Wheel Building Help

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
sjs cycles do 14g 132mm or 134mm spokes (including nipple) for 50p each.

I bought the rims from sjs

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Just to point out that the calculation and build video's from e.bike.ca are hub motor secific. Most calculators deal with standard wheel hub builds only.

Reactions: warlord0

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
In the end, I chickened out of building it myself.

I got a price from a local bike mech, who ghosted me when I wanted it done. Found another "Ezo Cycles" in Coventry. Kwok was a really helpful guy, came and collected my wheels. There was a bit of a delay as the spoke supplier was on holiday. It was worth the wait to get Sapim spoke and brass nipples. After the terrible corroded and broken state of the original Wisper spokes and rims, getting the wheels back today straight, round and strong, the test ride was pleasantly smooth and all good.

I took the opportunity to upgrade disks to 180/160 from the original 160/160's. Added some spacers to make it happen. Changed the chain ring, arms and pedals too. The chain ring upgraded from 148 to 153T and the arms 170mm from 160mm, a little more human torque. Fatter MTB pedals, losing the folding versions. This might be a problem on the train, but we'll find out on Tuesday.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
In the end, I chickened out of building it myself.

I got a price from a local bike mech, who ghosted me when I wanted it done. Found another "Ezo Cycles" in Coventry. Kwok was a really helpful guy, came and collected my wheels. There was a bit of a delay as the spoke supplier was on holiday. It was worth the wait to get Sapim spoke and brass nipples. After the terrible corroded and broken state of the original Wisper spokes and rims, getting the wheels back today straight, round and strong, the test ride was pleasantly smooth and all good.

I took the opportunity to upgrade disks to 180/160 from the original 160/160's. Added some spacers to make it happen. Changed the chain ring, arms and pedals too. The chain ring upgraded from 148 to 153T and the arms 170mm from 160mm, a little more human torque. Fatter MTB pedals, losing the folding versions. This might be a problem on the train, but we'll find out on Tuesday.

View attachment 59476
Well, how much were the spokes and how much was the wheel build? What was the total?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
I use these well made and very robust MKS FD-7 folding pedals. Much better than the plasticy and slippy Dahon originals.

"Useful for public transport is, when pedals fold do. Cut with lightsabre no need! Save power and wupiupi!"
Yoda

The original pedals were welgo? I found them for £3 a pair on Ali.

I certainly like the feel of the bigger pedals. Thanks for the pointer if I go back to folding.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The original pedals were welgo? I found them for £3 a pair on Ali.
Those...

...look identical to these, which look less slippy than the original Dahons:

Spotted these alloy folding pedals. Lightweight...

...but footplate edges don't look as grippy as the MKS FD-7. Very rare for my feet to slip off them, only happens when bouncing over large deep potholes at high speed.

Last edited: