Which motor will get me up hills easily?

lieinking1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2023
I have a rear drive motor e bike but it can't get me up some hills. I'm 100kg without much stamina. I have seen on youtube some of the electric mountain bikes in high gears going up pretty steep muddy hills. I'm not planning on going off road but I'd like to be able to get up steep ish hills without much effort, even if it is slowly. I've been thinking to get one of those ebikes with a bosch motor because the bosch motors and their torque are stated on that website, and these bikes say which motor is on them. So I'm wondering with my weight how many NM of torque I will need on one of these motors to get up hills easily? Or even on other motors.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a rear drive motor e bike but it can't get me up some hills. I'm 100kg without much stamina. I have seen on youtube some of the electric mountain bikes in high gears going up pretty steep muddy hills. I'm not planning on going off road but I'd like to be able to get up steep ish hills without much effort, even if it is slowly. I've been thinking to get one of those ebikes with a bosch motor because the bosch motors and their torque are stated on that website, and these bikes say which motor is on them. So I'm wondering with my weight how many NM of torque I will need on one of these motors to get up hills easily? Or even on other motors.
Post details of what exactly you already have, motor, controller and battery, so that we can propose options.

You need more power, which doesn't necessarily mean you need a new motor. It's not the motor that determines the power you get, it's the controller, and the battery needs to be able to provide the power.

In some cases, you can get what you need with what you have for no additional cost.

lieinking1

Aug 28, 2023
Post details of what exactly you already have, motor, controller and battery, so that we can propose options.

You need more power, which doesn't necessarily mean you need a new motor. It's not the motor that determines the power you get, it's the controller, and the battery needs to be able to provide the power.

In some cases, you can get what you need with what you have for no additional cost.
The bike is an ADO AIR 20.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Just so we get an idea of the gradient , could you say which hill you are struggling with at the minute ? We can check how steep it is and how much power you would need to get up

lieinking1

Aug 28, 2023
I suspect the fact that it has a torque sensor and you say you have little stamina that is the problem. A Bosch motor won't solve that problem. Also as @Peter.Bridge said, single gear doesn't help either .
I thought a mid drive motor with gears would solve the problem if it has high enough torque like 70+ NM. Or would that still be a struggle to get up hills?

lieinking1

Aug 28, 2023

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Folders are designed to be small and foldable. They are not powerful machines.
Single gear on hills is a disaster.