Brexit, for once some facts.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I do believe you are suggesting that the vicar's daughter is above such shocking practices.

Know them by the company they keep!

Tom
I take it, the phrase "know your enemy' goes completely over your head? Not that I'm suggesting Israel is our enemy.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Do you really think that the many countries in the Far East now manufacturing goods and exporting them to us would agree with you? I don't think anyone would claim that for us it doesn't bring some issues but 'Free Trade' is essentially the right way to go and for us, Brexit is the way to deal with it.
So that justifies using slave labour in your eyes, so be it, a true Conservative, take advantage of people where you can, even in other countries, then try to pass it off "As in the days of Empire" we are doing it for their benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I take it, the phrase "know your enemy' goes completely over your head? Not that I'm suggesting Israel is our enemy.
And accept the policies they give you too?
Tell me, what is a Society named "Friends of Israel" doing actually? organising Charity events?
Are there societies like "Friends of Iran" to Balance the bias, or is being Friends with Saudi Arabia (Nice little arms sales earner) the necessary Balance?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Do you really think that the many countries in the Far East now manufacturing goods and exporting them to us would agree with you? I don't think anyone would claim that for us it doesn't bring some issues but 'Free Trade' is essentially the right way to go and for us, Brexit is the way to deal with it.
They wouldn't dare, would they? ever wondered why?

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
And accept the policies they give you too?
Tell me, what is a Society named "Friends of Israel" doing actually? organising Charity events?
Are there societies like "Friends of Iran" to Balance the bias, or is being Friends with Saudi Arabia (Nice little arms sales earner) the necessary Balance?
Apart from the obvious links to the happenings of WW2 and the need for all politicians to at least be seen as supportive of Israel, I'm not aware if any clandestine reasons, are you?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Flecc
Back to our discussion re investment post war / Atlee etc.
What everyone fails to remember around this time was the Marshal plan. The UK, Germany and France benefitted to the tune ( in modern terms ) of around 140 billion pounds. The biggest recipient was us ( UK) we got 26% in 1948...in theory to rebuild industry. NHS started 1948. ( Coincidence ? Perhaps)
The French wasted every penny and more trying to regain its Colonies ( Vietnam) and set in motion a war that would last over 10,000 days. ( and a book by same name, which is brilliant)
The Germans rebuilt their industries. Without the Marshall money would the labour government be remembered as it is ? I doubt it.
Now, I,m not suggesting the NHS should not have been started but we should have had more foresight and got our industries modernised. We didn't and by the 50s, 60,s and 70,s were were hopelessly outdated in all our industries.( and more so in car one than any other)
Technically we still led the world. Every ( nearly) modern aspect of modern engines originated at either RR or Ricardo. Production wise we were still in the 40s in the 1960's. Yes, partly management, partly unions but chiefly under investment started in no small measure by Atlee and his government.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
So that justifies using slave labour in your eyes, so be it, a true Conservative, take advantage of people where you can, even in other countries, then try to pass it off "As in the days of Empire" we are doing it for their benefit.
It's not only our human rights that get subcontracted to Vietnam, also our environmental impact, happily (and I half apologise for black humour) its not only children in chittatong WHO die from lead poisoning as they break up the ships that bringing us goods; we reimport food, and also poison ourselves. I wonder how many more financial and other crises it will take before the self indulged here start thinking about something a bit more than consumption.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apart from the obvious links to the happenings of WW2 and the need for all politicians to at least be seen as supportive of Israel, I'm not aware if any clandestine reasons, are you?
In supporting Israel, de facto approval of the holocaust being conducted against the Palestinian people by the Israeli Jews is granted by those supporters and friends of Israel.

As for your lack of awareness - well you wouldn't be aware, would you?

There's a clue in the word 'clandestine'!

clandestine | klanˈdɛstɪn, ˈklandɛstɪn |

adjective

kept secret or done secretively, especially because illicit: she deserved better than these clandestine meetings.

Tom

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
In supporting Israel, de facto approval of the holocaust being conducted against the Palestinian people by the Israeli Jews is granted by those supporters and friends of Israel.

As for your lack of awareness - well you wouldn't be aware, would you?

There's a clue in the word 'clandestine'!

clandestine | klanˈdɛstɪn, ˈklandɛstɪn |

adjective

kept secret or done secretively, especially because illicit: she deserved better than these clandestine meetings.

Tom
Oh dear, an English lesson from Old Tom. Correct, I wasn't there, yet you and OG seem to know that something sinister was (going on). Please tell me exactly what went on at that dinner. You can't, can you - it's all conspiracy theory rubbish.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Lord Kerr has made an extremely important speech today about the UK's position in regard to A50 and the whole process of 'Brexit' and confirms that May and her party are wrong in claiming the matter is irreversible.

Curiously, the major tory propaganda organs are keeping his speech low-key, obviously not worthy of headlines in their opinion, but although finding a video link of his speech is proving rather difficult at the moment, there is a brief extract on film at this location:

brexit-theresa-may-article-50-reversal-misleading-public-author-lord-kerr-claims-a8046676.html

Tom

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Without the Marshall money would the labour government be remembered as it is ? I doubt it.
It didn't cost much to set up the NHS, the costs followed as it was used over time, gradually growing and now hurting of course.

we should have had more foresight and got our industries modernised. We didn't and by the 50s, 60,s and 70,s were were hopelessly outdated in all our industries.( and more so in car one than any other)
Actually even more so in the lorry and motor cycle industries, they did almost nothing and in the case of motorcycles what they did do in the 1950s was terribly misjudged.

Technically we still led the world. Every ( nearly) modern aspect of modern engines originated at either RR or Ricardo. Production wise we were still in the 40s in the 1960's. Yes, partly management, partly unions but chiefly under investment started in no small measure by Atlee and his government.
There was investment where there it was deserved or perceived to be deserved, and it could be seen in the designs. In answer to you on your claim of there being no new engines post war I only gave a couple of examples, the Standard 2 litre and the Villiers for the Imp. But there were other new designs and adaptations as well and all resulted from investment.

For example the Daimler Dart engine that Edward Turner designed, the Rolls Royce B series engines in 4, 6 and 8 cylinder forms, all the Jaguar engines from the 3442cc 6 cylinder on, the Aston Martin DB 6 cylinder, the twin cam engine in the MGA, all in the 1950s. Then later the Ford crossflow engines and the FD and FE engines in the Vauxhall Victors jointly designed with Opel.

Far from the "no new engines" that you claimed and all from investment which also enabled the new cars those engines were often in.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Actually even more so in the lorry and motor cycle industries, they did almost nothing and in the case of motorcycles what they did do in the 1950s was terribly misjudged.
When I was a kid there were still plenty of BSAs, Triumphs and Nortons about, my neighbour had a BSA Bantam that I drooled over. Then the Honda and Kawasaki four strokes arrived on the scene and they vanished from general use only to be used by the bike gangs.

For example the Daimler Dart engine that Edward Turner designed,
Now that is what I call a motor! I had a mate who had a Daimler Dart, what a car!

Advertisers