 20th century.

Unless its Wimbledon Common and your real name is uncle Bulgaria. Then I can't help you. But I would thank you.

• Dislike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I remember seeing a program about it. It can be done. I'm sure it's already the case in some parts of the world.

It's really not that difficult. Lampposts are effectively on a giant ring main.
It can be done, we have over 100 lamp post charge points in London now, but they are slow charging at about 10 amps maximum which only slowly tops up. Even then only some lamp post circuits are suitable over small areas. To fully charge today's latest e-cars reliably overnight needs at least a 30 amp feed at each point, preferably more.

Take my side street. It typically has some forty cars parked overnight, with four lamp posts which theoretically could cover 10% e-cars, assuming they could get to park alongside them. To ensure full charging each night each would need a 30 amp feed, so 120 amps in all, which would need a huge thickness cable at 220 volts.

But of course that's fed from the long cul de sac at the bottom which has over 50 lamp posts along its length and has some 14 side roads like mine off it . So we are speaking of well over 100 lamp posts and well over 3000 amps at 220 volts to supply just 10% of cars in my one little patch with about a 1000 homes.

There are no cables for that, they'd be solid copper bars! It can be done in positions very close to sub stations, but not on the common lighting networks.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Nev

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
They it can be done, we have over 100 lamp post charge points in London now, but they are slow charging at about 10 amps maximum which only slowly tops up. Even then only some lamp post circuits are suitable over small areas. To fully charge today's latest e-cars reliably overnight needs at least a 30 amp feed at each point, preferably more.

Take my side street. It typically has some forty cars parked overnight, with four lamp posts which theoretically could cover 10% e-cars, assuming they could get to park alongside them. To ensure full charging each night each would need a 30 amp feed, so 120 amps in all, which would need a huge thickness cable at 220 volts.

But of course that's fed from the long cul de sac at the bottom which has over 50 lamp posts along its length and has some 14 side roads like mine off it . So we are speaking of well over 100 lamp posts and well over 3000 amps at 220 volts to supply just 10% of cars in my one little patch with about a 1000 homes.

There are no cables for that, they'd be solid copper bars! It can be done in positions very close to sub stations, but not on the common lighting networks.
They could up the voltage at supply, existing cables could carry more power at higher voltage, then sort voltage at each light..Replace bulbs with LED so they use less... It wouldnt be ideal but would be a start...
We need to do something, infrastructure is barely existent at moment, but then again neither are the electric cars.. Still a rarity up north. Filey is going back to steam...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If I were you flecc I, d move or change provider...
You really don't give me much credit do you? I've already obtained SIM cards for all networks and checked them for signal, There's no usable one, and as I posted smart meters dont work here either. It's for terrain reasons, being on the lea of a valley that's blind side to the transmission masts. Ther are three relay points locally, but even they are blocked by the hills between them and my zone.

Ive also wandered the area with the SIM cards and found many dead spots. So overall it's just not worth my bothering to have smartphone until there's some big improvements in the area.

Even one G would be something!

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
They it can be done, we have over 100 lamp post charge points in London now, but they are slow charging at about 10 amps maximum which only slowly tops up. Even then only some lamp post circuits are suitable over small areas. To fully charge today's latest e-cars reliably overnight needs at least a 30 amp feed at each point, preferably more.

I agree that at the moment it would be a trickle charge but it's not beyond human engineering to change this. The infrastructure is already there. Couple that with personal hubs inside garages etc and it's about 5 years away with a good wind.

Although I would say 2030 and this will be common place. Plus factor in advancements in battery storage and other ways of charging and fossil fuel will be seen as very old fashion. Still around but costly and silly.

Like not being able to use a smart phone now. It will be seen as archaic.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You really don't give me much credit do you? I've already obtained SIM cards for all networks and checked them for signal, There's no usable one, and as I posted smart meters dont work here either. It's for terrain reasons, being on the lea of a valley that's blind side to the transmission masts. Ther are three relay points locally, but even they are blocked by the hills between them and my zone.

Ive also wandered the area with the SIM cards and found many dead spots. So overall it's just not worth my bothering to have smartphone until there's some big improvements in the area.

London aint all its cracked up to be then Flecc. You, d love Filey..

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016

I know you're not stupid but I also know the lea Valley. I lived in Waltham Cross. Yes there are areas of epping forest that may struggle. But you said a Borough of London. What borough? I can show you a service provider that covers every area of London.

Are you definitely in London?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They could up the voltage at supply, existing cables could carry more power at higher voltage, then sort voltage at each light..Replace bulbs with LED so they use less... It wouldnt be ideal but would be a start...
As an engineeer I know all this Zlatan, and the lamp posts in London are mostly LED now. But turning each lamp post into a mini substation with a transformer to handle 30 amps is impossible , on grounds of cost, space and underground insulation for high voltage feeds.

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
As an engineeer I know all this Zlatan, and the lamp posts in London are mostly LED now. But turning each lamp post into a mini substation with a transformer to handle 30 amps is impossible , on grounds of cost, space and underground insulation for high voltage feeds.
Costs would be met by consumers.

It's quid pro quo. Sure people that live in areas of low usage would struggle. Like Internet in the olden days. But money talks. Providers want to sell if people want to buy.
It's not inventing the wheel. The infrastructure is already there.

And remember. Its not every lamppost. One in five would suffice.

• Disagree
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Costs would be met by consumers.

It's quid pro quo. Sure people that live in areas of low usage would struggle. Like Internet in the olden days. But money talks. Providers want to sell if people want to buy.
It's not inventing the wheel. The infrastructure is already there.
You really don't understand. It's not just cost, consumers cannot provide the necessary space in a lamp post for provision of that high current conversion. And as I posted the infrastructure is not there for full charge rates.

We already have thousands of slow chargers, most of them hardly ever used, so there's little point in providing more. Each new generation of e-cars with ever bigger batteries make slow charging more useless.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
You really don't understand. It's not just cost, consumers cannot provide the necessary space in a lamp post for provision of thwt high current conversion. And as I posted the infrastructure is not there for full charge rates.

We already have thousands of slow chargers, most of them hardly ever used, so there's little point in providing more. Each new generation of e-cars with ever bigger batteries make slow charging more useless.
Your thinking and aspirations are old fashioned.

It can work. And it can work easily. Without getting back into remainers mind sets I would just say you are thinking in 20th century beliefs.

As in everything is perfect now why change it?

Because we can. We can make it better.

Advertisers