Any Recommendations for Commuter Bike?

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010
Hi guys, I'm new here and also new to electric bikes so I'm looking for some advice.

My situation is that I'm looking to use my commute to my company's new (and closer to my home) office to improve my fitness. The journey is roughly 8.5 miles each way but does involve some long hill climbs. Also I have to arrive at work not in need of a shower, hence, I'm looking at the electric option so that I get a cycle but I'm not absolutely shattered when I get to the office.

Ideally I would like a bike that in appearance and experience rides like a road bike and is not completely ugly! I intend to be peddling most of the way in combination with the motor.

Obviously the bike has to have enough power to climb the long hills as this would be the killer for me.

My realistic budget is probably around the £1500 mark, but I could stretch upwards of this if need be.

I would really like some input on this as it's a completely new field for me and also I live up in aberdeen so getting a test drive of any electric bike is probably almost impossible before purchase!

I look forward to your advice!

Cheers,

Hamish

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
"experience rides like a road bike and is not completely ugly"

Welcome Hamish

You are going to get a lot of replies once Easter is over but I throw a spanner in the works.

I have a number of E bikes but the one that handles like a decent MTB and looks like a MTB with plenty of power is my 20 year old Evans MTB that I fitted an Alien Front wheel conversion to. Little or no resistance from the hub when turned off (although you do have the extra weight of the battery and the hub motor)
Do you have an existing decent mtb that you like? if so then you could do a lot worse than converting it.(around £450 for the kit) and they come from bonnie Scotland. If you want to do a lot of the pedaling without help then you just don`t fit the pedal assist mech (you could esily fit it later if you wanted) and when you need help you just use the hand throttle.

If you don`t already have a decent bike then that changes things somewhat because to fit the kit you would obviously have to buy a bike( you could get a reasonable MTB for around £300) so it would still be a big saving.

One thing I`ve found is that the Alien front Barfang motor has plenty of power and the alien 36V battery is my best battery by far. I reckon when the weather gets into swing the alien Battery on pedal assist should easily give you 30miles(maybe more not sure) but on throttle only for hills you will exceed that. You might get away with two days before charging depending on the hills you intend to use the throttle on but you will definitely get there and back on the one charge (providing you aren`t cycling up something like Ben Nevis.)

So! that`s one option that will leave you with some cash for Malt:D

Dave

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks very much Dave,

I read some threads here about the Alien - I have a Kona Firemountain which is a fairly good bike but I think the wheels are the wrong size?? The only issue is I use this bike for offroading so I have chunky tyres which are totally horrible for road use and zap my energy away!

I could in theory change the wheels over when I want to go offroading but the hassle of that would probablr results in a lack of motivation to nip out to the hills!

I started out wanting a scooter/moped as our car is a gas guzzling estate and not ideal for city commute, then I thought why not cycle and because I'd already considered the scooter, spending around 1.5k doesn't seem too outrageous even if it is a few bottles of the finest 40 year old single malt. Overtime I will hopefully be more fit and save a few bob off my fuel bill.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The only electric bike I have ridden that is pretty similar to a normal bicycle is a Cytronex. You can ride it with or without power, it looks good and is very lightweight. You would probably have to charge it at work but 8.5 miles is well within the range of the battery. Try before you buy otherwise the panasonics are good. Plenty of advice on the forum if you want to look through prevoius threads.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks very much Dave,

I read some threads here about the Alien - I have a Kona Firemountain which is a fairly good bike but I think the wheels are the wrong size?? The only issue is I use this bike for offroading so I have chunky tyres which are totally horrible for road use and zap my energy away!

I could in theory change the wheels over when I want to go offroading but the hassle of that would probablr results in a lack of motivation to nip out to the hills!

I started out wanting a scooter/moped as our car is a gas guzzling estate and not ideal for city commute, then I thought why not cycle and because I'd already considered the scooter, spending around 1.5k doesn't seem too outrageous even if it is a few bottles of the finest 40 year old single malt. Overtime I will hopefully be more fit and save a few bob off my fuel bill.
All understood. I`m not sure about how different bikes fair as far as using them without any power other than the alien kit which is fine and just like riding the bike with a touch extra weight.You`ll have to ask others but I think if I was sitting on £1500 aside for a bike I`d have to try out a Wisper (not the top of the range carbon one) but the bike around your price tag, if it freewheels ok then with it`s multiple power settings(inc an off road setting which can take you up near 20mph on throttle) it seems to me to be a bike for all seasons and the back up (although I obviously haven`t used it) seems to be the best of the bunch.

Keep us informed as to what you decide.

Dave

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010
Guys, Thanks for advice so far.

After much reading of threads today I have two bikes which are of significant interest

Wisper 905 SE City S
Cytronex Synapse or Urban 500

From what I've read the Wisper is more active in providing assistance but this may results in me putting in little effort although all reviews seem very positive.

The cytronex looks lovely and again, great reviews, it seems that a fair amount of effort is required but hopefully a sweat-free commute would be possible. I would love a single speed bike but from what Mark says on the threads it would not be suitable for a significant hill climbing.

I haven't done much research into the pro-connect and need to have a read-up on that, but both these bikes look good so it could well be a head-to-head.

The only downside is no dealers close by so how do I test-ride!

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010

I've just input my route into the google profile tool to show how hilly it is, basically I won't be on the flat at all! This is the journey to work so you can see my homeward journey is mostly uphill, but I'm allowed to sweat a little on my way home!

Maybe the wisper will be better for this amount off hill work?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most of it isn't extreme in gradient terms enceladus, that long climb of about 450' in two miles being a 1 in 23 or
4% average, the couple of much steeper bits being very short. Either the Cytronex or the Wisper will handle
those gradients easily, but the Cytronex would need charging at each end as Harry has said, while the Wisper
will probably do two round trips on a charge.

The Cytronex is the most free running and most like a normal bike to pedal without power, but since you have
effectively no flat, that isn't at all important. You'll just be flying downhill most of one way, climbing nearly
all the other way, so if it were me I'd choose the Wisper for its greater power and the convenience of it's lesser
need for charging.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Hamish,

I was in a similar situation to you last year. There was a thread posted by David about Wisper bikes setting up in Ellon, Aberdeenshire so perhaps you are closer to a Wisper dealer than you realise?

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/3869-boosting-top-speed-wisper-905se-sport-2.html?highlight=Ellon

There was also another business that did custom conversions to bikes in Cove, Aberdeen. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/3942-pushbike-custom-conversion.html

Halfords has also been metioned on Pedelec Forums as recently stocking an electric bike. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5658-halfords-now-stocking-electric-bikes.html?highlight=Halfords+e-bike

I think that Wisper at Ellon is your best bet if you wish to try before you buy.;)

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Give me a few weeks I'll give you a decent comparison. I’ve had a Cytronex Urban 500 for a few months and collect a Wisper on Wednesday.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I'd also say that the Powabyke X-bykes are worth considering (as long as you can charge up at work). I've just finished my first year of a 10 mile each way commute (including a 400ft hill I have to climb in both directions) with no flat bits and some steep sections on one.

If you contact them via thier website http://www.powabyke.com they should be able to point you in the direction of a local dealer for a test ride.

Elcycoltd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2009
Lothian

MiniWorldRecord

Just Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Does anyone have experience of the life of the Cytronex battery? no-hills.com states the life is 250 charges. I have a similar commute to enceladus (a bit flatter but longer), and don't like the idea of buying a new battery every 125 commuting days!

(I worked out the payback period to be 17.3 years!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It depends on how much range you need MiniWorldRecord. NiMh batteries are usually good for about 400 charges,
even more sometimes, but the capacity declines and the range with it. Mark's conservative 250 charges will be
with reference to maintaining most of the original range.

