Bosch Classic about to die?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oh my light is so very dim! Of course bosch would use non std bearings. It's no accident that this makes them hard to repair forcing us to do a motor exchange. Std bearings would make this job easy and cheap!
Clever Mr bosch!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh bosch are a pita as not even dealers can open the motor as will void any warranty and will not supply any motor parts to dealers or the public.

tho ktm should have sorted him a bearing long ago as its a bearing and can be made to size but might cost a bit more.

even if it was 50 quid to make 1 lot cheaper than 600 euro for a new motor and there is only 1 place that sells those as not 1 uk dealer can sell 1 or have any stock.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
No because the crank arms wouldn't then be a good fit on 20mm axle. You could make a bush to hold one of the smaller ISIS bearings though. and it is possible to buy that special NBR bearing if you're really stuck, at the time I wasn't convinced it was the right size at 21.4 mm. but it's probably okay.
I'll worry when I wear the next drive bearing out in 4000 miles or so. Perhaps there'll be a easy supply by then.
Was hoping that the bearing face of the shaft was larger than the O/D of the splines. Obviously not.
Let's see if Soundwave delivers.

Reactions: Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Time 1min 12 sec remove that first ring. Measure once again.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I saw that. I'm not pulling my motor to bits again just yet, I can measure the shaft if I pull the crank arm off. I just need someone to explain how you read an old vernier, like an idiots guide please?

Does that 21.3 mm you mentioned exist then?

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it can be made that size just like you only found 20mm tho guess that normal sizes.

i also sent a email to another place to see what they say and will post if i get a reply back.

a new 1 is only 10 quid http://www.appliancespareswarehouse.co.uk/6-inch-digital-vernier-caliper-150mm-mis400.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwwpm3BRDuh5awn4qJpLwBEiQAATTAQcvTo2UM4VI-BZY9pRSRWMAAvIMWkAK-fBhh4UX--NEaAj8M8P8HAQ

Because 21,3mm does not exist. In german we say: Wer mißt mißt Mist. It might be that 20x42x12. Bearing 6004RS. He shold disasemle it first and measure it exaclty.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id just get a digi 1 as then will be in mm as thats what they are on all the bearing sites i have looked at.

i bet its 20mm 42mm 12mm and cost 5 quid ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats the 1 :) lets hope he can just order 1

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they are nbr bearings

you can also pay with pay pal with the above china link, just you need an account first ;)

Reactions: Artstu

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
LBS just got back to me..
They say Bosch are denying any responsibility re the popping noise recall. They say it doesnt exist, and as bike is out of warranty remove casing and grease the bearing surface and for anything else its tough sh*t buy a new motor!! Mechanic says he has been trying to get in touch with the UK Bosch rep but he is not returning his calls...
He also says the web link about the recall is nothing to do with Bosch..
Confused to say the least!!