Thoughts on my first e-bike build

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Hi all

I thought I would share my experience of adding electric power to a new bike and what I have learned in case there are any newbies like me who are trying to decide whether to DIY or buy a ready built off the shelf bike

I have wanted an electric bike ever since I owned an electric moped type bike when I lived part time in China just before I retired a couple of years ago. This was a clod hopping thing with lead acid batteries and pedals that were a token gesture to some obscure Chinese law. It was great for getting around Shenzhen though as I dared not drive there. The whole bike cost under £100 and had quite a turn of speed. There were thousands of them and you could ride them anywhere. Contrary to popular belief the Chinese are totally into electric power and their policies are years ahead of ours. The problem is that there countless heavily polluting factories and each one has a rich owner and he and his family want an Audi, BMW etc.

Anyway, I had no idea as to a donor bike but bought a Cannondale Quick because it had the equipment I thought I would like - hydraulic disk brakes, reasonable quality gears etc. It also had front suspension which I did not really want but I figured that the motor could share the strain of lugging round the extra weight. The bike itself was light for its class (but nothing like my 1970's racing bike !).

I then went on a well know auction site and started to look for power. I was reassured with the large amount of choice. I then read up on the law and my instinctive reaction was 'stuff that' - you can get what you want from China and who is going to check anyway. The next stage was to research the motor and I found this site which has proved a fantastic resource. I started to read that it was not quite as simple as I first thought. Initially I wanted say a 1000W motor, twist grip throttle, who needs a pedelec sensor - in effect a small electric motorbike.

As I read more on here, doubts crept in - high powered motors use a lot of power so bigger (heavy) batteries are needed. Some of them are not of the highest quality. Someone mentioned that pedal assist is a nice relaxing ride. It was time for a rethink.

I started to realise that there was a guy from Woosh bikes that replied helpfully to many threads. I got in touch with him and told him of my desire for lots of power and his reaction when he found out that I was slim and light was that I did not need it. I saw he had a 350W rear wheel kit for a 700C bike and I started to contemplate buying through a UK bricks and mortar supplier. A bit more cost but ..... support. As it happened, as of a few weeks ago he was o/s of the 350W motors in my size wheel and could only offer me a 250W motor but again he assured me it would propel me nicely up all but the most severest gradients. I thought if I was not happy I could always sell it and swop it out later and really did not want to wait a couple of months for the larger motor.

I dived in and ordered a 250W rear wheel kit from Woosh. I read all the disclaimers that said you had to be quite skilful to install the kit but I reckoned that as I built my first racing bike out of bits I scavenged as a skint teenager and now have a decent set of tools, I could do it. I was also determined not to go crying for help at the first hurdle. I would have to check, but by this point before the kit had actually arrived I guess Tony had replied to over 20 emails seeking advice ranging from which bike to buy, would this and that be suitable and so on.

The kit arrived the day before we went on holiday so I had to wait 2 weeks to start it which I did on Monday this week. I think I read somewhere that it takes 3 or 4 hours or even less to install a kit. Not in my case ;). It took me a day before I sent my first cry for help from Tony. I was relieved and impressed when the reply to my question arrived within 10 minutes or so. Over the course of the past few days I have had to send more than 10 requests for help - all were answered quickly and courteously. I should add that installing the kit was not that difficult. I was being very over cautious working on a bike that cost far more than I ever spent on a bike before. I ended up hardly being able to believe how well it all fitted. Even the disk brake rotor slipped in to the calipers with very little adjustment. Standards are very useful sometimes !

Finally it was all in and I took the bike out to the road outside my house. I had not tested the motor or anything but was going so slowly I was sure I had not made any mistakes with the wiring but nevertheless when I got on board, switched on and started to pedal there was a scream of delight when I started to woosh along :)

Things I learnt ; I am so pleased I did it all myself. I learnt so much about my new bike being so up close and personal with it for 3 days. For example, to get the rear motor wheel in I decided to take off all the mech (learnt that word too !). Now the disc brake calipers or the rotor hold no mystery. Even the rear derailleur which is so much more complex than my old 1970's Italian one was not that different. I did a lot of the work on a bike stand I bought but should have turned the bike upside down much earlier in the process. I got carried away with the novelty of having the bike suspended in front of me but with the rear wheel, gravity is your friend and I struggled at times when I did not need to. I think I made the right decision to go very slowly. I bought the Park Tools bike maintenance book and read about each stage in that. I shelled out on a good quality 1/4" torque wrench which is a joy to use.

My final thoughts for any other newbies to consider (all you with so much more experience please feel free to contradict me if I am wrong) are: I am so happy I took Tony's advice that a small 250W motor would be enough. It accelerates so well, it is quite lightweight which means I could get the largest battery/range option but most of all it is so amazingly quiet. I have gone from wanting the largest motor available to being so glad I got the smallest. It really is enough for me. The bike rides without power nearly as well as it did before I motorised it (you have to remember though this is no light weight road bike).

