Cheap Brompton Conversion Kit?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
They're slightly different, but they both work the same. I've never noticed any difference in any of them performance-wise apart from the SWXU, which is much smaller. The SWXB has the advantage that it's easy to open. You need a special tool for the SWXK.
Thanks again. How about SWXU and Q100 front 36v 328rpm? They have a similar weight so would the power and internal gearing the same?

Pat

D

Deleted member 4366

The Q100 is an entirely different motor. The rotor spins much faster. It's gears are completely different. It uses two-stage reduction gears. The SWXU is rated at up to 220W, the Q100 at up to 350W, which is 60% more powerful.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
The Q100 is an entirely different motor. The rotor spins much faster. It's gears are completely different. It uses two-stage reduction gears. The SWXU is rated at up to 220W, the Q100 at up to 350W, which is 60% more powerful.
So it does give more torque than SWXU in this case? when both spin at 340rpm with 36v?

Pat

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Anyone does know the answer?

Pat
Hi Pat,

The SWXB and SWXK both have 1:4.3 internal reduction gearing whereas the SWXU has a ratio of 1:5.4 therefore the rotor in the SWXU will be turning faster to give you the same wheel rpm as the other 2.

The noise levels of all 3 motors are about the same but the SWXU will be at a higher pitch.

You have the choice of running them over voltage to increase speed or over current to increase power, both of these choices take the motors outside there original mechanical and electrical design parameters resulting in loss of efficiency and thus would require a larger battery to allow for these extra losses.

I don't condone it, but it would be better to to fit a higher power rated motor to achieve the extra performance you a looking for without incurring those extra losses.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks. Have you tried q100 36v 328rpm compared with other swx motors?

Pat

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
That's ok. Actually, I am quite surprised no one has tried q100 on brompton. I thought it is another choice instead of Tongxi motor.

Pat

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

aetos2000

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2014
Like this

Everything controller and battery is in my bag connected via an umbilical chord to the motor and throttle which are just on the bike

Umbilical parks on a dummy connector on the bike when not in use.

This DIY thread details the whole build from a bare motor wheel build to building a small battery from single power drill cells.

PS doing it yourself as you say does have the advantage of being able to fix it your self and you can buy two of everything as spares and still have a lot of money left over compared to buying a kit.

Regards

Jerry
Like this

Everything controller and battery is in my bag connected via an umbilical chord to the motor and throttle which are just on the bike

Umbilical parks on a dummy connector on the bike when not in use.

This DIY thread details the whole build from a bare motor wheel build to building a small battery from single power drill cells.

PS doing it yourself as you say does have the advantage of being able to fix it your self and you can buy two of everything as spares and still have a lot of money left over compared to buying a kit.

Regards

Jerry
Smart fast connector Jerry ,any info about that ? Is DIY?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
John, I'm very close to buying a customer's Brompton (he bought a Sahel Compact to replace one of his pair of Bromptons so we've ended up with a barely-used white 3-speed which we'll either sell for him or make use of...), I'd like to hear about the eZee conversion, that sounds very interesting to me right now!

C

Cyclezee

John, I'm very close to buying a customer's Brompton (he bought a Sahel Compact to replace one of his pair of Bromptons so we've ended up with a barely-used white 3-speed which we'll either sell for him or make use of...), I'd like to hear about the eZee conversion, that sounds very interesting to me right now!
Hi Tim,
eZee have been planning the Brompton conversion for a long time, but I think it will be several months before the conversion is available.
I'm sure that you would be able to sell the Brompton as it stands without to much difficulty.
They will have it at interbike this year, with some new models.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I heard about another one today, a dealer from the States visited (bearing some bad news about a big electric bike figure out in NYC) and he mentioned a Brompton conversion they were working on too, something they were developing in-house in Colorado, but he didn't give up any specifics.

What's the latest with Brompton's own efforts, I wonder?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
All quiet still from Brompton. Don't hold your breadth.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Sure is :p

Only rated at 6A/pin so ensure your motor phase wires don't exceed that. Of course with the Tongxin and Keyde motors its not a problem.

Jerry