Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Take our exports to the EU, £275 billions in 2017, if subjected to WTO, our exporters will incur something in the region of £10 billions in EU duty.
are you happy that EU sellers pay zero duty and our exporters get hit with £10 billions in duty?
It's a good question. And on the bare face of it the answer seems to be an obvious 'no'. But. You see there's a
'but' in there.

If the EU want to punish their consumers by putting those tariffs on - then that may well be what happens. Our exporters to the EU will indeed suffer. Yes. True. So they will either have to somehow find other places to sell to - or cut costs to deal with the tariffs or go bust.

Mind you the already approx 15% reduction in the value of the pound must have offset many of those tariff costs I would think - plus with a 'crash' out it could go lower - so things may not be as bad as some try to make out.

On balance. I still say yes. Free trade. Let the EU have this conversation with their electorate. Put the ball back in their court.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Cop on!. Colleagues of my daughter while working in that hospital were reduced to tears by insults levelled at them by patients ,whom they were helping. It was THAT to which the HR department was responding
Now it is my practice to answer a query . A maximum of three times,from the one questioner, and you have exceeded your quota on this topic.
Perhaps the patients who insulted the foreign nurses should have been removed from the ward and received their treatment in a skip, administered by a untrained medical staff. I would be quite happy with that.

I’m not overly concerned about exceeding my quota of replies. I’ll survive.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
No. Zero tariff would be best in both directions. Like we have now. It’s best for everyone. If tariffs are applied, I would like to see 50% on everything coming out of France & Germany or from companies they control. Make their products totally non viable in the U.K.
Protectionist nonsense. No wonder you switched sides! And no the zero tariff would not necessarily be in both directions. Not if the EU have their way. So be it. Bring it on.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Perhaps the patients who insulted the foreign nurses should have been removed from the ward and received their treatment in a skip, administered by a untrained medical staff. I would be quite happy with that.
The world never ceases to amaze me. Daughter been saying they often get stones and eggs thrown at fire engines when they are on calls. I just dont understand it.
Fire crew turn up to save lives often putting themselves at risk and get abuse from some. What on earth is that about???

• Agree
Reactions: 50Hertz

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Cop on!. Colleagues of my daughter while working in that hospital were reduced to tears by insults levelled at them by patients ,whom they were helping. It was THAT to which the HR department was responding
Now it is my practice to answer a query . A maximum of three times,from the one questioner, and you have exceeded your quota on this topic.
You`ve answered your own question.
This was a south central London hospital as you state, it then wouldn`t be to outrageous to suggest those patients would also have been pro-remain and their attitude would also be similar to the Losers in this thread.
I think you can work that one out for yourself.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
No. Zero tariff would be best in both directions. Like we have now. It’s best for everyone. If tariffs are applied, I would like to see 50% on everything coming out of France & Germany or from companies they control. Make their products totally non viable in the U.K.

Also make laws that our utilities are non profit.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and 50Hertz

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's a good question. And on the bare face of it the answer seems to be an obvious 'no'. But. You see there's a
'but' in there.

If the EU want to punish their consumers by putting those tariffs on - then that may well be what happens. Our exporters to the EU will indeed suffer. Yes. True. So they will either have to somehow find other places to sell to - or cut costs to deal with the tariffs or go bust.

Mind you the already approx 15% reduction in the value of the pound must have offset many of those tariff costs I would think - plus with a 'crash' out it could go lower - so things may not be as bad as some try to make out.

On balance. I still say yes. Free trade. Let the EU have this conversation with their electorate. Put the ball back in their court.
You really have a profound knowledge of economics then?. Yes as the UK pound slides, its foreign debt increases, and those Bananas .. straight or curved become more expensive. Now those nice cars manufactured in the UK become cheaper to sell abroad, but the the steel to make them becomes more expensive. And you then need to employ lots more people in all the mundane things like standards,which were taken care of for you as part of 28 .

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The world never ceases to amaze me. Daughter been saying they often get stones and eggs thrown at fire engines when they are on calls. I just dont understand it.
Fire crew turn up to save lives often putting themselves at risk and get abuse from some. What on earth is that about???
Utter madness isn't it Zlatan.