Finally, for me, buying from Woosh was definitely the right option. Had I been adding power to an old bike I had lying around it might have been different but on a new bike I did not want to make any mistakes. I could have asked questions on here but it was a luxury having someone to hold my hand at the other end of an email connection. As to anyone considering going down the DIY route, I would encourage anyone who is half handy using tools to give it a go. I found the build process very enjoyable and did not want it to end ! The end result is nothing short of amazing. It is such fun to ride and makes getting around much faster.

Lastly, to Tony if you read this. Thank you - you have the patience of a saint :)

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection with Woosh.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Nice one - I concur that a self build is so satisfying :) funnily enough I was looking at a UK based kit for the reasons you give but went to ebay as the kit was an experiment and 3 to 4 times the value of the bike it was going on. My next build will hopefully be to a much newer bike

And yes I too learnt quite late on that building in a proper workshop stand hinders certain jobs . . .

Do you have puncture resistant tyres? That's one thing I swapped in my build after all the hassle of getting the rear hub wheel in and out - wouldn't want to do that by the road side in the rain

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Nice one - I concur that a self build is so satisfying :) funnily enough I was looking at a UK based kit for the reasons you give but went to ebay as the kit was an experiment and 3 to 4 times the value of the bike it was going on. My next build will hopefully be to a much newer bike

And yes I too learnt quite late on that building in a proper workshop stand hinders certain jobs . . .

Do you have puncture resistant tyres? That's one thing I swapped in my build after all the hassle of getting the rear hub wheel in and out - wouldn't want to do that by the road side in the rain
No, did not think of puncture resistant tyres unfortunately. I guess I will just have to be super careful.
I am planning to get a new motor and build it into the original wheel that came off the bike. This has black spokes and a black rim whereas the one I have just fitted has a chrome finish with a bit of black. It is not really noticeable as I have panniers on however. In fact, I will take a pic and post later - want to show off my pride & joy :)

Reactions: LeighPing

mags2

Pedelecer
May 20, 2018
UK
I had a similar but less than ideal path to getting a good setup recently. I happened to see some video about electric bikes which got me interested and after a lot of watching i decided to get a cheap kit. While not ideal being full power no assist levels it was good for learning and understanding why lcd kits are superior.

I since upgraded to a yosepower which i highly recommend being quiet and powerful up hills. I got the upgrade bug and also went for more ergonomic grips which really make a difference. I've also got new wider big ben tyres for better grip, puncture protection and comfort. Not sure what else i can improve but i can see myself cycling everywhere now.

Last edited:

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Thank you Paultr - that's very reassuring. :) My experience so far has been limited to building desktop computers.

P.S. I visited Shenzhen for a couple of month a couple of years ago. I was amazed by variety of vehicles on the roads there.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Thank you Paultr - that's very reassuring. :) My experience so far has been limited to building desktop computers.

P.S. I visited Shenzhen for a couple of month a couple of years ago. I was amazed by variety of vehicles on the roads there.
Unfortunately they have recently banned e-bikes as they just got too numerous and the accident rate was rising. It has had sad consequences for the thousands of riders who offered a low cost taxi service (motorbikes went years ago).
Anyway, sounds like you are tempted by the DIY route and as I said above, my advice would be to go for it. I bought the Park Tools maintaince book which I can recommend and also as I said above you get the spin off benefit of understanding your bike better and being able to deal with running repairs.
The other advantage over buying ready to ride from the bigger bike retailers is that you get a thumb throttle. I can't speak for all shops but the two I looked at (Halfords & Evans) only seemed to offer a pedal assist option. Whilst this is a nice way to ride, I have found that having the thumb throttle is useful, especially when just setting off.

• Agree

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Useful writeup. Thank you. I am about to convert our tandem (see this thread with lots of advice from Tony). I just wondered which of the Woosh kits you ended up with?

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Useful writeup. Thank you. I am about to convert our tandem (see this thread with lots of advice from Tony). I just wondered which of the Woosh kits you ended up with?
I got the 250W 700C rear wheel motor - MXUS XF08C. It is actually legal ;) As I said my first instinctive feeling was to go for as much power as possible but Tony (correctly as it turned out) assured me that 250W would be enough. It is all a bit of a trade off - more power equals more battery usage and extra weight. There is also the issue of certain 'moments' you get when power arrives when you are not expecting it. I very nearly trashed a potted topiary box plant which was next to the bike when I was locking it up at my local garden centre. I had forgotten the motor was on and moved the pedals as I locked it and ..... the bike reared up quite dramatically As it was I was able to restrain it but had it been a motor with a lot more power it could have been an expensive mistake. Hopefully this type of incident will not occur when I am more used to the bike.

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Unfortunately they have recently banned e-bikes as they just got too numerous and the accident rate was rising. It has had sad consequences for the thousands of riders who offered a low cost taxi service (motorbikes went years ago)..
Really? I was impressed by Xiaomi QiCycle and was tempted to bring it back. The main thing that stopped me was that I couldn't take it on a plane...

