Prices of the electricity we use to charge

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
na just put it on x we still have freedom of speech the fbi and cia are out of that server :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I love it on those days when we see 55% of UK power coming from wind. It is cheap for a start and that will ultimately pass through to the consumer bills, but we ain't ever going to see a time I think, when we are zero carbon on electricity. Gas only involves about half the carbon emissions of coal, but we are for the foreseeable future going to have to burn that gas.
do you follow progress of grid scale storage batteries? Energy can be stored pretty cheaply with current technology. It's just that we have existing gas fired power stations so we use them instead of investing in storage batteries. Still, the prediction is solar panels + storage batteries. Very predictable in theory.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
do you follow progress of grid scale storage batteries? Energy can be stored pretty cheaply with current technology. It's just that we have existing gas fired power stations so we use them instead of investing in storage batteries. Still, the prediction is solar panels + storage batteries. Very predictable in theory.
If you are right, it would be a good thing. I have completely changed my mind about wind. It used to be very expensive and now it isn't. They sell for about 5 pence a kilowatt hour. Gas is now far more expensive than that and will likely remain so for the longer term now we don't have the Russian stuff.

I am a bit sceptical that the battery storage at scale would be cheap enough to tide us over the flat calm days. I don't see it, but I am never unwilling to change my mind if I can see I was wrong.

Of course - all of our attempts to reduce carbon emissions are like peeing into a force ten gale while China built last year more coal fired power plant than our entire generating capacity. Not only that; they are building them all over Africa.

The UK emits 1% of the world's co2 emissions. China emits about 35% on its own.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
stick a 10-20kw heat pump on everyone's house :p no one wants those 2 houses up the road bank will auction them soon.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

blades are made from carbon and solar panels cant be recycled either as glass coper and silver fused together they just get crushed and go to landfill.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am a bit sceptical that the battery storage at scale would be cheap enough to tide us over the flat calm days. I don't see it, but I am never unwilling to change my mind if I can see I was wrong.
the current price of LFP is about $85 / kWH. It will be below $50/kWH soon (2030) for the new generation of sodium battery. Assuming that you make 5 cents per kWH, you only need 1000 charges you get you cost back.