Wheels Manufacturing Bafang Outer M33 E-bike Lockring Tool

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
I'm posting a review of the Wheels Manufacturing Bafang Outer M33 E-bike Lockring Tool here because I can't find an official place to add a review.
Maybe Google will pick this thread up for others to see.

Just bought one of these from Bikeparts.UK to install a Lekkie Onenut.
The genuine Lekkie Sixteen-44 sockets are all out of stock in the UK, so I bought this thinking it would suit the task.
Thought I'd let you know what I found out before anyone buys one for the same purpose.

It is only advertised as a Bafang Outer Lockring tool socket, and I don't know if it is well made enough for that purpose.

The reason being the 16 notch section that locates over the nut is only deep enough for the original Bafang outer lockring.
This now makes sense, as it fits just the Bafang outer perfectly and needs be no deeper for that job.
When placed over a Lekkie Onenut the socket only covers the outer section, above the laser cut slots that allow the expansion of the Onenut by the grub screws, to lock it against the motor shaft sleeve threads.
If you hold a Onenut sideways up to the light you will see light through the slot.
That means all the torque would go into the relatively small (10mm each) solid sections connecting the Onenut front to the back.

That is not an experiment I am willing to try at 80Nm.

The genuine Lekkie Sixteen-44 has a deeper notched cup that encompasses the whole Onenut, and therefore spreads the pressure evenly across both Onenut sections.

Buyer beware and look carefully when you buy a socket like this. Don't make the mistake I made.
The Wheels M33 socket is going back unused for a refund, and the hunt goes on for a Lekki socket.

See comparison photos:

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
Cheers @Raboa, but that one is Sold Out.
I have phoned to ask when they will re-stock (unsure) and check online daily.
There are European stockists, but they cost about £70 when shipping is added.
Until Brighton Bike re-stock, I have ordered a second mounting kit, to run 2 inner lockrings.

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
You probably know but
44/16 is common size for shimano bb, I bought mine from ali express, loads to choose from , cheap as chips. Look for deep reach.
The std baf inner m33 44/ 4 prong is harder to find, I bought same brand (wheels maf) and it’s dear but perfect.
I have a few mid bafs, one of which is in 73mm bb bike, shimmied out for case clearance to chainstay, no room for locknut so I use 4 prong m33 only.
When you do the nut up tight with socket it does not come loose, no need for locknut at all. Lots of rough off road and thousands of miles proven.
I hadn’t heard of this lekkie one nut and possibly would have bought one then, . Perhaps still will, not for grub screw alone but I hate heavy steel nut that goes rusty as soon as it sees water. Anodised alloy nut would be nice

Reactions: SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
You probably know but
44/16 is common size for shimano bb, I bought mine from ali express, loads to choose from , cheap as chips. Look for deep reach.
The std baf inner m33 44/ 4 prong is harder to find, I bought same brand (wheels maf) and it’s dear but perfect.
I have a few mid bafs, one of which is in 73mm bb bike, shimmied out for case clearance to chainstay, no room for locknut so I use 4 prong m33 only.
When you do the nut up tight with socket it does not come loose, no need for locknut at all. Lots of rough off road and thousands of miles proven.
I hadn’t heard of this lekkie one nut and possibly would have bought one then, . Perhaps still will, not for grub screw alone but I hate heavy steel nut that goes rusty as soon as it sees water. Anodised alloy nut would be nice
The Onenut may still not fit as it is only a slightly smaller profile than the Bafang inner+outer.
I originally thought the grub screws went all the way through to bite against the hanger plate.
But the screw only goes half way in, as far as the back half of the Onenut, so acts as a spreader/tensioner.
To work as a thread tensioner there would still need to be enough threads for the outer section to bite against.
This guy has a short vid on your problem, and seems to know what he's on about.

The Wheels Manufacturing inner socket is on the way to me from Swinnerton Cycles.
I have scoured AliExpress for a cheaper 'deep tooth' socket, but there seems to be only the BBB type one that looks too shallow to allow for the axle.
I know you can remove the axle temporarily to get around this, but I really don't want to.
If you have seen a suitable socket, can you post a link.

Last edited:

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
Sorry, I’m away from my workshop, mine is probably not deep splined as I had no reason to look for one, but I did see multiple options, Zitto etc
Any with 32mm hex drive should be boreable to clear axle.
some are sold as
Bafang specific, 44/16 fits later mid drives too
It might be worth checking Park Tools site, if Park make deep spline one then just look for cheap snide park replica on aliexpress (or buy the Park one )
You’ll be fine with Baf inner M33 done up tight with socket though — rust issue won’t stop it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyMonkey

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I wonder if a M33 nut or half nut could be used instead of the original locknuts