What 12v inverterdo I need?

emjaiuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2011
NW Surrey TW17
I hope posting here is ok, I dont seem to be able to post in the Technical Forum.:confused:

I've got a Pro-Rider E-Tourer bike, 36v, 10amp, which I'm very happy and satisfied with. My charger is marked up 240v/1.8amp input, and 42v/1.8amp output.
What size and type inverter do I need to recharge the battery from my MH 12v leisure batteries? I only intend to use it whilst driving.

I'd also be interested to know how to calculate the answer.

Malcolm

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I'm sorry your posts seemed to have been missed. This sort of question is usually dealt with speedily.

Your charger needs an inverter of a minimum of 432w. This is calculated simply by the formula: watts = volts x amps. So 240v x 1.8amps = 432w.

I've tried a whole array of inverters from China in my motorhome and usually without success. You would think a Chinese inverter marked "500w" would do the job for you but I'd predict it won't - it'll either have the overload buzzer screaming at you or it'll simply burn out.

I'd buy a 600w inverter from a reputable supplier in the UK and just buy once, which is what I did in the end (in my case I bought a 1000w unit).

If you follow the morotorhome scene, you'll know people like RoadPro and Vanbitz etc who'll sell you good gear with a warranty.

Advertisers