eMTB Recommendations

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Hello

I'm really hoping someone can help!
I took a eMTB Haibike Xduro RX for a day in Santorini, Greece and loved it. Ive now got the bug and looking to find one but Im struggling locating dealers with eMTBs.

So far im set on the Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 Action Team its ticks everything I want which are:-
  • Serious MTB capability (140mm+ Travel) I ride single track, all mountain, enduro
  • Components - Kashima suspension is a nice bonus, I also like that it has 4pot brakes (I weight around 85-90kg) so me + bike is a big load to stop!
  • Price, My budget is up to £3700
Is there any bikes you can recommend or dealers nearby (Yorkshire)?

I do like the look of KTM but im struggling locating dealers, Haibike would be another choice but the components in my price bracket dont seem sufficient

Many thanks in advance

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Also I meant to ask what sort of range are people seeing on rides with good amounts of climbing?

I'll mid week be riding to work a few times and then evenings local single track but its fairly hilly nearby.

In Greece we rode around 15-18 mile I would guesstimate and showed around 1/3 battery remaining, it was very host 36degrees and we did quite frequent climbs

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
I'd buy from a local bike store, rather than buying on internet. Nearly all the main bike brands have an eMTB, Trek, Scott, Lapierre, Cube, Specialized, to name but a few. When you start looking in local bike stores, they all have a eMTB bike somewhere, but they don't seem to advertise them. The cycle industry doesn't seem to like change.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it depends what modes you use how fit you are and if you want a dongle.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Also I meant to ask what sort of range are people seeing on rides with good amounts of climbing?

I'll mid week be riding to work a few times and then evenings local single track but its fairly hilly nearby.

In Greece we rode around 15-18 mile I would guesstimate and showed around 1/3 battery remaining, it was very host 36degrees and we did quite frequent climbs
I think a big influence on battery life is down to riders weight? Yesterday wife and I did 12 miles climbing to the top (and down) of the Black Mountains. Wifes bike (she's 54kgs) had 72 per cent left, mine (I'm 75kgs) had 64 pc remaining. We've never used more than 75 pc in a days riding off road. That Cube will be fantastic! Good luck.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Learning from past experiences i would say buy as local as possible because it saves a lot of stress in the long run,you can`t go wrong with Ktm or Cube as they are both fantastic brands.
Just make sure you go with the Bosch CX motor and the 500wh battery because this is probably the top combination at the moment.

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
Just make sure you go with the Bosch CX motor and the 500wh battery because this is probably the top combination at the moment.
I have a Bosch CX motor with 500wH battery, and my bike was much faster & had more battery life left after a 20 mile ride, than my mates Haibike with Yamaha motor and 400wH battery. Both bikes Dongled, my mates got a plug in thing from ebikeshop.co.uk, and mines a Speedup from Italy.

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Thanks all for the replies.

I always used LBS I've bought every bike I've ever owned locally but I genuinely am struggling locating stock locally. Most reply with they will order one in that I can demo but I will have to allow my card to be authorised (one even quoted 80% of the value of the bike) just to ride around the car park!

As said LBS seem reluctant to change and I cant understand why, Because people will just go elsewhere.

it depends what modes you use how fit you are and if you want a dongle.
Relatively fit, I run 2-3 times a week and ride 2-3 times mid-week and usually a large 15-30mile MTB ride OR 80+ mile ride on road bike at the weekend.

Im effectively selling my cyclocross and current MTB (XC 120mm full sus) in place to buy the e bike so it needs to be versatile in that I can use it for local forest/urban rides and capable of taking a hammering at weekends open/natural single track (Lakes, Derbyshire, Moors etc)

Giving up two bikes for one is odd for me! So it leaves me with road bike and the "new" e bike.
I like the look of the Bergamont but again struggling to locate

Reactions: StewC

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Learning from past experiences i would say buy as local as possible because it saves a lot of stress in the long run,you can`t go wrong with Ktm or Cube as they are both fantastic brands.
This is why I would like to buy local, I'm typically a self maintainer but with the motor element I would rather buy local to save enormous round trip

I have a Bosch CX motor with 500wH battery, and my bike was much faster & had more battery life left after a 20 mile ride, than my mates Haibike with Yamaha motor and 400wH battery. Both bikes Dongled, my mates got a plug in thing from ebikeshop.co.uk, and mines a Speedup from Italy.
Yeah definitely want a 500wH pack. I will likely dongle it but initially I just want the bike to get out and play! :)

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well i have got 32 miles from a 400w batt so should get a extra 10 on top of that with the 500w.

if you change the tyres from sg to normal ones then be 1kg lighter as well.

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
well i have got 32 miles from a 400w batt so should get a extra 10 on top of that with the 500w.

if you change the tyres from sg to normal ones then be 1kg lighter as well.
Thanks soundwave, From the looks of your posts in owners photo and ride we likely ride similar route in profile so its a good idea on what I can achieve distance wise.
Get some more photo of your rig on there! :)

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
Last edited:

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Lee,
Sorry for the delay replying.
We have a good selection of Haibike full sus at our York store: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/yorkstore

You can get John on: 07462639761 - currently a mobile due to temporary location until our flooded shop re-opens (which will be August fingers crossed). You'll find John very knowledgable and helpful being a keen eMTBer himself.
Let me know if I can help more.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Lee I forgot to mention that Haibike (and I guess many EU made bike prices) are going up very soon. Haibike prices go up August 1st. We have an offer of 5% off until then.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ets will you price match on bikes?