For Sale Bargains

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I put a cheeky bid in for that frame before the auction ended. Didn't hear anything back, just as well really, I didn't really fancy a 17 inch frame anyway (although there's always a way to make it work).
I see 0 bids. What size are you looking for?

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I see 0 bids. What size are you looking for?
No, I didn't bid, he was accepting offers, so I put in an offer (like saneagle did on the last auction). He did not reply. But then again, I put my offer in not long before the auction ended, so maybe he did not have time to reply, dunno.

Anyway...I prefer a large frame, 19 or 20 inches, this one was 17". But at the right price (like less than 40 quid) I could probably make a 17" frame work, worth a shot.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
There was a thread running about a year ago about that, where somebody posted a video made by a service dealer.. The one in the video was for a bike like that Bergamont, and the bill was about £600. He mentioned that £1000 was typical for an annual service on a bike like that, which had been used for off-road riding.
Performance bearings is the company you're referring to.
Service for a Bosch performance CX gen 4 is £362

Of course such a service isnt a yearly thing as it appears is being implied. Most motors will happily run for years without needing a service. The motors are sealed for life and if kept dry will do in excess of 50,000 miles (80,000km) without problem.

The rest of the bike in say a yearly service is probably going to be in the region of £100, maybe £150
Yearly if you are diligent on servicing. probably find once every 2 or 3 years is fine.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
An entire BBS01B kit without battery is about £245: you could buy a brand new motor kit every year, swap over the displays and sell the old motor kit as new with zero on the display's odo for about £245 = £0?

The rest of the bike in say a yearly service is probably going to be in the region of £100, maybe £150
An entire new hub motor costs that or less: you could buy a new hub motor every year and sell the old one on ebay for about £100 = £50 cost per year.

All to become illegal of course.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Performance bearings is the company you're referring to.

Of course such a service isnt a yearly thing as it appears is being implied. Most motors will happily run for years without needing a service. The motors are sealed for life and if kept dry will do in excess of 50,000 miles (80,000km) without problem.

Yearly if you are diligent on servicing. probably find once every 2 or 3 years is fine.
No it wasn't an engine rebuild, it was a basic service of gears and brakes. It needed a shock service (recommended every 50 hrs!!!!). Fork seal replacement (every 50 hrs!!!), new dropper cable (probably unnecessary), new gear cables (probably unnecessary), £300 labour = £406.91 +VAT. This was the guy. I think this was that video, but not sure because in the one I previously saw, I'm sure the cost was £600 and he said £1000 was more typical, and I'm sure I remember him bleeding the brakes:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
No it wasn't an engine rebuild, it was a basic service of gears and brakes. It needed a shock service (recommended every 50 hrs!!!!). Fork seal replacement (every 50 hrs!!!), new dropper cable (probably unnecessary), new gear cables (probably unnecessary), £300 labour = £406.91 +VAT. This was the guy. I think this was that video, but not sure because in the one I previously saw, I'm sure the cost was £600 and he said £1000 was more typical, and I'm sure I remember him bleeding the brakes:
for fox its 125 hours, which can equate to between 1500 and 2000 miles of actual use
For rockshox its 100 hours.
Though these are just 'recommended' and in reality its a fair bit longer.

This is the price list of a cytech qualified professional mechanic I've known for 30 years(he was the official Shimano team mechanic at the 2020 Olympics, so not just some bloke off you tube)
I hardly use this chap, because he's stowed out pretty much all year, though he does lend me his tools like bearing presses.

Another professional mechanic i've used in the past to service forks, though there it was more a problem solving job, as i got completely flummoxed - It was a non functioning but new damping cartridge that just wasnt giving me full damping so always best to have a pro run a practiced eye over it and cost me 40 quid, and a choice pastry.
His price list.

Reactions: Woosh