Brexit, for once some facts.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
two radio hosts on the same subject, which one is more convincing?

Julia HB: "We voted for Brexit to bring sovereignty back to the British people. It's the remoaners who are the hardliners. It's the remoaners who are the extremists. In a democracy those kinds of people need to be stopped."

James O'Brien
Those of us who’ve been proved miserably right about Brexit have hoped throughout that we’d misunderstood something & would be proved wrong. Those who’ve been proved categorically & catastrophically wrong about everything are still all over the media insisting that they’re right.

I guess they are both right and both wrong.

O'Brien is more convincing though.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
my view is the EU will continue to negotiate for as long as it takes and won't oppose to any extension of A50.
The A50 process loads the cost of negotiation onto the UK bill on top of normal subscription.
The UK pays the bills and have no say.
There is nothing to dislike as far as the EU bosses are concerned.
From one viewpoint , I can understand your argument, however, the game has a standard endpoint.. the EU elections

I see this conversation....
UK We want an an extension.
EU pourquoi?.
UK either we are working on plan B or Because our parliament says so (not sure of which answer)
EU ,A plan B, excellent,what is it?. ..The other answer might run foul of the moderator?.
UK, not sure yet of our plan B
EU, well when you are sure , come back to us. By the way ,it wouldn't be me you are dealing with in August, it will be whoever the EU decide to replace me with.... Meanwhile, I will suggest to my principals that we extend the time limit up to date of our elections. Will that help?
UK Not enough time!.
EU, then withdraw Article 50 and you will have all the time you need.
UK ... But our parliament did not authorise that,.It will lead to a GE.
EU... classic Gallic shrug.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
would you elaborate?

In the sense that they both believe their viewpoints to be correct but cannot back up either with fact.

Brewer is using the referendum as fact and saying the future will be good.

O'brien is saying that the exit has been disaster and because of that the future will be too.

Its just opinions.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In the sense that they both believe their viewpoints to be correct but cannot back up either with fact.

Brewer is using the referendum as fact and saying the future will be good.

O'brien is saying that the exit has been disaster and because of that the future will be too.

Its just opinions.
I find HB's combative tone in her comment 'In a democracy those kinds of people need to be stopped ' a little upsetting.

• Agree

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Please do try and keep on topic.

I thank you.

PS You're slipping, you didn't include any trollish insults in your post :eek::eek::eek:
Please remain on topic and follow the Moderator’s advice.

I would like to remind you that this forum is not your playground. It exist for people to debate Brexit. Please show those people respect by posting material which only relates to that subject.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Reactions: Fingers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
UK, not sure yet of our plan B
We all know that plan B is to use the IP to prepare for a Canada type FTA.
For that to happen, the Irish border needs to have a different solution so that the UK cannot be held hostage after the IP if the FTA is still not ready.

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just as Aviva ,which has its insurance company registered in Scotland, has created an Irish operation
Aviva's name was of course Norwich Union, showing just how little location means to these companies. They just position themselves for best advantage, and increasingly that will no longer be in the UK.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The UK has really got itself twisted up on this one. The only clear position at the moment is a slide towards no deal crashout.
Unless Theresa May's last minute cliff edge tactic gets her deal accepted. That only needs 51% of MPs to let their fear of No Deal triumph, which is perfectly possible, since it will also preserve their jobs for another three years.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We all know that plan B is to use the IP to prepare for a Canada type FTA.
For that to happen, the Irish border needs to have a different solution so that the UK cannot be held hostage after the IP if the FTA is still not ready.
Actually nobody knows that. More supposition, but probably more intelligent than most. If that was what they wanted, might it not have been prudent to negotiate?

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do not try and create a justification for worthless scum to attack and assault Emergancy Service workers who are trying their best to help other people.
He did nothing of the sort, he only provided a possible explanation for the uncivilised behaviour as others responses show. That doesn't in any way imply approval of it.

Nor does it justify you calling him a nazi.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Actually nobody knows that. More supposition, but probably more intelligent than most. If that was what they wanted, might it not have been prudent to negotiate?
most of the cabinet still believe we would be better off in a customs union of some sort so that Japanese car makers do not decamp to the EU27. Olly Robbins called it 'the bridge' for good reason. if during the IP, Mr Fox does not do any better and the EU27 still gives us a hard time negotiating an associated membership deal, we can use the backstop without paying membership fees to keep exporting cars and whisky until we get a good associated membership deal.
On the other hand, if Mr Fox succeeds (you know I doubt that he will), the Irish border needs a technical solution which must be as soft as possible. There is no guarantee that the EU27 will make things easy for the ROI by funding the cost of the solution on the ROI side. The EU's tactic is to rule out a Canadian style FTA.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’ve seen it remarked within these pages that you became so upset, frustrated and angry that you actually changed your identity from a previous one to Jonathan Agnew. I don’t know if this is true, only you know the answer to that, but if it is true, that really is a very sad state of affairs and you have my sympathy.
I don't know why anyone has an obsession with this?

What does it matter if anyone does change their online name, they are almost all fictitious anyway. There can be many reasons for changing it and deceit is only one of the many.

One of our most widely respected contributing members has had entirely different online identities in this forum at different times, none ever intended to deceive. He was probably not alone in that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I find HB's combative tone in her comment 'In a democracy those kinds of people need to be stopped ' a little upsetting.
I agree, saying that in a democracy people with a different view have to be stopped is as anti-democratic as it's possible to be.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Advertisers