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks for the information. I am probably going for the XF07 front (I understand it is the same motor as the XF08 on a different hub). More powerful would be good for tandem as Tony has pointed out, but sadly the BPM isn't technically legal (marked 350w), and the SWX02 not available in 700C.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Really? I was impressed by Xiaomi QiCycle and was tempted to bring it back. The main thing that stopped me was that I couldn't take it on a plane...
They (and I mean the electric moped type e-bikes not our push bike conversions - I am not sure about them) were actually banned in around 2012 but like a lot of laws nobody took much notice until there was a crackdown which happened several years later. I drove mine around without hassle but as a Laowai I was unlikely to be targeted. I was in Guangzhou once and there were cops grabbing riders and their bikes were thrown onto an accompanying truck to be destroyed (or sold in another province ;))

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
They (and I mean the electric moped type e-bikes not our push bike conversions - I am not sure about them) were actually banned in around 2012 but like a lot of laws nobody took much notice until there was a crackdown which happened several years later. I drove mine around without hassle but as a Laowai I was unlikely to be targeted. I was in Guangzhou once and there were cops grabbing riders and their bikes were thrown onto an accompanying truck to be destroyed (or sold in another province ;))
I am planning on a cycling trip in Yangshuo in a couple of weeks - I haven't yet decided whether it's better to rent or to bring my own bike. Any recommendations are very welcome.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
I am planning on a cycling trip in Yangshuo in a couple of weeks - I haven't yet decided whether it's better to rent or to bring my own bike. Any recommendations are very welcome.
It is a long time since I have been there are no doubt there have been many changes. I absolutely loved it and was very lucky to be able to hire a kayak on one of the small rivers with not one other person around. Stunning scenery amongst the Karst mountains. There was a lot of bike hire but cannot comment on what quality they are.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015

Your comment about puncture resistant tyres has been niggling away at me and I have been very careful not to ride over those bits at road junctions which are just out of the main traffic flow and where piles of gravel and maybe dreaded nails and screws might accumulate and so far, so good. Yesterday however I saw a girl sat at the side of the road struggling with a puncture so this morning I decided to learn about puncture resistant tyres and how they work. The first search took me to a Cycling Weekly video about how to retro fit puncture resistance into your tyres. This seems like a no brainer but I suspect there may be downsides or else everyone would do it. Can anyone comment one way or another ?

Using "No tubes tyre sealant" to give existing tyres puncture resistance .....
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos/cycling-tech/how-to-puncture-proof-your-tyres

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I use Swalbe Marathon plus tyres and slime in the tube. Don't even have to pump them up any more. The 12mm kevlar in the Marathons doed make them a bit stiff and some comment on their grip, but I've never had any problems (road riding and occaisional path).

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I used to have a thorny off-road commute; more than one puncture every week. I fitted Marathon Plus. That was 13 years ago (several of them with that commute), maybe 1000 miles a year with quite a bit off road, and neither has had a puncture. The rear one is finally worn and is about to be replaced. My wife's bike, my (grown up) son's bike and our tandem have had Marathon Plus for around 10 years; 2 punctures for my son (lots of thorny off road use) and no others.

Minus of the Marathon Plus: fairly heavy to ride, not very grippy for forward propulsion, not at all grippy for sideways on mud. Marathon Plus Tour may be better for the grip?

When I tried sealant (some time ago, it might have improved since then) the result was a puncture fairly soon, and the inner tube and inside of the tyre covered in gunge so the inner tube could not be repaired.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Thanks for the replies :)
I have been down to a large bike shop (part of a chain) and two guys in there were very dismissive about pouring the sealant into my existing tyres (at least the brand they sold). They said it had a limited working life and would also gunge up my valves. They told me to carry around a spare inner tube and a set of tyre levers so I could get on my way and do the repair at home later.
I will definitely have to research some puncture resistant tyres ready for when I pick up some punctures.
I don't know what is different these days but during my teen years (13-17) I used to go for miles and miles around suburban Liverpool on my racing bike (very skinny tyres) and can hardly remember any punctures.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
Puncture resistant tyres are essential particular when riding with a heavy battery. I in the early days had way too many punctures. Although was with a 48v 40Ah lifepo4 battery attached a back pannier.

I did ride for a while with the original front tyre present bicycle and on arrival home one day a hot piece of nickel strip that was stray sliced into that tyre. Fortunate was a ready and waiting Marathon Plus, to take its place. Great tyres and very good value.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Those Marathon Plus tyres look really good so I will switch to them when I get my first puncture (hopefully a long way off !). Do you use the 'Original' or the 'Tour' ?

In the meantime are there any instant fix your tyre type products that you can squirt into your inner tube after the puncture that will temporarily fix it to get you home ? I realise that these would make the inner tube unfixable. I went into Halfords yesterday to have a look and they had a puncture fix kit which was a CO2 cylinder and injector but it still had some tyre levers and conventional puncture repair patches, no special goop to put in the tube.