Any ideas? Thanks in advance

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Have you examined all of the connectors to make sure the pins are in good condition?

I use a magnifying glass for this.

Reactions: bosco

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes do check the Hall sensor block if it is the white 6 wire DJ7061, pins do a have a habit sometimes of backing out sometimes .

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
I dont understand, if everything is plugged out how is there an error still unless is sits with the controller or the controller head?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If that error means short on a phase wire, it could be that you have a blown MOSFET in the controller. If you want to be sure, search the forum for how to do a MOSFET test.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
You could try that if you don‘t have the ability to test the controller properly.

But you still could end up having the same problem. And create even more if you buy the wrong controller/display combination.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you can do some simple tests to narrow down the problem before replacing parts that may or may not be broken.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
You could try that if you don‘t have the ability to test the controller properly.

But you still could end up having the same problem. And create even more if you buy the wrong controller/display combination.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you can do some simple tests to narrow down the problem before replacing parts that may or may not be broken.
Can you explain what I'm doing with the multimeter? Everything is unplugged. I thought the error would be removed and identified if I removed each part? Now that isn't the case? If I have something blown in the controller, I'm not willing to open it up and start messing around at that level. Surely I could replace the controller and display?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A controller mosfet test is carried out via the Phase wire bullet connections in your pic and doesn't need battery, It takes approx . 5 mins max to do the test.
BlownMosfets.cdr (ebikes.ca)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
After all these posts we still don't know the bike he has.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
ike = bike.

It would be useful if you can post a photo of the label on the controller.

If you do decide to replace the controller it would be easier if you could get exactly the same, otherwise you may need to do some rewiring, which isn’t easy when you have to run wires through the frame.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Mosfets have two modes of failure, they can go either open circuit or short circuit.

A typical failure in a motor controller is a mosfet going short circuit and the simple test that Neal linked to will tell you that in just a few minutes.

We see a lot of people on this forum replace parts without doing simple tests first and then running into problems. So it’s best to do some testing first before spending money unnecessarily.

Also they are not aware of the need for component compatibility and they buy the wrong replacement parts.

Examples of this are replacement controllers that are incompatible with displays. Also the wiring is different for different makes of controllers so wiring a new one to the bike can be problematic for them.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and bosco

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Mosfets have two modes of failure, they can go either open circuit or short circuit.

A typical failure in a motor controller is a mosfet going short circuit and the simple test that Neal linked to will tell you that in just a few minutes.

We see a lot of people on this forum replace parts without doing simple tests first and then running into problems. So it’s best to do some testing first before spending money unnecessarily.

Also they are not aware of the need for component compatibility and they buy the wrong replacement parts.

Examples of this are replacement controllers that are incompatible with displays. Also the wiring is different for different makes of controllers so wiring a new one to the bike can be problematic for them.
I get, getting the correct parts bit. But I still don't get what the test will tell me. Will it tell me that my controller is broken, or will it tell what part on the bike is broken or both? As nothing is connected to the controller and I still have an error. So if I buy a equivalent controller with a display, would then the unknown broken part, break the controller again? I'm not sure I've worded that correctly, I hope I have.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
If the mosfet test fails then you will need a new controller. It is possible to replace the mosfets, but I don’t think that is something you could do. And there is no guarantee that will fix the problem because other more delicate components in the controller could also be damaged.

If the mosfet test passes then it is likely that your controller is ok and the fault lies elsewhere.

It could be a wiring fault, a problem with the display or a fault within the motor.

There are other more complex tests that can be carried out like hall sensor testing. And simple tests like proper continuity testing on each wire.

Knowing how to use a multimeter is essential for e-bike fault finding.

This is why most normal bicycle shops won’t attempt to fix e-bikes and also why Halfords are so bad at fixing the ebikes they sell.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A mosfet test will pin point if mosfets are the cause /issue as they tend to be the most common point of failure. Testing helps to save one wasting money they needn't have to spend.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
I'll have to dig out the multimeter on Saturday. I want to buy a better ebike at somepoint, so I might as well learn on this one. Back in the day I could build a decent bike or do pretty much all repairs with my eyes closed. But I'm totally new to this ebike setup.