What do you wear?

Tony Youens

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 26, 2006
Ripley, Derbyshire
I've been trying to make more use of my Brompton Nano but I find I'm put off by even the merest hint of rain (what a wimp!). This is in no small part because I work in an office and I don't want to sit in soggy clothes all day. Part of the attraction of an electric bike is that I can wear my normal clothing and not arrive in a sweaty heap.

The unpredictable UK weather means I'm not sure if I'll get too hot, too cold or too wet. So I'm wondering what others do?

By the way I don't have anywhere to leave clothes at work.

Cheers,

Tony

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
When wet, a Timberlake waterproof anorak which I've had for years and a pair of £10 overtrousers. Keep spare socks and shoes at work. Keeps me dry.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
In an absolute heavy downpour, you will get a bit wet. I sometimes use a cheap all in one waterproof suit designed for motorcyclists. These can be had for as little as £20. If your commute is relatively short, and not too exposed to winds, consider a traditional cycle cape. About £10 from Wilco. Not recommended in high winds, they can blow up over your head.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I've been trying to make more use of my Brompton Nano but I find I'm put off by even the merest hint of rain (what a wimp!). This is in no small part because I work in an office and I don't want to sit in soggy clothes all day. Part of the attraction of an electric bike is that I can wear my normal clothing and not arrive in a sweaty heap.

The unpredictable UK weather means I'm not sure if I'll get too hot, too cold or too wet. So I'm wondering what others do?

By the way I don't have anywhere to leave clothes at work.

Cheers,

Tony
I solved the problem, just bought a washing machine and tumbler drier. Plumbed in, add a few wall hooks and all works well.

Goes without saying, you generally need to work for your self or have a cycle orientated boss for this option to work.

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
I leave a weeks worth of shirts and suits at work. Every Monday I drive in, replacing my old clothes with clean new ones.

I would find it a bit restrictive riding in with a suit and shirt on anyway.

mr_chompers

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2010
I won the genetic lottery in that I do not sweat from bicycling. It takes an extreme amount of exercise for me to perspire, and I never ever get to the point of dripping, never had wet armpits either.

I like layers. I have a windbraker type cycle jacket I use most days, and I have a waterproof very lightweight shell I can add if it is raining more than a light misting. Then I have lightweight waterproof pants, and booties that velcro over my shoes. This way if all I want to do is cover my shoes, I can leave my legs open to the air, or I can just have a jacket if I am not worried about legs and shoes. All of it folds up nicely into a little sling bag I wear on my back on days where the weather forecast is questionable, but the morning ride seems dry.

Tony Youens

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 26, 2006
Ripley, Derbyshire
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I don't have the option of leaving much at work, although at a pinch I might be able to store a pair of shoes in a locker.

I'd buy a ticket for the genetic lottery but I think I'm too late.

Since writing I did manage to get quite a good jacket at Millets today for a measley £20. However fate seems to decree that if I wear a suitable jacket the sun will shine at it's very brightest. Whereas not to take a jacket... well you can guess.

In fact I'm beginning to think I'm personally responsible for the wet summers we're having. :confused:

Thanks again.

Tony

Advertisers