Which saddle do you use?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Did you stick with the saddle which came with your bike or have you bought a specific saddle? Which one and why? Wondering if you also have a saddle you keep putting on any new bikes?

Like the Brooks saddles.... But ouch for months I think..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Never stick with the supplied saddles. Sounds odd but over the years I have learnt the exact profile to suit my behind.

Wide, flat topped racing saddle with minimal padding suits me. Others find generously padded gel suits.
Each to their own.

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
I like wide and soft on my electric armchair bike wots got pedals, lol

Search for big bum saddles :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
I like the Brooks b67 aged. It was comfortable from the start and can confirm the counter intuitive idea that soft saddles are more uncomfortable (on longer rides). For me, Parallelogram suspension seat posts are also another important adjunct to rider comfort. I noticed that Suntour are producing their version again which is much cheaper than a Thudbuster. It's an individual thing however because it depends on the width of your sit bones and also riding position.

I have about 6 other plastic saddles none of which I like apart from one old style mattress comfort saddle that was pleasant on shorter rides.

Brooks Aged B67

Suntour seat post SP12-NCX

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Like the Brooks saddles.... But ouch for months I think..
I had a Brooks many years ago, which took years to break in. I then went for all sorts of other saddles but could never get one that was really comfortable - the best was OK rather than great.

Then, I got a B17 about a year ago, and to my amazement, it was instantly comfortable after a bit of preliminary treatment with Proofide. It's so good that I got another one off eBay for my other bike, and that's just as good. They are wide enough to support your bum properly, and the slippery leather means your shorts or trousers don't rub on the saddle.

I'm a convert, after 50 years of doubting :)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I use one of these (or its immediate predecessor), picked up as NOS for a song on ebagum...
Senso
Remarkably comfortable, especially combined with front suspension and a fat rear tyre.

I recently purchased one of these, but need to find an adaptor bracket..
Brooks B66 Kernledersattel Men

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Well I treated myself (I think!) to a Brooks B17 ladies S saddle in black .. Unfortunately no aged ladies saddle in black with attachments for straps for my recently bought Carradice little saddle bag.... Still it's a challenge for me to think I have to break it in by cycling....! have my dad's old Brooks saddle on his bike in the attic but not brave enough, being female also!

Main problem at moment is finding 'decent' waterproof trousers (breathable) , not over trousers, that fit me and are baggy instyle .. I will get back to 'normal' skinny lycra honest honest I am not kidding myself... Sighs.....

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
I found with the b17 the horizontal positioning is absolutely critical. Uncomfortable unless exactly right. It does take time for the posterior to become imprinted with the b17 shape as well. V nice saddle then however.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Gave up on the B17, absolutely no good for my derriere even after 500+ miles, stuck with Specialized saddles since and had no comfort issues...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Another plus for the B17. I now have two. I coated top and underneath with proofide and left it overnight. I now coat the top every couple of months or so. I would say there was some discomfort for about 2-300 miles but as I do 50+ a week it didn't take long to break in and now its like the saddle is not even there. Whilst other saddles can be comfortable from the start after a couple of years you find they wear and become uncomfortable, whereas the Brooks just gets more and more comfortable as it gets older. As I said I don't even think about my Brooks saddle now where on my original Brompton saddle, after a couple of years I began to have to shift my weight to get comfortable during a ride.

This bike has a standard black B17 one now as this one (the special with larger rivets) went on and looks better on my white Brompton.

If you hunt around you can get the standard B17 for around £50, especially when Halfords has 20% off.

Jerry

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
My personal recommendation is the B17 ,tho' there are other butt leather saddles out there , I found it was best to go with painted saddle rails . the chrome ones an fracture , replaced gratis by Brooks when that happned, provie I sent the broken one back.