wire location

joshyorr

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 20, 2024
hello hopefully someone can help me identify where this wire is supposed to go and what it does ,the brown wire.It goes to the center of the round JULet plug coming out of theJ-LCD KING METER control display. 594285943059431

Attachments

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
hmm
#1 with no power connected test continuity with a multimeter between the black (ground?) wire in the display plug? and the loose brown wire..
and fingers crossed for a beep ;) that indicates its a common ground connection.

both the brake and throttle plugs look 1 wire short to me .. any sign of loose wire strands in either?? do corresponding sockets have fully populated contacts, or??

how does the bike respond now when the brown wire is disconnected, everything but the brake cut off or throttle working would be a big clue ;)

Reactions: joshyorr

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
just isolate the loose wire with some tape and testing the bike system will have no detrimental effects other than aspects not connected correctly wont work ;)

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Also send pic #1 above to the supplier for advice.. if a reputable kit seller they should send out a replacement pdq on that evidence alone..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Brown, by a process of elimination, must be battery power for lights. You can test that with a meter when you have the LCD connected. Don't forget that you need a ground for the throttle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brown is battery voltage or 5v.
Use a meter and find out which it is when probe to Gnd.

The wiring looks to me like a Woosh set up , if that is the case the Brown isn't used and simply needs isolating.

Last edited:

joshyorr

Aug 20, 2024
hmm
#1 with no power connected test continuity with a multimeter between the black (ground?) wire in the display plug? and the loose brown wire..
and fingers crossed for a beep ;) that indicates its a common ground connection.

both the brake and throttle plugs look 1 wire short to me .. any sign of loose wire strands in either?? do corresponding sockets have fully populated contacts, or??

how does the bike respond now when the brown wire is disconnected, everything but the brake cut off or throttle working would be a big clue ;)
[/QUO
hmm

hello and thanks, no pins with missing or sign's of broken wires, only started looking at the wires and saw the brown wire on its own because the bike was very jerky when using the throttle when setting off. I traced the loose wire back to the centre pin on the main display loom but I cannot see where it should go on the brushless controller.

joshyorr

Aug 20, 2024
Brown is battery voltage or 5v.
Use a meter and find out which it is when probe to Gnd.

The wiring looks to me like a Woosh set up , if that is the case the Brown isn't used and simply needs isolating.
thanks it is a woposh, so you think it's fine to tape and leave, was hoping it would fix the jerky throttle when connected to the correct place. also there's only 3 fat wires coming from the motor. could this be a reason for the throttle being jerky , feels like it doesn't know where it's meant to start off thanks

joshyorr

Aug 20, 2024
hmm

brakes cut of fine, rides ok with pedal assistance, just jerky and stalls sometimes when setting of from a standstill , when moving throttle is fine

joshyorr

Aug 20, 2024
thanks it is a woposh, so you think it's fine to tape and leave, was hoping it would fix the jerky throttle when connected to the correct place. also there's only 3 fat wires coming from the motor. could this be a reason for the throttle being jerky , feels like it doesn't know where it's meant to start off thanks

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's not a Woposh, it's a Woosh bike. Your motor is sensorless. Some controllers don't work very well sensorless. That's why it doesn't start up well. You need to pedal it to get the motor turning first, otherwise you can damage the controller. Never give it power if the motor is stuck.

Why are you messing with this bike? What have you changed?

Last edited:

joshyorr

Aug 20, 2024
not changed anything it was my mums and it's been sat in the garage, just wanted to find out why it didn't set of smooth , then I found this loose brown wire and thought it must have come loose.

joshyorr

Aug 20, 2024
wanted to make sure it was all OK before I give it to my sister, I have not fitted a throttle it came from the shop like that years ago.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right then thanks for the update confirmation.
As I said the Brown is unused in that case then so simply insulate the end with heat shrink.
The controller is as always a Lishui speed controller and as mentioned a sensorless motor and controller, the bike is likely some 8 -10 years old or so.
Throttle wise it is harsh and operation is all or nothing.

The lishui set up used on your bike (Santana /Santana petite ? ) is the same as the Bigbear and BPM kit of old from Woosh.

Last edited:

joshyorr

Aug 20, 2024
thanks so much that's very helpful, would a different controller make it any smoother, do you have any idea what that brown wire could have been used for or is it always surplus .are these motors any good or just old tec now thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
thanks so much that's very helpful, would a different controller make it any smoother, do you have any idea what that brown wire could have been used for or is it always surplus .are these motors any good or just old tec now thanks.
Not sure what the brown would be used for , except it is usually a voltage colour, as Saneagle has mentioned likely an auxillary for lights or similar which isn't used.
Does it carry any voltage at all when tested ?

Andy at Woosh would be able to give you the definitive answer.

Last edited:

joshyorr

Aug 20, 2024
thanks I will have a look, do i contact Andy on here or by calling woosh
thanks again sorry for all the questions what are your thoughts on a different controller for smoother pulling away. any type I should be looking for if possible.

Advertisers