You always need to be on guard

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Moment Glasgow councillor is almost 'knocked from bike' in near-miss with car
In the video, a car almost strikes Paul McCabe when the driver fails to give way as the councillor cycles his e-bike on a southside roundabout. After the incident, Cllr McCabe pulled into a car park to calm down

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Moment Glasgow councillor is almost 'knocked from bike' in near-miss with car
In the video, a car almost strikes Paul McCabe when the driver fails to give way as the councillor cycles his e-bike on a southside roundabout. After the incident, Cllr McCabe pulled into a car park to calm down

The guy must be a wuss. That sort of thing happens to me nearly every time I ride my bike, especially if I wear a dayglo jacket.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
He was alongside enough on the wrong side of the road to cause her to look twice as the van's sudden presence alarmed her.
He was driving behind her and turned right. He was NOT overtaking her. At no point he was closer than 2m from cyclist. He was NOT on the wrong side of the road.

Reactions: robert44

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The guy must be a wuss. That sort of thing happens to me nearly every time I ride my bike, especially if I wear a dayglo jacket.
Probably true, indeed I commented earlier on the nervous nature of a woman cyclist which made a contribution to her accident.

But I think we need to change that thinking. The roads are for everyone, from the overlessly nervous to the supremely over confident and they should all feel safe as well be safe using them.

The 29th January 2022 changes to the Highway Code has made a start in that direction but it's clearly not enough. We all need to stop accepting the status quo and start expecting much higher standards of care for vulnerable road users, even those whose nervousness adds to their vulnerability.

Reactions: thelarkbox

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He was driving behind her and turned right. He was NOT overtaking her. At no point he was closer than 2m from cyclist. He was NOT on the wrong side of the road.
He was alongside her as he turned right, having caught up with her. That is what caused her to take a brief double look as she was startled by his presence.

Look at the narrow width of the road. If you are right that there was 2 metres space as the front of the van was alongside her at the turn, and you are right, there clearly was, he had to be onto the wrong side and cutting the corner, given the width of the van.

This is point at which she looked around as she was startled by the van's presence alongside, you can clearly see the side of her face. He had no need to be there, startling her. A sensible driver would have eased off a fraction and not reached that danger point in the middle of a junction:

Proximity.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We cyclists can't go about stopping at junctions when we have the right of way, there should be a highway code or somesuch. Can't get anything done stopping all the time. How many drivers drive drunk? Oodles, any time day or night. Out of those many near misses you experience every day (used to happen to me all the time too, but not since I installed flashing 6000LM beamed headlights), it only takes one drunk one to be a life altering direct hit with bonus rollover.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He didn't cut the corner. Look at this picture:

View attachment 59974
So it was a very sharp curve to the right, but still on a road junction where he'd caught up to be alongside her , unnecessarily causing her to be startled enough to take a double look at the van. By the time she looked ahead again she was already colliding with the front corner of the car which ran her over.

It was abundantly clear what sort of cyclist she was. If he'd sensibly hung back momentarily she wouldn't have been caused to look right at the crucial point and could well have avoided going in front of that car to be run over. That was his clear contribution to the accident.

This is what the changes we've been seeing are all about, the 2022 changes to the highway code, the 20mph zones all over the country, the Play Streets, all intended to give the vulnerable far greater protection. But that won't be achieved while we have road users still thinking it's ok to frighten the nervous and vulnerable. The roads are for everyone and all road users thinking needs to change in line with these changes in our governance.

Thanks to the EU, the whole of Europe achieved a near miracle in the reduction of road deaths between 1970 and the present. In our own case in Britain we'd complacently been killing around 7500 a year through the 1960s, to 7499 in 1970.

Since then it's steadily been reducing to under 1700 a year now, but to reduce that further requires us to change, not just the rules. The old acceptance of what is good enough road behaviour is no longer valid, and that is what I am applying here. It appears to me that you, like too many, are applying pre 2022 judgement on what is acceptable driving.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
That was his clear contribution to the accident.
Lets agree to disagree.

Perhaps you could try to help us understand why he received only 3 years ban on driving?

I found one interesting comment:

"
Haslemere being my town there plenty of talk, and my understanding is he was coaching kids all morning. hopefully a DBS check was required as there's no way I'd want him around my family.

There's now a sign at the exit of the car park (that's what the driver was leaving) reminding drivers to give way, but that's not much use if you're too pissed to read.
"

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
doc said might not be able to paddle bike again :oops: :(

T-90_Bhisma_cropped.jpg

i need a mobility roller :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lets agree to disagree.
Agreed.

Perhaps you could try to help us understand why he received only 3 years ban on driving?
Probably all part of our schizophrenic thinking about alcohol:

We mustn't drink and drive but allow and even encourage pubs and licenced premises to have vehicle parks.

We have whole isles of supermarkets full of alcohol, teaching our kids from babyhood onwards that drinking alcohol is as normal and essential as eating food.

We use alcohol to celebrate.

We often regard drunken behaviour as funny.

As a teetotaller, in my world those wouldn't exist, but it is what it is.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You always need to be on guard
She was. Many drivers brake late at junctions. It's a reasonable assumption that a driver would give way at the dotted lines, she turned when it looked like he wasn't going to. It's also a reasonable assumption that the driver would stop upon seeing a previously unnoticed cyclist directly in front. He didn't bother to look to right, but might have with flashing bright lights in his peripheral vision, even in his drunken state, and might have stopped a bit sooner.

