Windows PC to Mac

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yes, that is sad. :p

Back in the 1960s Anthony Newley once said "Stop the world, I want to get off".

I can imagine how he felt and have been determined to retain the option of being incommunicado. So I've established a marker line beyond which I won't go. That puts beyond bounds always carrying any mobile communication device or using social networking.

I do have a mobile, it's a phone only, almost permanently switched off, and I only carry it on journeys to cover emergency situations.

No its not lol.... come on Flecc.....join the Samsung Galaxy club......dont you want to be tempted.....deep down.....just a teeny teeny little bit......go on, you can admit it to us.....we wont tell anyone.....promise....:D

Lynda :)

C

Cyclezee

Tony,

That reminds me slightly of my wicked stepmother, about once a year or annually if you prefer, she asks me to top up the credit on her mobile. When It always has £10 of credit, that is because it sits in a drawer switched off and never goes anywhere. Her reasoning is it is there just incase the landline goes down.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a sensible lady John! I make a phone call once every three months to ensure the SIM doesn't get cancelled and credit lost, but for me the phone is just emergency protection, it's ideal use.

Lynda, I really appreciate the advanced technology of such as the Samsung Galaxy S11 and love gadgets, but for me it would be a nuisance while not helping me in any way. When I'm out in the countryside, quiet and just about to take a wildlife photo, the last thing I want is phone call tones/vibration or even to answer a call. Nor do I want to be disturbed when out walking and deep in thought, and I've never felt the need to tell anyone that I'm in Tesco.

And I doubt anyone really wants to know that anyway!

C

Cyclezee

I'm totally hooked, but empathise with you Tony. How many times have I had both hands occupied and unable to answer the thing, but at the same time wondering who it was and having to ring back as soon as I can to satisfy my curiosity.
e.g. New Years eve, my wife and I are in the cinema, the phone is on silent, but my son trys to call 3 times within 5 minutes just to find out where we are, not life,death or something more urgent:mad:..........thank goodness.

In my other guise, I do have to carry a phone due to on call commitments and a quick call can often quickly resolve what might have been a difficult issue.

Like them or loath them. mobile phones are part of life.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like them or loath them. mobile phones are part of life.
With more than one per person on the planet, they certainly are. For many like yourself they are incredibly useful in both business and highly active social lives, especially when with 3G, but large numbers of us don't fit those profiles. It's often surprised me how many have inactive phones like me, just for emergency cover.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That is interesting Tillson, prior to getting my latest all singing and dancing Samsung Galaxy SII smartphone, I used a the Nokia 6310i purely for calls and texting and had a GiffGaff sim, it was really excellent value for money with freecalls and texts to other people on GiffGaff.

If you only want a few calls and texts GiffGaff is the way to go.

I guess we all remember the days the pre mobile days and how we lived quite happily without them. Now, I can't live with out my Galaxy within grasp, how sad is that?
GiffGaff is very good, especially their GoodyBags. £10/ month now gets you uncapped & unlimited data, unlimited text messages and 250 cross-network minutes.

However, I have just come across a TMobile sim only deal which is £6 / month for 300 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data. It is a 12 month contract though.

I find that I never exceed more than 200 mins per month, so these deals are ideal for me. Virtually all of my internet access for things like this forum is done on a mobile device. It's great to be able to be able to dip into the forum & email to knock out a post or a reply whilst having a moment to spare. I would be lost without mobile data.

Advertisers