Any ideas? Thanks in advance

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
You can't miss the connectors. They won't be hidden inside shrink-wrap.

If your switches are like in the photo in post #16, the lever needs to hold them down at rest. If they're up when you switch on the controller, you'll get an error code, which seems to be 0-2 from your description, so your fault probably isn't the brakes; however, you need to disconnect everything from the controller to find out what's causing the error, so pull it out, disconnect the brakes, pedal sensor, motor halls, and throttle, then plug them in one at a time to test which one gives the error, if any.
Agreed, sounds like a plan. I will have to disassemble the pannier rack first to get to the battery/controller housing as it will not just slide out as it is all hard wired. Hopefully I can get access to the controller and unplug things from there. I'm also going to try and call the support number on the user manual, but I'm not holding out much hope for that number to still be active.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brake sensor connectors are not found at the brake end , they are on the cable tail of the brakes . if moulded julet type connector they will terminate at the 1t4 multi connector or if sm connectors at the controller end.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Ok just got off the phone with the support people who tell me the error 2 is a motor issue. They could only give me basic troubleshooting, to disconnect the hub cable and reconnect, and check for bent pins and cable damage, which it has neither. After that as it is out of warranty they told me the only they can advise is to take it to a repair shop and have the hub replaced.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
I can't see how the motor would break after so little use. Is there anything I could do to troubleshoot the motor itself?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ok just got off the phone with the support people who tell me the error 2 is a motor issue. They could only give me basic troubleshooting, to disconnect the hub cable and reconnect, and check for bent pins and cable damage, which it has neither. After that as it is out of warranty they told me the only they can advise is to take it to a repair shop and have the hub replaced.
The motor isn't broken. It's a shame you didn't ask them which of the two motor problems I indicated above it was because that would have taken us more quickly to a solution. First, disconnect the motor to see if it goes away. Hopefully, you have a separate hall sensor connector to test, then we can determine whether it's hall sensor or phase problem. What about ringing them again and asking for a copy of the error codes?

Last edited:
Reactions: bosco

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
The motor isn't broken. It's a shame you didn't ask them which of the two motor problems I indicated above it was because that would have taken us more quickly to a solution. First, disconnect the motor to see if it goes away. Hopefully, you have a separate hall sensor connector to test, then we can determine whether it's hall sensor or phase problem. What about ringing them again and asking for a copy of the error codes?
Happy to call again, I disconnected the hub and the error did not go away.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Called the support number again, the lady spoke knew even less than the previous one, she was I insistant that I email. I emailed and they advised that I call them. I don't think I'm going to get very far with this company's support.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Yes, yellow, green and blue large wires are the motor phase wires.

The small wires going into the black connector are:

Red = 5 volts
Black = 0 volts
Blue, Yellow, Green = hall sensor outputs from motor
White = Speed or Temperature sensor output from motor

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Yes, yellow, green and blue large wires are the motor phase wires.

The small wires going into the black connector are:

Red = 5 volts
Black = 0 volts
Blue, Yellow, Green = hall sensor outputs from motor
White = Speed or Temperature sensor output from motor
Can I disconnect these to see if I'm having a cable issue rather than a motor issue?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
It’s worth disconnecting all of the connectors for a visual inspection to examine the pins.

It is not uncommon for the JST connectors to have a bad connection.

Sometimes just unplugging and plugging back in again fixes the problem.

I’m not a fan of using silicon sealant on those connectors. They are designed so the pins and sockets have a bit of movement so they make good contact when plugged together.

When the bike manufacturer puts silicon on for waterproofing it prevents them from moving, so you could get a bad contact.

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
It’s worth disconnecting all of the connectors for a visual inspection to examine the pi

I’m not a fan of using silicon sealant on those connectors. They are designed so the pins and sockets have a bit of movement so they make good contact when plugged together.

When the bike manufacturer puts silicon on for waterproofing it prevents them from moving, so you could get a bad contact.
Silicone sealant (bath stuff) - no. Silicone grease (specifically for electrics)- yes.
Makes it easier to pull the connectors apart and keeps moisture out. Just need a smear needed around the plug mating surfaces.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Can I disconnect these to see if I'm having a cable issue rather than a motor issue?
When you disconnect the phase wires, it will probably give an error. when you disconnect the halls, your existing error might go away.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Unplugged the sensor and all the phase wires for the motor at the controler and still got the error.

bosco

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2024
Ok. So unplugged every thing except the control head/disply and controller, still got the error? Is the controler at fault?