UK - legality of thumb-throttles in DIY conversions

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
The law is plainly an ass, not just in the UK but all over Europe. If those Amazon semi-mopeds are legal, and my poxy little e-bike that has a throttle is not, it is just a ridiculous state of affairs. I really do not care about the niceties of a total dog's breakfast pieces of legislation that nobody really understands, let alone the DVLA, DFT or any local plod. I just want to use my throttle from a standing start so I don't wobble all over the place and starting off on gradients, let alone when starting after a sudden stop because some wally on the pavement cannot lift their heads from their 'phone and steps out in front of me, and I'm starting off in the highest gear. I'll continue to use my throttle to keep me safe, I really don't care if I'm breaking this unclear law.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I just want to use my throttle from a standing start so I don't wobble all over the place and starting off on gradients
Is the TSDZ2's 6kph walk mode useful for that? Or is 6kph too slow? I don't have a TSDZ2, but looking at the OSF configurator screen, it appears you can set the throttle power to "Street Mode" and set that limit high, for high powered walk assist to 6kph. If there's a long lag between the end of walk mode and the beginning of pedal assist, like there currently is (or was - haven't tested new settings yet because a new piano blocks my hallway) on my BBS01B, of course walk assist for those purposes would be useless.

To be clear, I don't own a TSDZ2, and "Walk assist on street mode" could mean something completely different. I expect someone with a TSDZ2 with OSF may notice this post at some point and post a correction.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I don't generally need a throttle and have disabled mine in the bbs01 firmware data settings, but about an hour ago, while on a fun ecploration, i was climbing the cycle route 72 out of Greenhead and coming off the road to the start of an off road paved cycle way on a VERY steep climb, there was a gate to an obstacle to stop bikes on the fownhill direction, from shooring onto the road. This meant i had to stop and then start again on something like a 20% gradient. It took me three goes to get started on that hill, before the motor kicked in and got me going.
I wondered then about disabling the throttle to try and comply with the stupid regs.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't generally need a throttle and have disabled mine in the bbs01 firmware data settings, but about an hour ago, while on a fun ecploration, i was climbing the cycle route 72 out of Greenhead and coming off the road to the start of an off road paved cycle way on a VERY steep climb, there was a gate to an obstacle to stop bikes on the fownhill direction, from shooring onto the road. This meant i had to stop and then start again on something like a 20% gradient. It took me three goes to get started on that hill, before the motor kicked in and got me going.
I wondered then about disabling the throttle to try and comply with the stupid regs.

View attachment 58520
Imagine one of those barriers on an uphill sharp bend to ride past, while towing a heavy trailer circa 90kg - that's one of the few scenarios when I miss having at throttle. When I can make some space elsewhere for this piano blocking the hallway, I'll test the new throttle settings. It probably won't function as desired. As the sadly late great Sir Terry Pratchett cannily observed, "Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten."

Last edited:

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I didn't need any assist or throttles on a bike when I was under 30 and in the UK. I spent the next 33 years in Western Australia where bike helmets are compulsory-I don't like riding with them especially when it's 40deg outside, so never rode a bike there. Now back in blighty no helmet laws so back on the bike. I find it's not as easy as when I was younger, my muscles are much weaker and reactions slower. Next week I am 74 and I just don't have the same abilities as I once did I have to admit it, although in my head I'm still 19 years old. Just another daft old fart.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Next week I am 74 and I just don't have the same abilities as I once did I have to admit it, although in my head I'm still 19 years old. Just another daft old fart.
Ha ha ha - snap. Now and then I catch sight of myself in a shop window and think, 'Who is that ridiculous old git? What happened to the aspiring Clint Eastwood of yesteryear? Even then, I was highly delusional...

• :D
Reactions: vidtek and Cadence

jemimanlh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2021
I think it was on here somewhere that I read that the throttle operating only when pedalling and being limited to 4 mph only applied to distributors and sellers and not a bike or trike that was 1st used as a bicycle or trike then had an e-bike kit fitted to it.
I don't know how true that is. If false then I’m compliant apart from the throttle part with my e-bike kit.
I get away with riding my trike on footpaths and in town centres as a vehicle adapted for use by a person with walking disability under UICHR regulation 4.
It has to be limited to 4 mph on level surfaces which it is in PAS 1, 1st gear.
I’ve been stopped by the police twice who when I quoted the UICHR regs they were ok and never asked about the throttle.
Bob.
Hi Bob! I’m looking for a mobility option for my muscle disease, have you been able to use your trike in shopping centres?

Bobbo1260

Pedelecer
Oct 18, 2023
Hi Bob! I’m looking for a mobility option for my muscle disease, have you been able to use your trike in shopping centres?
Yes I have, but get challenged by security the 1st time they see me.
It meets the UK‘s requirements for ‘a vehicle constructed or adapted for use by a person with disabilities’.
Various size and weight limits apply which the trike meets easily. Other requirements are: must have a form of handbrake, 2 brakes, a non aggresive horn and be limited to 4mph.
The latter is where my compliance is a bit iffy. If I select 1st gear and PAS 1, pedaling at a steady speed it cruises at 4mph. I should point out I have 9 PAS settings with the power outputs starting at 11% increasing at 11% per PAS increase. 1 = 11%, 2 = 22%, 3 = 33% and so on.
I have also downloaded the disabled vehicle requirements onto my phone and offer the security guys the opportunity to read all 7 pages which they have all declined and have then let me on my way.
One could argue that I could shift to PAS 2 and it would travel faster than 4mph, but a mobility scooter has a 4 and 8 mph switch so it is down to the user to select the 4mph option, likewise with my trike.
Remaining calm and polite is key when challenged by town centre security as they do have the right to make you leave but there is also the rights of disabled persons that have to be considered and they have to be mindful of that.

jemimanlh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2021
Yes I have, but get challenged by security the 1st time they see me.
It meets the UK‘s requirements for ‘a vehicle constructed or adapted for use by a person with disabilities’.
Various size and weight limits apply which the trike meets easily. Other requirements are: must have a form of handbrake, 2 brakes, a non aggresive horn and be limited to 4mph.
The latter is where my compliance is a bit iffy. If I select 1st gear and PAS 1, pedaling at a steady speed it cruises at 4mph. I should point out I have 9 PAS settings with the power outputs starting at 11% increasing at 11% per PAS increase. 1 = 11%, 2 = 22%, 3 = 33% and so on.
I have also downloaded the disabled vehicle requirements onto my phone and offer the security guys the opportunity to read all 7 pages which they have all declined and have then let me on my way.
One could argue that I could shift to PAS 2 and it would travel faster than 4mph, but a mobility scooter has a 4 and 8 mph switch so it is down to the user to select the 4mph option, likewise with my trike.
Remaining calm and polite is key when challenged by town centre security as they do have the right to make you leave but there is also the rights of disabled persons that have to be considered and they have to be mindful of that.
Thank you