Cheap Brompton Conversion Kit?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I don't see any problem using a hub gear for normal recreational use as long as your can match the gear ratio to the crank cadence to provide the speed/efficient torque match.

D

Deleted member 4366

The crank-drive kits don't release the power quick enough to change gear, and if you try and change gear with the power on, something will get damaged.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Has anyone found a mini-throttle for brompton? I found all throttle that are sold too big and bulky

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yeah I saw this one but I still find it quite bulky.. :(

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yeah I saw this one but I still find it quite bulky.. :(
I use them on the Brompton but you have to either use the cheap Chinese cutout brakes, or (I am hoping) the new Brompton brake levers which now replace the old ones that had a wide base and got in the way of the throttle.

The new brake levers

Brompton aluminium brake lever for S-type, M-type , H-type and P-type, RIGHT hand - new for 2013

If not you could try these Shimano BL-R550s ones that people have used before.

I now have the HWCB units (thanks Dave) which I am hoping to fit to the Brompton front brake as I need cutout facilities as I have cruise control :)

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I am considering to swap the motor to a quiet one at high speed

What is the main difference between SWXB and SWXU? Is SWXB more quiet than SWXU?

I am running same SWXB but at sensorless mode. If I run it at sensor mode would that be more quiet at high speed?

Q100 motor 36v 328rpm is more quiet than both motors above?

Sorry for so many questions.
Pat

D

Deleted member 4366

The SWXU is much smaller and less powerful. Does your SWXB have hall sensors, If so, why are you running it sensorless?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
The SWXU is much smaller and less powerful. Does your SWXB have hall sensors, If so, why are you running it sensorless?
My SWXB motor only has three phase wires. I should have ordered hall sensor but it is too late now.

Do you think if I order SWXB again with hall sensor connection, would this help the reduce the noise at high speed?

Pat

D

Deleted member 4366

Motors are generally quieter with hall sensors. Some sound really rough without them. I'd have to hear yours to know whether it's more noisy. A sine-wave controller would probably quieten it a bit if you can find a sensorless one

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks Dave I will try to make a video later on

Seen 8fun is able to make SWXK 340rpm for me. What is the main difference internally between them (Apart from the cable existing from the side plate.)
pat

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Is it possible to get stronger front forks custom made? Would you then be able to get a torquey motor and controller involved?
Had a reality check last week when I saw some of the hills in Devon. There's no way I would be able to get up them unaided and the 24v system I had would have struggled.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need custom made forks. There's loads of forks strong enough for a 500w geared motor. The main problem is to get enough traction. Even a 250w front motor can make the wheel slip on a steep hill. A rear motor is better for high power.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks Dave I will try to make a video later on

Seen 8fun is able to make SWXK 340rpm for me. What is the main difference internally between them (Apart from the cable existing from the side plate.)
pat
Anyone does know the answer?

Pat

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Is it possible to get stronger front forks custom made? Would you then be able to get a torquey motor and controller involved?
Had a reality check last week when I saw some of the hills in Devon. There's no way I would be able to get up them unaided and the 24v system I had would have struggled.

Hi superDove,

I don't know of any custom fork makers apart from the 100mm American BMX one I mentioned in this thread but it would compromise the fold and shorten the wheelbase.

It would need some serious thought to design a custom one that would not effect the folding.

As mentioned by many members the eZee motor conversion provides probably the strongest UK sourced legal motor available.

I have just checked out John's site and from the description/pictures provided it looks like it might be possible to fit a 350rpm motor and the modular wiring harness into a stretched version of the original forks but you would have to be very careful with the delivery of the power to avoid over stressing the forks.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

Rather than having a custom front fork, you better extend the rear dropout to put a strong motor in it. Your bike will still fold, and climb any hill. And you won't fear breaking your forks. Weight will also be better distributed with batteries on the front.

This is my brompton with an 8T mac. It climbs 45 degree slope easily (but I only weight 65Kg). Get a 10T or 12T mac and you'll climb hill like they don't exist ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Anyone does know the answer?

Pat
The difference in speed comes from the way they wind the motor. Less turns of wire means more speed, more turns means slow speed. Each turn can be several wires, so a 10 turn with 12 strands will look the same as a 12 turn with 10 strands, but they behave differently.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
The difference in speed comes from the way they wind the motor. Less turns of wire means more speed, more turns means slow speed. Each turn can be several wires, so a 10 turn with 12 strands will look the same as a 12 turn with 10 strands, but they behave differently.
Thanks Dave. Do you know if both motors are internally the same? (SWXB and SWXK with same RPM)

Pat

D

Deleted member 4366

They're slightly different, but they both work the same. I've never noticed any difference in any of them performance-wise apart from the SWXU, which is much smaller. The SWXB has the advantage that it's easy to open. You need a special tool for the SWXK.