Thoughts on my first e-bike build

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sealant in tubes may or may not work, for me it was next to useless except for telling me where the puncture was.
Often most tubes are too thin and flexible for most goops to work. Pre- slimed tubes may be better but for me it is easier and less messy to repair a tube.
Also CO2 and sealants don't always mix and may render them useless.

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
Those Marathon Plus tyres look really good so I will switch to them when I get my first puncture (hopefully a long way off !). Do you use the 'Original' or the 'Tour' ?

In the meantime are there any instant fix your tyre type products that you can squirt into your inner tube after the puncture that will temporarily fix it to get you home ? I realise that these would make the inner tube unfixable. I went into Halfords yesterday to have a look and they had a puncture fix kit which was a CO2 cylinder and injector but it still had some tyre levers and conventional puncture repair patches, no special goop to put in the tube.

I ride with the original. Must be very wary when taking a corner the bike should remain vertical as the tread and puncture protection dictates. Also this lessens a risk of a hazard of puncture to a side wall of the tyre.

My memory of puncture repair slime was only ever really good to get you home and without your full body weight on the saddle and minimum throttle. I would stand to the side of the bike one foot on a pedal. Was better than walking home.

A battery of a lesser weight maybe a difference. Overall don’t expect tyre slime to be a fix. Although a practical test will display a more up to date outcome.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
uhoh, seemed to start a can of worms here - if it helps, I use Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus 2.0 on rear 1.75 on the front, usually rather cheaper than the Schwalbe Marathon tyres

FWIW I think a spare tube is a great idea to avoid patching at the roadside, but of limited use in a rear hub conversion where getting the wheel out is a non trivial task

If I *had* to fix that with something simple I would use a self adhesive patch, fitting it by removing the tyre but not the wheel - if that makes sense. For me a £15 to £20 on a puncture resistant rear tyre was money well spent for peace of mind on my commute

Last edited:

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Yesterday was an extremely sunny day and it spoilt my ride a bit as every tiny piece of glass shone out like tiny daggers waiting to pierce my tyres. It is extraordinary how much of it was around and gave rise to a dilemma.

There is a cycle track alongside a dual carriageway in the outskirts of Liverpool. It has been here for many years and when it was built in the 1960's it was quite a novelty. The track obviously never gets cleaned or swept so hence the amount of tiny pieces of glass and other bits of cr*p that have accumulated over the years.

The dilemma is whether to ride on a nice smooth clean roadway with roaring traffic or a bumpy, detritus strewn cycle track. Of course it has to be the track but it is just a question of time I reckon .....

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
E9968B4F-DEB4-4377-9398-F74BDBAB4206.jpeg
anyone know whats offensive in my last post on this thread - I just cant see it sorry
Someone depressed the emotion button extreme right. Cannot read anything offensive wrote.

Get the brush out and sweep that cycle path :)

Marathons are essential Ebike kit. 50kmh my top speed on standard bicycle tyres is way too high a risk.

The photo from yesterday Marathon Plus originals within the Stara Planina, mountain range.Village of Byala, seen down in a valley.

I’d just climbed out of the valley at 16kmh with some pedal assistance. Requirement to save battery power to allow a 40kmh return home once beyond Sliven.

Front suspension forks will be fitted this week with facility to install disc brake.

Last edited:

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
uhoh, seemed to start a can of worms here - if it helps, I use Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus 2.0 on rear 1.75 on the front, usually rather cheaper than the Schwalbe Marathon tyres

FWIW I think a spare tube is a great idea to avoid patching at the roadside, but of limited use in a rear hub conversion where getting the wheel out is a non trivial task

If I *had* to fix that with something simple I would use a self adhesive patch, fitting it by removing the tyre but not the wheel - if that makes sense. For me a £15 to £20 on a puncture resistant rear tyre was money well spent for peace of mind on my commute
Hi - just an apology to DynatechFan as somehow I made a mistake and marked this post as offensive - did not mean to do it and must not have had my reading glasses on ! Not sure how the forum software works and whether other people could see my report but just in case you all could I want to set the record straight. In actual fact it was the compete opposite as DynatechFan gave me the useful tip of carrying self-adhesive patches which I have now gone out and bought. So thanks for that and sorry again :)

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
thanks Paultr - all sorted :)

except I can seem to edit / remove the old post - so it sort of stands there . . .
Do you mean your post when you asked about what was offensive ? I removed my mistaken report and it accepted that.
If you want me to I may be able to delete the whole thread as I was the op. Not sure how this software works. I could then repost the original post. I will have a check through to see if we will lose any useful replies.