ALWAYS REPORT SCUM DRIVERS

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Adding stuff to the right side of you bike may well discourage cars from passing too close.

However as the years have progressed, I have taken a far more safety for me approach to cycling.

In a lot of roads in my area, when in paricular there are cars parked on both sides of the road, it just not safe (for me) to leave enough space so that a car might try to sneak past (at speed) if I were cycling close to the left side.

So I block the lane, cycle in the middle. There is often no choice.

What has helped a lot is that in my urban area, Wales, the speed limit in urban areas defaults to 20mph, so me 'blocking' a lane at 15mph, is not much of an issue.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
This is 100% fact, the reason I fitted a camera to my car, and this is back when it was Mini DV tape, was I was carved up, in Scotland by the Police

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
This is 100% fact, the reason I fitted a camera to my car, and this is back when it was Mini DV tape, was I was carved up, in Scotland by the Police

It didn't happen!

But you prompted me to go looking, and I found this. Perhaps we will get it after all!

Reactions: Saracen

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So I block the lane, cycle in the middle. There is often no choice.
Unless traffic has slowed to a crawl, I never do that for fear of being squashed by a cyclist blind driver or "AI". On narrow roads, drivers avoid the handlebar Oxford, even when I'm on the left. They lurk behind the bike. Blocks them without putting myself at risk of being flattened to street pizza.

In this situation, I wouldn't have overtaken like this cyclist. I'm too wide to undertake or filter, so I very rarely do it - I wait in line with other vehicles, mostly leftish. I could fold the handlebar mounted Oxford in, but even then my bike is a bit wide. My 80s racer was much more suitable for filtering, with it's narrow drop handlebars, in the 1980s before I quit cycling. When I resumed in 2019, I was shocked at how much more aggressive drivers are. Traffic is so much livelier and dense, as are the drivers.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's the subject of a likely dangerous driving charge, so not publishing images or video yet.

Like @Saracen, it was a car plus caravan overtake, with oncoming traffic, in a 40mph limit with overtaking vehicle doing 40. My trailer means I got enough space, but the oncoming car was squeezed to the kerb, forced to almost stop, and was missed by about 100mm.

Car had bikes on the roof!
Can you upload after obscuring plates? Was there the possibility of dramatic caravan jacknifing? Cycling into a jacknifed caravan doesn't bear thinking about. 'Tis the season for big horrible caravans... Can't wait for the vid!

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I never do that for fear of being squashed by a cyclist blind driver
For sure there are some drivers who are 'cyclist blind' and will mow you down directly even when you are visible in the middle of a lane.

However, that would surely be a tiny tiny minority of drivers, whilst a much much larger majority of drivers will try to sneak past you if you leave them space to think they can do that.

Reactions: Ghost1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
However, that would surely be a tiny tiny minority of drivers, whilst a much much larger majority of drivers will try to sneak past you if you leave them space to think they can do that.
In my experience, rather inexplicably they fear the mightiness of orange Oxford plastic far too much to do that - it's like a Star Trek forcefield. I can't claim it's flower power without making radical changes to the lollipop. It's an on/off switch for close passing - flipped out is off etc.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
For sure there are some drivers who are 'cyclist blind' and will mow you down directly even when you are visible in the middle of a lane.

The problem you allude to is one of a total lack of a sense of responsibility for others who get in their way. They are completely self absorbed and drive with no care at all. When i drive a car, i am completely focussed and looking out for hazards, especially vulnerable road users, pedestrians, cyclists and motor bikers. Too many people are texting, out of their minds on drink and or drugs, and generally not looking at the road and its surroundings.

In the last few weeks i was almost run over as a pedestrian, almost wiped out on a roundabout as a cyclist in very high viz clothing, and almost knocked off the road by a car suddenly pulling out without indicating as i passed it while it was parked and suddenly moved into the road..

The standard of driving among a minority of sub-human morons, unaccountably handed driving licences is apalling.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The problem you allude to is one of a total lack of a sense of responsibility for others who get in their way. They are completely self absorbed and drive with no care at all. When i drive a car, i am completely focussed and looking out for hazards, especially vulnerable road users, pedestrians, cyclists and motor bikers. Too many people are texting, out of their minds on drink and or drugs, and generally not looking at the road and its surroundings.

