Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Out of stock again now.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's nice to have some company in the search for 20" rims wide enough to accommodate wide tyres to cope with our worsening pothole infested road situation, but I do wonder how much of a bargain these folders are if folk are ripping out and replacing everything electrical except the motor and battery. If you convert a cheap <£100 folder, you get to choose your motor and battery etc, or the intrepid can make their own superior battery packs for an overall better bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Cannot believe how useless Argos website is, you should be able to click a button and see locations that actually has stock...ridiculous...
I had a lot of trouble ordering my first one, so I went to the shop, where a lovely lady had it on order in minutes and delivered in a couple of days. It didn't come from the shop. It was in a warehouse somewhere.

Reactions: Ghost1951

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
It's nice to have some company in the search for 20" rims wide enough to accommodate wide tyres to cope with our worsening pothole infested road situation, but I do wonder how much of a bargain these folders are if folk are ripping out and replacing everything electrical except the motor and battery. If you convert a cheap <£100 folder, you get to choose your motor and battery etc, or the intrepid can make their own superior battery packs for an overall better bike.
I hand-built some wheels for my folder by fitting a carbon fork with 100 mm spacing and using MTB hubs along with wide rims and appropriate spokes (Halo BMX); I went 32 spokes on the front and 36 on the rear. This was to fit 10-speed instead of 7-speed and also use disk brakes.

SJS - 20 inch rims (406)

Alternately you could dismantle your existing wheels and re-build with new - wider - rims and new spokes.

Reactions: guerney

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I've noticed a new feature on Argos, if it says Out of Stock and you click 'Change Store' and if there are none near you, you can click on 'Happy to Travel' and it will tell you where the nearest one is (if they have any), in my case that was Minehead.

24v, no gears and not folding but still...£180! OK for those that live in a flat area (like the Netherlands!)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Despite not wanting one of the 36V folders, I asked a customer service agent via chat and he said:

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I've noticed a new feature on Argos, if it says Out of Stock and you click 'Change Store' and if there are none near you, you can click on 'Happy to Travel' and it will tell you where the nearest one is (if they have any), in my case that was Minehead.

24v, no gears and not folding but still...£180! OK for those that live in a flat area (like the Netherlands!)

You're right, that feature wan't there even last week I don't think.

My closest one is in Wick, a mere 271miles and 5 1/2hr trip one way...

Reactions: Waspy

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
That's incredible. First it gets shipped from China to the UK, then it gets taken by lorry from Argos warehouse (somewhere like Basingstoke or whatever) to Wick. Then the lorry has to make the return journey. So now say you were desperate for that bike and drove 271 miles to Wick and back. How many miles has this bike travelled before it has even been sat on? And how is anyone making a profit on a £180 electric bike?

Last edited:
Reactions: portals

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
They have new stock now. This one is available tomorrow at my location.

Much more expensive at £599, but it has a larger battery at 9.6Ahr with a projected range of 30 miles.

I found the £245 e-move folder to easily achieve more than the mileage they predicted.

As it happens the old e-move folder is available still boxed on ebay! But not at the astonishing price I paid. It looks as if someone has bought at least one to sell on at a higher price. This seller is asking £429. To be honest - I like mine so much I would not feel too badly about paying that.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I hand-built some wheels for my folder by fitting a carbon fork with 100 mm spacing and using MTB hubs along with wide rims and appropriate spokes (Halo BMX); I went 32 spokes on the front and 36 on the rear. This was to fit 10-speed instead of 7-speed and also use disk brakes.

SJS - 20 inch rims (406)

Alternately you could dismantle your existing wheels and re-build with new - wider - rims and new spokes.
Which bike do you have? My bike gets through rims fast, I should have included the word "Cheaply" - last time around, it was cheaper to buy an entire new wheel from BankruptBikeParts than one new rim from SJS + hub + spokes etc. A front fork with 100mm spacing would make things much easier for my Dahon Helios 20" wheeled folding bike and increase options, particularly if it had suspension and was disc brake capable - here's an old version of the Dahon Jetstream with a Suntour suspension fork, without disc brakes... so I know it's possible with at least one Dahon. Rockshox are too much to ask for it seems. My Helios would be a little raised at the front if I managed to shoehorn one in lol. It'd also be a little wider folded.

"21st century advanced radial suspension":

Last edited:

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Which bike do you have?
DAWES Jack. Note that this bicycle uses mostly standard bicycle parts - such as an A-Headset fork-steerer-tube and the handle-post uses an A-Headset clamp. (Unlike Dahon threaded fork-steerer.) The supplied chromoly fork had 74mm spacing.

I bought an A-Headset carbon fork with 100mm spacing on ali-express along with a fork-steerer-compression-plug from amazon.

If looking to save money on the wheels I'd suggest cannibalising some existing mtb wheels for the hubs, take a hit with new rims and spokes.

Assuming you are converting into EPAC - the 100mm forks give greater front-hub options. My folder has 135mm rear spacing so giving decent rear-hub option.

Let me know if you want links for any of the above items.

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One reason to ditch rims for HDB , no further wheel builds required.
Much simpler to replace pads, rotors take years to get too thin unless one is very heavy on braking .

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One reason to ditch rims for HDB , no further wheel builds required.
Much simpler to replace pads, rotors take years to get too thin unless one is very heavy on braking .
If I can find a compatible threaded suspension fork with disc brake mounts, that'd be a way to reduce new rims purchases, and install one hydraulic disc brake to my Helios. The one I have found so far has no disc brake mounting point. Looks similar to this but older:

I'll make enquiries with the Dahon expert dudes CH White and his Son re: Dahon's own new suspension forks - this one reportedly doesn't last very long, but later versions have disc brake mounts. Rare and not cheap.

This is patented but not available. No disc brake.

https://www.cyclemotion.co.uk/dahon/Dahon_2004/uniflex.htm

DAWES Jack. Note that this bicycle uses mostly standard bicycle parts - such as an A-Headset fork-steerer-tube and the handle-post uses an A-Headset clamp. (Unlike Dahon threaded fork-steerer.) The supplied chromoly fork had 74mm spacing.

I bought an A-Headset carbon fork with 100mm spacing on ali-express along with a fork-steerer-compression-plug from amazon.

If looking to save money on the wheels I'd suggest cannibalising some existing mtb wheels for the hubs, take a hit with new rims and spokes.

Assuming you are converting into EPAC - the 100mm forks give greater front-hub options. My folder has 135mm rear spacing so giving decent rear-hub option.

Let me know if you want links for any of the above items.
Thanks for the info regarding the Dawes Jack - seems fitting a front suspension fork with lockout on that is viable? Perhaps the Argos folder too? I found a threaded sprung suspension fork which looks compatible with my Dahon, but I'd try swapping out my 1.75" Schwalbe Marathan Plus for Big Ben Plus 2.125" wide tyres first, if necessary.

My enquiry was related to saving rims - if I ever got around to a hub motor conversion, I'd prefer a steel frame. Does Dawes only make aluminium alloy framed bikes now? I'd have to find an old Kingpin for steel. Could I fit a Suntour suspension fork and a front disc brake to this?

I'm not after a bike to convert to a hub motor system at the moment. I'm deliriously happy with my hill devouring 20" wheeled Bafang Dahon Helios P8 BBS01B mid-drive folding bike conversion, and don't need another ebike. But rim purchase reduction would be nice.

Last edited:

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
If I can find a compatible threaded suspension fork with disc brake mounts, that'd be a way to reduce new rims purchases, and install one hydraulic disc brake to my Helios. The one I have found so far has no disc brake mounting point...

...fitting a front suspension fork with lockout on that is viable? Perhaps the Argos folder too? I found a threaded sprung suspension fork which looks compatible with my Dahon, but I'd try swapping out my 1.75" Schwalbe Marathan Plus for Big Ben Plus 2.125" wide tyres first, if necessary.
Are you absolutely convinced that a front suspension fork is really required on a folder?