She looks over at the driver and turns...

She looks ahead - she's not pedalling, her feet haven't moved.

Enlarged. She looks to her left and turns right.

So it was a very sharp curve to the right, but still on a road junction where he'd caught up to be alongside her , unnecessarily causing her to be startled enough to take a double look at the van. By the time she looked ahead again she was already colliding with the front corner of the car which ran her over.

It was abundantly clear what sort of cyclist she was. If he'd sensibly hung back momentarily she wouldn't have been caused to look right at the crucial point and could well have avoided going in front of that car to be run over. That was his clear contribution to the accident.

This is what the changes we've been seeing are all about, the 2022 changes to the highway code, the 20mph zones all over the country, the Play Streets, all intended to give the vulnerable far greater protection. But that won't be achieved while we have road users still thinking it's ok to frighten the nervous and vulnerable. The roads are for everyone and all road users thinking needs to change in line with these changes in our governance.

Thanks to the EU, the whole of Europe achieved a near miracle in the reduction of road deaths between 1970 and the present. In our own case in Britain we'd complacently been killing around 7500 a year through the 1960s, to 7499 in 1970.

Since then it's steadily been reducing to under 1700 a year now, but to reduce that further requires us to change, not just the rules. The old acceptance of what is good enough road behaviour is no longer valid, and that is what I am applying here. It appears to me that you, like too many, are applying pre 2022 judgement on what is acceptable driving.
I don't think the van made any difference to the outcome.

BTW Here's the video again, because the original link doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

WARNING DISTRESSING VIDEO!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

https://x.com/SurreyPolice/status/1657036556379496452

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
SUE, SUE , SUE the lady cyclist needs to take the driver to the cleaners and make sure he pays . 2yrs 3 months is nothing for such a callous piece of driving .

If she make shis life hell , then so be it .
I have no time for callous drunken drivers.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I had most of my larger bowel removed before my inherited defective genetic gene caused any cancer issues.
Apparently the human digestive system does not like major interference and goes on strike and then begins a slow reboot process , in between that happening events are a bit scary if not closely monitored .

I was in the East Wing of East Surrey Hospital and all the staff from the catering side, cleaning staff , assitants and nurses were absolutley amazing, considerate , caring and ultra professional .
Every one on shift got a massive hug from mean as I left and I can't simply put in to words how brilliant they were.
Blimey that's major excision. I didn't know they did pre-emptive surgery for bowel cancer because of defective genes. What have they replaced it with? I don't know much about this stuff, but a friend of mine died of bowel cancer - more correctly it started in soft tissue elsewhere, was treated, but then spread like wildfire through soft tissue into other locations and eventually into her bowels. Had rather a lot removed, but I don't know the details. Colostomy bag.

BTW Synthetic opioid painkillers they routinely prescribe now, cause constipation. Very addictive, I had to wean myself off them ASAP after a tumour was removed.

If you haven't already, I hope you make a full recovery soon.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm at home recovering been home 9 days now.
85/90% of my large bowel removed inc the colon , the first part of the bowel from the anus is called the Sigmoid which they have left intact and connected straight to my small intestine.
I can't store poop in my system now for much more then 6 - 12 hours , before the op my consultant surgeon went thru the options and I/we decided against a stoma bag.
If cancer had developed then they would have removed the bowel 100% and the anus.
Yes preemptive surgery is available if a condition is known, it is to prevent cancer developing in the first place and spreading.
I lost my mum at 52, my sister at 49 and my mums littler brother died at 44, all unknowingly had the defective mutated gene in their DNA as I have. All of their cancers also spread thru the body , lymph nodes, liver etc etc.
The defective gene comes from my maternal side of the family and history from family research shows a lot of early age deaths in the family.
The science research paper around the bowel cancer cause was only published in 1992 and I only knew I had the defective gene after my sister died in 2009, the gentics team at Guy's took an interest in my sisters case and thru family records linked her to mum and then me, etc,etc/
A simple blood test confirmed all they needed to know as they knew where to look in the DNA sequence to find the defective gene.

The surgery it self went 100% perfectly well , it was post op where I had major issues and wasn't far from not making it. According to Clive opposite me who was 19 years my senior (much the same surgery) , I had nursing staff and docs buzzing around me endlessly night and day for nearly six days before my condition stabalised and improved.
Shows how quick the body can recover , I walked out of the ward four days later in to a wheel chair and then off home.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm starting to eat a bit more now , now that my stomach is accepting food.
Diet is a bland low fibre one until my digestive system and what's remaning of my bowels can handle the waste into proper matter again.
Lots or white pasta , tuna, some egg, white bread, cheese, cauli and brocc cheese, mash spuds, lidl's rice crispies, ice cream, yoghurts and soft milk based puddings, cake and biscuits.
Ditched lactose free milk altogether now and have found Oatly sugar free type milk and the Barrista variety absolutely yummy in coffee and with cereal , the slightly creamier taste is lovely.

Daylight hours I only visit the loo one or twice but night time I'm up four or five times as the body is in relaxed/rest mode.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Until I get a final say so from my consultant surgeon in six to eight weeks I am not allowed to strain or lift anything weighty , ride my bikes or even drive a car.