In the last few weeks i was almost run over as a pedestrian, almost wiped out on a roundabout as a cyclist in very high viz clothing, and almost knocked off the road by a car suddenly pulling out without indicating as i passed it while it was parked and suddenly moved into the road..

The standard of driving among a minority of sub-human morons, unaccountably handed driving licences is apalling.
Don't forget that most people can't see ghosts.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Don't forget that most people can't see ghosts.
When cycling, this ghost is wearing a very high vis jacket. They would have to be blind, like the driver who almost ran over me outside the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle - i really think he could not see, or just completely careless and incompetent drivers in the other cases.

On the vision thing. Last year an elderly driver pulled onto the A69 at Bardon Mill, right in front of a big artic, ful ĺy loaded about thirty meters away and doing about 56 miles an hour. The truck swerved into the onvoming lane and ran off the road down an embankment. The police tested the car driver who could not see properly and confiscated his licence. I have other tales like this. One of an elderly gent at a petrol station who could not see the huge numbers on the nearest pump when he was trying to pay for his petrol. The cashier asked what pump he had used and he could not see the 6 inch digit right outside the window. Then after paying with help of others who identified the pump number, he got in the car and drove it into a car passing the petrol station. Blind and senile.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
When cycling, this ghost is wearing a very high vis jacket. They would have to be blind, like the driver who almost ran over me outside the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle - i really think he could not see, or just completely careless and incompetent drivers in the other cases.
If you mean one of those yellow reflective jackets, I call them invisibility cloaks. Every time I put mine on, they come at me from every angle.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Depressingly familiar - same happened to me all the time despite being clad head to toe in hiviz, but very bright lights burned through my cyclist's invisibility cloak - hasn't happened since I threw "6000LM" headlights onto my handlebar. Best to be proactive about this sort of thing. Drivers won't change, so guess who has to?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Number 3 is a report for me. Video clearly shows oncoming red car slowing down really early, as they realise what is about to happen, and the passing car is just inexcusably fast and close.

The urban ones I'm less worried by. Lower speed, opportunity to influence outcome, and my expectation that really quite a lot of drivers are pushy in urban streets.

Number one I would take the lane at earliest opportunity, number two I would be further right on approach to be seen sooner, and cut a little bit of slack for truck parked opposite the junction.

But it is hell out there!

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On Thursday, all within 5 minutes of starting off

The first driver wouldn't have passed so close if you looked wide, with an Oxford sticking out of the right hand side handlebar end. The third driver wouldn't have passed so close either. The first driver might have waited when confronted with a bicycle armed with a lollipop.

With very bright flashing headlights, the driver in video 2 would have noticed you I think, especially if your light or lights were flashing brightly on the tarmac a few metres ahead of you - that's another good reason why my headlights point down at the road.

None of that happens to me anymore. If it does, I'll certainly upload a vid. You should install very bright headlights on your handlebar, and an Oxford lollipop to the right hand side handlebar end. Look ridiculous, be seen, be safe.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Thanks all, yes 3 was the only one that was dangerous, I'll report that . 1 was discourteous, she should have just waited rather than overtaking into my lane. 2 was just dopey, there was no danger of a collision

Oxford lollipop here I come

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Thanks all, yes 3 was the only one that was dangerous, I'll report that . 1 was discourteous, she should have just waited rather than overtaking into my lane. 2 was just dopey, there was no danger of a collision

Oxford lollipop here I come
Yes, for me it passes the test of dangerous, not careless, for two reasons in addition to the basic fast and close: (1) another road user had to take evasive action and (2) if that was me, the camera audio would have captured the special part of my vocal repertoire that is hardwired to the startle reflex!

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
My bike
The first driver wouldn't have passed so close if you looked wide, with an Oxford sticking out of the right hand side handlebar end. The third driver wouldn't have passed so close either. The first driver might have waited when confronted with a bicycle armed with a lollipop.

d lollipop to the right hand side handlebar end. Look ridiculous, be seen, be safe.

Ah here we are making excuses for the driver and others having to take responsibility for their actions, really. MY fault for not having a pole on my bike then, :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: