36v battery with 48v motor

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I’ll be keeping the 36v battery for now as I can’t afford a new one yet. Maybe next year for a 48v upgrade.
You can buy a good 48V 15Ah for as low as £180. I have never seen batteries so cheap before. Next year it might be entirely different situation, so if you want an upgrade, the time is now.

Reactions: Steelframe

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
What's chain snatch?
My reaction too.

Mine comes on softly, gradually increasing torque over about a second or two.

Perhaps Steelframe, means the unpleasant effect of changing gear while applying power. Imagine doing that in a manual car.

Properly set up, power stops when you stop pedalling. Mine stops in a tenth of a second, and motor power does not resume until i have rotated the crank about a quarter of a turn. Even then, start current is restricted to 20% for about a second or more. This makes gear changing smooth and simple unless i really mess up.

S

Steelframe

My reaction too.

Mine comes on softly, gradually increasing torque over about a second or two.

Perhaps Steelframe, means the unpleasant effect of changing gear while applying power. Imagine doing that in a manual car.

Properly set up, power stops when you stop pedalling. Mine stops in a tenth of a second, and motor power does not resume until i have rotated the crank about a quarter of a turn. Even then, start current is restricted to 20% for about a second or more. This makes gear changing smooth and simple unless i really mess up.
I meant from a standing start. Once moving there’s no problem. Didn’t happen every time so I suppose it just happened when the ratchet in the cassette and the crank had further to turn before engaging.

S

Steelframe

You can buy a good 48V 15Ah for as low as £180. I have never seen batteries so cheap before. Next year it might be entirely different situation, so if you want an upgrade, the time is now.

£180 is a good price but I haven’t the budget for that plus the wheel kit. I need to sell stuff!

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Controllers and Displays need to be matched - I suspect your existing display won't work with a new controller.

If you wanted a bargain kit , the cheapest I could find for 26" wheel was the XF15C (rear cassette) with KT controller and display from PSWPower for £160 + £7 shipping from Germany - that is really a 48V hub motor, but is rated at 380 rpm - so you would get 285 rpm at 36V (which is plenty) - just need to check with PSWpower if the supplied KT controller is dual voltage (36V/48V)

eta - looks 15A dual voltage in the photos

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is the controller I bought, KT is the brand

The same site has akm128 hub motors (2.8kg) although they are rated 800w so not UK legal. There are 250w rated hub motors on that site

I know some people learn by experience but as @saneagle said, if you fit this kit to a bike with rim brakes you'll be constantly adjusting and maintaining the brakes because of the extra weight , power and speed (and it's so much fun you'll be using it all the time) and it will wear the wheel rims. You can get perfectly good old bikes off Facebook with manual disc brakes for £50 and then upgrade them to hydraulic brakes (I got a pair of Shimano mt200s for £35 from Ali express) - takes 20 mins max to fit them. They will last thousands of miles of maintenance free and worry free braking
You forgot to mention the easy-peal label on the AKM 128c, which, when removed, makes it the same size, shape and colour as the 250w AKM motors that are fitted to some popular brands. They're probably the same motor, anyway.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
£180 is a good price but I haven’t the budget for that plus the wheel kit. I need to sell stuff!
It is a fantastic price for a battery with Samsung cells. Don't worry, it will probably take some time for government to mess things up.

...just don't wait to long lol

Reactions: Steelframe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As mentioned the NM promoted to sell bike sis pretty much nonsense as it is the gearing that dictates torque and the NM you will get.

Select the drive that suits the terrain and the bikes/riders intended primary use.
For out and out reliability one can't beat a hub drive .

Most of peoples experience albeit breif is likely with a crappy three levels speed control bike , they can't compare to a nice current control system at 12/13s and 20a .

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Whatever NM my cadence sensored 720W BBS01B exerts on the road via my 20" rear wheel, I reckon power isn't a million Watts away from @saneagle's 48V X 22A = 1050W hub motor via his larger rear wheel.

If they're a bit unfit, 20A or 22A makes the bike almost into a moped. When you have that much torque, a crank motor has no advantage, only disadvantages.
Untrue! I can climb hills faster to escape your unhinged mates!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
720w is the battery power out put which the display shows.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
720w is the battery power out put which the display shows.
Unfortunately, I don't have that sort of display. Point is, I think @saneagle should have gone with a programmable cadence sensored 36V BBS01B instead of a harder to pedal torque sensored TSDZ2 for his hill climbing trailer hauler, for his pilgrimage to the Shangri-La restaurant in Mansfield. Preferably on smaller wheels. There's still time, ice blocking the mountain pass to Mansfield thaws in a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have the TSDZ2 and find it very easy to pedal , my TS is light to the touch and sensitive so very easy to pedal . Power is instant and have not yet encountered any need to hard at all to pedal for my use, even with a 100kg trailer load.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have the TSDZ2 and find it very easy to pedal , my TS is light to the touch and sensitive so very easy to pedal . Power is instant and have not yet encountered any need to hard at all to pedal for my use, even with a 100kg trailer load.
Ah, but you're fitter than I am and your roads are flatter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes I might be fitter or might not be .
Yes terrain is flatter but not yet got out of eco mode , there are three other modes I haven't tried yet and don't need to.
Tsdz2 is programmable as well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Which one do you have?
48v 250w TSDZ2 from RisunUK.
I do have the OSF programming and parameter changes.
I run mine at 12s/ 44v.

Risun claim/show four models in their drop down list.
36v 250 & 500w.
48v 250 & 500w.

I believe 250w is 14a and 500w is 18a.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Tsdz2 is programmable as well.
Yep, of course now that it's installed, possibly less grief to program than to swap out for a BBS01B, depending. I'm amazed at how many questions on that massive TSDZ2 ES thread go unanswered. Bloody quagmire of pain.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not read the thread for many a month, though most want it to push it's limits it's not fit or designed for.
They now have the tsdz8 so maybe they should opt for that now.
I can't complain , I don't want to be Garraint Thomas or Mark Cavendish .
I can easily tow my 100kg loaded trailer and without it waft along at over 20mph + , if my legs can sustain a high cadence.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
14A and 48V means you have quite powerful "250W" :)
No wonder it flies
14a would only be in the top mode which I have never used .
Tbh I don't even know how many amps I pull in eco , can't be more then 3 or 4.