I've used good quality NiMh on other makes to 400 charges, but with range down then from 20 miles originally
to only 8 miles.

Technically speaking, NiMh batteries actually very slightly increase capacity for the first 100 charges
approximately, but then start declining. Therefore range is fairly constant for about 200 charges.

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010
Give me a few weeks I'll give you a decent comparison. I’ve had a Cytronex Urban 500 for a few months and collect a Wisper on Wednesday.
Hi Stumpi, I'll be interested to hear any news on the new bike! Can I ask why you are getting the Wisper? After all the responses I'm seriously leaning towards the wisper too, but the cytronex bikes are so elegant, but it seems the wisper is the more practical solution for me.

Hamish

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010
Hamish,

I was in a similar situation to you last year. There was a thread posted by David about Wisper bikes setting up in Ellon, Aberdeenshire so perhaps you are closer to a Wisper dealer than you realise?

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/3869-boosting-top-speed-wisper-905se-sport-2.html?highlight=Ellon

There was also another business that did custom conversions to bikes in Cove, Aberdeen. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/3942-pushbike-custom-conversion.html

Halfords has also been metioned on Pedelec Forums as recently stocking an electric bike. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5658-halfords-now-stocking-electric-bikes.html?highlight=Halfords+e-bike

I think that Wisper at Ellon is your best bet if you wish to try before you buy.;)
Thanks Dynamic, Ellon would be ideal - I've found details of an Ellon Cycles maybe that's the place, I'll give them a call tomorrow - thanks for the info!

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010
It depends on how much range you need MiniWorldRecord. NiMh batteries are usually good for about 400 charges,
even more sometimes, but the capacity declines and the range with it. Mark's conservative 250 charges will be
with reference to maintaining most of the original range.

I've used good quality NiMh on other makes to 400 charges, but with range down then from 20 miles originally
to only 8 miles.

Technically speaking, NiMh batteries actually very slightly increase capacity for the first 100 charges
approximately, but then start declining. Therefore range is fairly constant for about 200 charges.
Hi Flecc, Thanks for your valuable input. Would I be right in assuming I would get much more mileage out of a wisper in the case of the batteries? Miniworldrecord's post concerns me regarding the cytronex as I certainly don't want to be buying batteries twice a year.

I will research the pro-connect option too although I find those bikes not a aesthetically pleasing as the wisper designs - I can't help being a little style conscious.

Can I still get a good work-out on the wisper?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Flecc, Thanks for your valuable input. Would I be right in assuming I would get much more mileage out of a wisper in the case of the batteries? Miniworldrecord's post concerns me regarding the cytronex as I certainly don't want to be buying batteries twice a year.

Can I still get a good work-out on the wisper?
Yes, the Wisper li-polymer battery, made by Advanced, is said by Wisper to be good for 800 charges. You should
have no trouble getting at least 500 charges, and since each of those relates to four one ways, that's a total of
8 times the other ones stated battery life. However, at £500 each it isn't 8 times financial advantage, but
still much more economic as well as more convenient in use.

The work out question is a very personal one of course. You can regard the Cytronex as being just like any
other good road bike, so it isn't really necessary to try that one's cycling qualities. The Wisper does have two
switched power modes, 20% or full power, and the better cyclists make full use of that 20% setting. Therefore
I'd guess you could easily get a good work out, but please try one if at all possible to see how much it suits.
They have quite a few dealers who stock them.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I don't think that you should be concerned about the Cytronex battery. As far as I am aware the battery is guaranteed for 250 cycles or 1 year. As flecc says it will be good for many more cycles but your range will decrease. You have long way to go to get to under 8.5 miles. My battery still had a range in excess of 10 miles after 2500 miles and 18 months. In the end the cytronex battery is one of the cheapest on the market to replace but I think you will need to budget to to this every 2 years or £100 a year. I think you will be lucky to get 5 years out of the wisper battery.