I can only think that it's because the fire brigade are so often in close collaboration with the police and also wear uniforms, that the hatred of the police that many have gets them included.

And it's not just the brigade, many ambulance staff have received the same maltreatment.

Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You`ve answered your own question.
This was a south central London hospital as you state, it then wouldn`t be to outrageous to suggest those patients would also have been pro-remain and their attitude would also be similar to the Losers in this thread.
I think you can work that one out for yourself.
Your delusions get ever more weird.

Remainers wanted to keep things as they were. That included the majority (54%) of Londoners not being white British born and 3.5 million mainland EU citizens living here.

Clearly it would be the Leavers who voted for greater immigration control who resented the immigrants, not the Remainers who voted for no change, keeping the immigrants and carrying on accepting them.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
are you talking about the 15% that the value of the Pound has already lost since the referendum or do you expect the Pound to lose another 15% if we brexit without a deal?
the current price has already got the first 15% factored in.
Brexit without a deal is going to hit our producers so hard that only the fitted will survive.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
are you talking about the 15% that the value of the Pound has already lost since the referendum or do you expect the Pound to lose another 15% if we brexit without a deal?
the current price has already got the first 15% factored in.
Brexit without a deal is going to hit our producers so hard that only the fitted will survive.
I was talking about the 15% already. And then another god knows what for a while till people start to realise being out of the EU is actually going to be just fine. Either way they should help exporters (not withstanding Danny's belief that higher costs of raw materials will count against this - fact is - who f**g knows - who's done the actual calculations? Danny? I doubt it he won't even read an IMF article in case it changes his mind).

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
You really have a profound knowledge of economics then?. Yes as the UK pound slides, its foreign debt increases, and those Bananas .. straight or curved become more expensive. Now those nice cars manufactured in the UK become cheaper to sell abroad, but the the steel to make them becomes more expensive. And you then need to employ lots more people in all the mundane things like standards,which were taken care of for you as part of 28 .
Whatever Danny. Go read that IMF article and get back to me - then we can figure out who's got the best knowledge on economics. Right now guess what? I'm voting it's me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I was talking about the 15% already. And then another god knows what for a while till people start to realise being out of the EU is actually going to be just fine. Either way they should help exporters (not withstanding Danny's belief that higher costs of raw materials will count against this - fact is - who f**g knows - who's done the actual calculations? Danny? I doubt it he won't even read an IMF article in case it changes his mind).
brexit without a deal will make our exports less competitive and put most of our exporters at a serious disadvantage.
I can't see any responsible government is going for it - except that nobody knows what TM is going to do after losing a simple motion by 45 this evening.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
50H is digging himself a massive hole here. Trouble is - he's got a narrative running in his head that says its down to the kids not working hard enough rather than house prices going through the roof over the last few decades (and digging up the facts about that is really not very hard).

But he does not like those facts - so he will do almost anything to keep his narrative alive and damm the facts.

A bit like Danny not wanting to read what the IMF have to say about a negative balance of payments.

Or OG insisting he's right about absolutely everything.

We all do it.

Best thing is to admit you f***d up and start over.

What will 50H do? My bet is he will double down for a while - then maybe go do his homework and then come back and not mention it again.

Any takers?
I only insist I'm right when the is a high probability that I am, I don't try to sell sham promises.
This line applies very well to you, not me
"But he does not like those facts - so he will do almost anything to keep his narrative alive and damm the facts."
It's the only way to "Make America Great again" (at our expense)

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I only insist I'm right when the is a high probability that I am, I don't try to sell sham promises.
This line applies very well to you, not me
"But he does not like those facts - so he will do almost anything to keep his narrative alive and damm the facts."
It's the only way to "Make America Great again" (at our expense)

Please keep on topic.

Thanks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
nobody knows what TM is going to do
I believe her tactic is to stick it out to hold a gun to the heads of MPs.

Arriving at the last minute with no more time left, stating the EU will make no changes and there's no grounds for delaying article 50, she'll say it's now either no deal or her deal.

She knows the house is terrified of no deal and will bank on MPs caving in in enough numbers to get her deal through. She only needs a majority of one on that vote, so it's not as risky a strategy as it might seem at this moment.

Advertisers