Surely fitting a 50mm wide tyre - such as Swallow Big Apple or Swallow Big Ben - and perhaps running tubeless - would provide necessary shock absorption?

Also - a carbon fork would remove some of the road-buzz - a lot of which is deadened already by the handle-post length.

PS. the carbon fork saved about 1lb (circa 500 gr) of weight - which then got eaten up by the steerer plug and disk calipers/rotor.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If I can find a compatible threaded suspension fork with disc brake mounts, that'd be a way to reduce new rims purchases, and install one hydraulic disc brake to my Helios. The one I have found so far has no disc brake mounting point. Looks similar to this but older:

I'll make enquiries with the Dahon expert dudes CH White and his Son re: Dahon's own new suspension forks - this one reportedly doesn't last very long, but later versions have disc brake mounts. Rare and not cheap.

This is patented but not available. No disc brake.

https://www.cyclemotion.co.uk/dahon/Dahon_2004/uniflex.htm

Thanks for the info regarding the Dawes Jack - seems fitting a front suspension fork with lockout on that is viable? Perhaps the Argos folder too? I found a threaded sprung suspension fork which looks compatible with my Dahon, but I'd try swapping out my 1.75" Schwalbe Marathan Plus for Big Ben Plus 2.125" wide tyres first, if necessary.

My enquiry was related to saving rims - if I ever got around to a hub motor conversion, I'd prefer a steel frame. Does Dawes only make aluminium alloy framed bikes now? I'd have to find an old Kingpin for steel. Could I fit a Suntour suspension fork and a front disc brake to this?

I'm not after a bike to convert to a hub motor system at the moment. I'm deliriously happy with my hill devouring 20" wheeled Bafang Dahon Helios P8 BBS01B mid-drive folding bike conversion, and don't need another ebike. But rim purchase reduction would be nice.

Can you and anybody else please keep to the thread topic, which supposed to be specifically about the Argos bike. If you want a thread that's general ebike improvements, please start your own.

I made good progress today after getting out of hospital yesterday pretty well cured. I will continue the thread shortly, but I've encountered a bit of a setback that I'll explain in another thread.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are you absolutely convinced that a front suspension fork is really required on a folder?
No, but this recently encountered sneaky nasty deep pothole and the increasing numbers like it have me itching to consider wider tyres first, then suspension with disc brakes being an added bonus option - aforementioned pothole is featured at the end of the video above, cued below.

...loosened two rear wheel spokes, knocked rear mudguard loose, moved speed sensor on chainstay, bumped front wheel reflectors out of position, generally got me annoyed... but as I said, I'd try wider tyres first, which was my initial plan, if it wasn't for the existing stock mudguards which likely don't provide enough clearance.

Also - a carbon fork would remove some of the road-buzz - a lot of which is deadened already by the handle-post length.
Bafang warn against carbon forks with mid-drives somewhere. With the state of our roads, I bet they'd shatter on my bike even at only 25kph, loathe to try.

running tubeless
Are 20" rims suitable for tubeless? If so, which? Mind you, frequent rim replacement probably makes running tubeless more of a pain. Inner tubes last with Marathon Plus.

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Can you and anybody else please keep to the thread topic, which supposed to be specifically about the Argos bike. If you want a thread that's general ebike improvements, please start your own.

I made good progress today after getting out of hospital yesterday pretty well cured. I will continue the thread shortly, but I've encountered a bit of a setback that I'll explain in another thread.
An ill-tempered response - excused - perhaps - by your recent hospital visit.

What sort of headset/handlepost does your Argos folder have? Is it threaded - like a Dahon, or A-headset style like my Dawes?

If an A-headset style then upgrading it with a standard-steerered 100mm fork would be possible (keeping handle-post).

In the meantime take pride that your post has encouraged others to participate; and, get well soonest