Any Recommendations for Commuter Bike?

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
HarryB

The one thing the Bionx cant do that that Cytronex hub can is freewheel. You have to leave the power on at all times with the Bionx otherwise its like cycling through treacle as there is SIGNIFICANT cogging.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Interesting, when I test rode a bionx equipped trek it seemed fine but you are saying there is a lot of cogging? I understand there would be some resistance in regen mode but there is no physical freewheel so any resistance would have to come from the motor which I had thoght was reasonably free running. Any other bionx users experience this and how have does it compare with other motors - Aldby has ridden many ebikes including the Cytronex so he may be able to offer up a comparison.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
correct - i'm saying the cogging is significant. (barely) acceptable on flat ground maybe, but way to much if your make-it-home route involves undulating or hilly terrain. the cogging in the 500HS (illegal in the UK) seems a little less pronounced than that on my old 250watt system, and now also evident in the 350PL system.

Last edited:

enceladus

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2010
Did it unpowered!

Guys,

I cycled to work for the first time today! 39 minutes for 7.5 mile one way (route shorted than expected 8.5 miles due to offroad section), I was earlier than I've ever been as I'd allowed for an hour!

My kona was great for the offroad and ok for the road (bit rough with the knobblies on, but I'd pumped them up hard last night so pretty quick). I arrived not in need of medical attention with only a sweaty back due to rucksack.

I've not ruled out the ebike yet as conditions were perfect today and nice and cool. I'm just pumped that I got there in good time and really enjoyed the ride.

I'm thinking of the e-motion cross deluxe, gepida smirnium (spelling??) or similar which should handle the offroad sections without falling apart. It seems from the replies I've been getting the cytronex hub motor would not cope with the terrain.

My main priorities now for an ebike, offroad capability, lightweight, hillclimbing.

Thanks for all your invaluable advice so far!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm thinking of the e-motion cross deluxe, gepida smirnium (spelling??) or similar which should handle the offroad sections without falling apart. It seems from the replies I've been getting the cytronex hub motor would not cope with the terrain.
These centre motor bikes will certainly withstand the rough stuff easily, but make sure you try one first. They deliver their power only at lower cadences, so if you like to spin fast they might not suit, though they are free running and quite easy to cycle with power off, apart from the added e-bike weight of course. Once you're used to how to get the best from them, they do have a lot going for them, not least the reliability.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Guys,

I arrived not in need of medical attention with only a sweaty back due to rucksack.

I've not ruled out the ebike yet as conditions were perfect today and nice and cool. I'm just pumped that I got there in good time and really enjoyed the ride.

All sounds good. I agree about the hub. The sweats an issue with the weather warming up. I have rucksacks that I use in the winter and a laptop and a notepad courier bag which is good for the summer since you can keep your back nice and cool. I'm not big on racks and paniers though they do have obvious virtues. Electric motor helps as well:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc,

I was comfortable at about 60rpm today, seems to be my natural pace.

Hamish
That's well past the peak power delivery on the standard Panasonic system though. That has full power available up to a cadence of 39, then starts the power assist phase down and ends all power assist at 65 cadence, which on standard gearing is the 15 mph assist limit.

The standard 9 tooth motor sprocket can be changed to an 11 tooth which raises the start of power phase down to a cadence of 49, all power assist ending by a 79 cadence. That option would still leave you with about two-thirds of maximum assist at a 60 cadence. However, by switching to high power mode as well for the difficult climbs, you'd then get the equivalent of full standard power assist at a 60 cadence.

All a bit complicated, but you can read the whole story on my Panasonic website power delivery explanation.