Prices of the electricity we use to charge

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
na just put it on x we still have freedom of speech the fbi and cia are out of that server :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I love it on those days when we see 55% of UK power coming from wind. It is cheap for a start and that will ultimately pass through to the consumer bills, but we ain't ever going to see a time I think, when we are zero carbon on electricity. Gas only involves about half the carbon emissions of coal, but we are for the foreseeable future going to have to burn that gas.
do you follow progress of grid scale storage batteries? Energy can be stored pretty cheaply with current technology. It's just that we have existing gas fired power stations so we use them instead of investing in storage batteries. Still, the prediction is solar panels + storage batteries. Very predictable in theory.

D

Deleted member 16246

do you follow progress of grid scale storage batteries? Energy can be stored pretty cheaply with current technology. It's just that we have existing gas fired power stations so we use them instead of investing in storage batteries. Still, the prediction is solar panels + storage batteries. Very predictable in theory.
If you are right, it would be a good thing. I have completely changed my mind about wind. It used to be very expensive and now it isn't. They sell for about 5 pence a kilowatt hour. Gas is now far more expensive than that and will likely remain so for the longer term now we don't have the Russian stuff.

I am a bit sceptical that the battery storage at scale would be cheap enough to tide us over the flat calm days. I don't see it, but I am never unwilling to change my mind if I can see I was wrong.

Of course - all of our attempts to reduce carbon emissions are like peeing into a force ten gale while China built last year more coal fired power plant than our entire generating capacity. Not only that; they are building them all over Africa.

The UK emits 1% of the world's co2 emissions. China emits about 35% on its own.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
stick a 10-20kw heat pump on everyone's house :p no one wants those 2 houses up the road bank will auction them soon.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

blades are made from carbon and solar panels cant be recycled either as glass coper and silver fused together they just get crushed and go to landfill.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am a bit sceptical that the battery storage at scale would be cheap enough to tide us over the flat calm days. I don't see it, but I am never unwilling to change my mind if I can see I was wrong.
the current price of LFP is about $85 / kWH. It will be below $50/kWH soon (2030) for the new generation of sodium battery. Assuming that you make 5 cents per kWH, you only need 1000 charges you get you cost back.

Reactions: flecc and Tony1951

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Hydrostor’s first large project to go online is likely going to be Silver City Energy Storage Centre in Australia, which will have the ability to discharge at 200 megawatts for up to eight hours. "

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 16246

"Hydrostor’s first large project to go online is likely going to be Silver City Energy Storage Centre in Australia, which will have the ability to discharge at 200 megawatts for up to eight hours. "
An interesting idea at first sight, but almost twenty percent less efficient than a lithium ion battery overall. The cause of the efficiency drop is irrecoverable heat loss in compression.

I am not sure how it compares with pumped storage of the sort we already have.

Just looked it up. That is more like the same efficiency as lithium batteries.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240506_221556[1].jpg
1,000,000,000,000 watts but if i made a batt that small and powerful id have to weaponize it first for my protection. :p

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
An interesting idea at first sight, but almost twenty percent less efficient than a lithium ion battery overall. The cause of the efficiency drop is irrecoverable heat loss in compression.

I am not sure how it compares with pumped storage of the sort we already have.

Just looked it up. That is more like the same efficiency as lithium batteries.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

"Found: the dial in the brain that controls the immune system"

"The Monmouth University poll, conducted on April 18-22 shows a 10-point decline in Americans who says climate change is a “very serious” problem, "

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1951

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"A motorist who is traumatised after being ordered to stop on a motorway by a man posing as a police officer, has been told there will be no criminal investigation and police will not speak to the man face-to-face."

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You sure he's the problem?
I didn't say he is the problem of our society. He is a perfect example of the problem or problems of our society.
When I was at primary school, it was drummed into us the importance of reasoning. That helps develop not only with our math but also the sense of right or wrong when we have to think for ourselves without the guidance of our parents.
Now, everyone is given a voice. We can say more or less what we like. Unfortunately, not every thing we say is a result of rigorous reasoning. So we accept simple lies as 'alternative truths' and give to the lies a similar value as truth. If you want to prove your case, you have to go to court and even court loses its value. You have probably seen reportage or transcript of Hope Hicks testimony in Trump court case last Friday. I wonder when she burst into tears, it was because she realised that by destroying Trump's defence, she could see clearly the part of responsibility to history of those who worked to win him the 2016 election.

Reactions: Tony1951
D

Deleted member 16246

I didn't say he is the problem of our society. He is a perfect example of the problem or problems of our society.
When I was at primary school, it was drummed into us the importance of reasoning. That helps develop not only with our math but also the sense of right or wrong when we have to think for ourselves without the guidance of our parents.
Now, everyone is given a voice. We can say more or less what we like. Unfortunately, not every thing we say is a result of rigorous reasoning. So we accept simple lies as 'alternative truths' and give to the lies a similar value as truth. If you want to prove your case, you have to go to court and even court loses its value. You have probably seen reportage or transcript of Hope Hicks testimony in Trump court case last Friday. I wonder when she burst into tears, it was because she realised that by destroying Trump's defence, she could see clearly the part of responsibility to history of those who worked to win him the 2016 election.
Ain't that the truth.

I agree 100% with this.

Truth and judgement is all, and I would only add the need to have proper criteria for truth. Not the, 'I feel in my bones,' but proper scientific standards for deciding and getting to the truth.

Science is a process. It is dedicated to self correction and validation through actual facts - empirical data - which means clear, testable and accurate information. It is based on researchers testing their best guesses about what is happening through experiment, but that testing being sceptical (the null hypothesis). Scientists do not try to prove their theories right. They try to prove them wrong. IF the hypothesis is NOT wrong, then we accept it UNTIL other evidence proves it is wrong. Theories are only ever temporary, until something better can be found. This is why some of Einstein's ideas are being refined and maybe eventually replaced. In the same way, in his day, Einstein replaced Newtons idea of what gravity was and how it worked.

These are the principles of sceptical testing, that brought us the massive improvement in our lives from medicine to technology during the 19th and 20th centuries. The EXACT opposite is what Trumpism represents. He did not start it, but he has become the flag bearer for the 'I can say anything I like' movement that has infested America and spread much further. They wallow in ignorance, and celebrate their own stupidity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16246

From Lenny's post:

It would really be great news if these sodium batteries really came good. Sodium - plentiful, cheap and non flammable. If what is being said in this article is actually real, then we could see some big improvements in storing electric power.

I am sceptical though. We often see claims that are more about recruiting more investors than telling us about reality.

D

Deleted member 16246

I love this guy's cosmology videos. The standard is truly awe inspiring for a a small team working on its own. It kicks sand in the face of the stuff done by the BBC because he operates on a tiny budget, yet manages to produce far better work.

An example of one of many videos done by him:

• :D
Reactions: POLLY